What Insteon device versions should I be installing

Harold

I bought a bunch of devices a few months back. I am just now beginning to install the equipment.

I am using an ISY 99i pro to control the system. I plan to use 2.7.9 alpha for the ISY. I have seen a couple of comments on this site that lead me to believe I should be using newer versions of some of the devices.

I have:

keypadLincs 2486S with stickers for V 1.2

KeypadLinc Dimmer 2486D V 1.8♦

SwitchLinc 2476S v 5.0

PLM Rev 3.1

Access Points Rev 1.6R

Should I try to get any of these replaced before I put everything in the walls?

I actually had an order ship with two different hardware revision SwitchLinc Relay Modules. I was told the 2.0 could be exchanged for the 2.1 but not much was different between them. Yes 2.1 is from an EARLY order. :wink:

Thanks for you responses.

It does yet again, raise the issue of why Insteon will not provide a method of user firmware updates. Assuming they use a reprogrammable memory device in the units already (given the frequency of firmware change) to avoid vast bins of obsolete devices. The processor is capable of moving data around via I/O ports. One would suspect that the ones that go back are simply reprogrammed and resold. A simple loader kept out of the firmware update area or a upload stream that starts with a boot loader, could handle the update. Just like so very many devices on the market.

I keep seeing suggestions on the board about not being able to do that because of the high voltages inside the Insteon device. Simple voltage isolation is easy, and pretty cheap, to achieve. Probably the simplest would be a photodiode (about the cost of an extra LED) with some simple passives and a software port reader. Then you sell a simple usb (or, less optimally, RS 232, since such ports are disappearing from PCs) to optical box (which could be built quite inexpensively) and you have user updates. You could also use inductive coupling, but it would probably be more expensive. Then your PC or laptop can download and install new firmware. At the very least this eliminates the hassle and expense of exchanging units, cost of reprogramming the old ones at Insteon, and greatly improving customer satisfaction.

AS many have said, so often, it makes no sense to not have a user firmware update method for a product with such frequent firmware updates that have so significant effect on usability. And when the device is buried in your wall and taking it out makes your lights stop working.

It just does not feel hard. Why won't they do it?

I't is unfortunate that the devices cannot be field upgraded.

I would pay to have some of my devices upgraded if it were an option. I just hate to decommision a perfectly working device and pay full price for one with a new useful feature.

I used to buy somewhat bulk, especially when on sale, but now I have some new old stock still in the box that are quite outdated. My options are to install them where I don't need some of the newer features or Ebay them for 1/2 the cost I paid and buy new ones.

How about an Upgrade offer Smarthome? :D

No schematics available but some data on the programming jacks is available at.

http://efundies.com/guides/

One very important thing. If the device is being powered by AC. Most modules use a power line derived supply. +5 volts logic is many times directly connected to the AC Hot Line. :!:

I believe the programming jack maybe able to power the controller but I don't know for sure. Even if you could get it to work. Smartlabs isn't gong to give you the code and I would expect the security bit would be set so you could not read the code from another module.

It seems to me that if a module has a malfunction that is related to a firmware problem it should be covered under warranty, so perhaps that is some help for modules still covered under warranty.

Still would be nice to be able to simply field upgrade or pay for an upgrade.

Archived