Do I NEED to upgrade ISY994 for IoP migration?

I guess I'm looking at migrating to Polisy due to issues with my PLMs, and general unavailability of replacements (I recapped one, but it still acts flaky).  I'm still running 4.9.0 on the ISY994zw.  Do I have to upgrade to 5.3 on the 994 to get a "migratable" dump to restore on Polisy?  Just hoping to not add another possible failure aspect to the move.

Thanks in advance for advice.

-Alan

35 minutes ago, webminster said:

I guess I'm looking at migrating to Polisy due to issues with my PLMs, and general unavailability of replacements (I recapped one, but it still acts flaky).  I'm still running 4.9.0 on the ISY994zw.  Do I have to upgrade to 5.3 on the 994 to get a "migratable" dump to restore on Polisy?  Just hoping to not add another possible failure aspect to the move.

Thanks in advance for advice.

-Alan

I can't answer the questions whether a 4.9 backup is directly restorable on Polisy, I would imagine you will need to upgrade to V5 first, (perhaps @Michel Kohanim can respond to that).

That said.  be careful, if you have version 4.9 your z-wave board is likely a 300 series (unless you specifically upgraded that).   Open the Admin console and check the Z-wave version from the z-wave menu at the top.  If the answer is 4.55.00 you have a 300 series z-wave board, if the answer is 6.81.00 then you do have a 500 series board. 

Why is that important??? you can only upgrade to 5.0.16C if you have a 300 series (version 4.55.00) z-wave board.  If you have a 500 series (version 6.81.00) then you can upgrade to 5.3.4 (and not 5.3.0).

Upgrade is fairly straight forward.  However if any of your programs use the feature "Adjust Scene" then those programs require manual intervention.

The Polisy requires that you have a PLM if you're using Insteon. There is currently no migration option for Z-wave, so you would have to start from scratch.

You should first update your ISY firmware to 5.016C. Read the update notes as you'll most likely have to rebuild some programs and scenes. Your current Z-wave system is irrelevant as you'll need a Zooz 700 series dongle for your Polisy

Once you've got a stable ISY then you can migrate to the Polisy. The link below should provide answers to any questions you may have.

https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/164-polisy/ 

Thanks for the replies... I do have the old zwave board, but I've never actually moved forward with any zwave devices (so there's no devices or topology there to move).  I'm assuming that if I've never used any zwave, the empty board won't cause any migration issues...

I'm aware I need a PLM of some sort, so I have purchased the 2448A7 USB PLM.  Would seem unless I can find another 2413S, it's this way or retool everything.

My programs don't use any "adjust scene" or other stuff, so I'm guessing this is not a risky upgrade... but I did not want to take another risk if I don't need to.

-Alan

17 hours ago, webminster said:

I'm assuming that if I've never used any zwave, the empty board won't cause any migration issues...

Since the z-wave board is unused you can upgrade to 5.3.4.

17 hours ago, webminster said:

My programs don't use any "adjust scene" or other stuff, so I'm guessing this is not a risky upgrade... but I did not want to take another risk if I don't need to.

When you back up your ISY just before the upagrade to V5.3.4 also create a text back up of your programs.  To do that, open the admin console, click on the top folder (usually named "My Programs" but might be something else if you changed it or started originally with a much older ISY), Now right click that folder and choose "Copy Folder to Clipboard".   Now open any old text editor that won't add formatting... windows notepad is perfect, click into that window and paste the clipboard.  Save As the file with a .txt extension.   Now if you want to see what your program looked like before the upgrade you have a reference.

The first thing to do when you get back into the admin console after the upgrade is to check Help > About and compare your Firmware and UI versions.  If they are not exactly the same, STOP, fix that problem... Likely clear your java cache including installed Applications and Applets and then install the ISY Launcher from https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp .  The first time the launcher is run, it will install an Icon on your desktop image.png.f84a5c998e040e439fdc71176f130d8d.png that should always run the correct versions of the admin console going forward.  The Launcher is a new tool to the arsenal invented in 2018 to solve the browser security warnings and launch the correct version of the admin console.

Finally, the second thing to do after you're verified the firmware and UI versions is head to Programs > Summary tab... look for the color Yellow.. If you see any yellow it means one of two things... 1) the program needs manual attention or fixing and likely has an "Adjust Scene" in it or 2) you ignored the above paragraph and have mixed firmware and UI versions. ?

Good luck.... version 4 to version 5 updates are not difficult anymore.

• Like 1

I was having issues as well with my Plm's and through the course of upgrading to the Polisy (which didnt change my plm comm issues) i unplugged one of my insteon outdoor on/off modules on a whim to swap it for a new zwave one  and all my issues went away. I also was not upgraded to the most current ISY when I loaded the save to my polisy and pretty much no issues yet. 

Let us know how your journey goes

• 3 weeks later...