How many scenes can you have without chaos?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I am really really loving the IR functionality with my universal remote & the ISY. It is really fun, the WAF factor is off the charts.

I was curious about using scenes in some programs.

I am considering making some ISY only scenes that would only get triggered by IR.

I am a little concerned about adding devices to to many scenes and what might cause issues.

I have 14 scenes right now, some are basic (family room scene - 3 items), some are larger (goodnight scene, every device), etc.

In my living room scene, i have a 2 way switch (Family room main, family room no load) that are in a scene, then I have 1 other switch.

I currently have this program:

If
       IR 'Downstairs' is Pressed
   And Status  'Family Room: Main' is Off

Then
       Set Scene 'Scene: Family Room' Fast On
       Set Scene 'Scene: Garage Controls' Fast On
       Set Scene 'Scene: Laundry Room' Fast On
       Set 'Office: Light' On
       Set 'Office: Bathroom' Fast On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Am I better off, adding all the items of the "then" into a new scene, with no controller (as the IR is the catalyst)? When I run the scene it is a little slow as it does one item at a time (expected).

I have a number of other IR buttons I am working on as well.

Should I make all these groups of items scenes? Am I making things over complicated?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi,

I am really really loving the IR functionality with my universal remote & the ISY. It is really fun, the WAF factor is off the charts.

Excellent!

Am I better off, adding all the items of the "then" into a new scene, with no controller (as the IR is the catalyst)? When I run the scene it is a little slow as it does one item at a time (expected).

I have a number of other IR buttons I am working on as well.

Should I make all these groups of items scenes? Am I making things over complicated?

Yes. Make new scenes. Insteon devices can be members of over 400 scenes.

Rand

Rich:

How are you using IR with your ISY?

I have an IR capable ISY-99, but it is in a closet in my basement. I have thought of ways to get the IR down there, but haven't made it happen yet.

Are you using the your TV remote to send the IR signals? I've thought of programming the IR code that turns on my Audio system to do certain things to the lights.

thanks,

someguy

Hi,

I am using a Universal Remote (MX-850) with a MXF-350 repeater. I have teh ISY plugged into my wall & I have cat5 in the same area upstairs by my TV. The remote sends an RF signal which the MXF-350 can hear from some distance & translates that into an IR signal.

That signal runs a program on the ISY.

Its a sweet setup & the UD folks make an excellent product. My wife loves it!

Theres an IR section & I am by no means an expert (Mike B is excellent at it though). Feel free to ask any questions & I will be happy to help as much as I can.

Thanks,

Rich

Archived