"Request Failed" changing PLM Communication retries

webminster

Running a 994zw with firmware 5.3.4.  If I select one of my switches (2466S), and select Advanced / PLM Communications, and change the retries, a popup "Request failed" is shown... but I also see in the background a popup showing writes at the device.

How can I be sure that the retries actually changed?  Happens on more than one device, and if I go back into the PLM dialog again it shows the right value...  Thanks for any advice.

Capture.PNG

You can watch your Event Viewer window to see what's actually happening.  You can also watch the Event Viewer afer the fact to watch how many retries are occurring.

that said, if you're increasing retries to 5 and your system is very large you may be creating greater traffic collision issues.   The real solution to the problem is to solve the communication issue.

I understand about solving the comm issues... and I've been trying fruitlessly for awhile.  My system isn't very large and doesn't have too many issues, but there's a few I'm trying to see if a couple more retries might help.  What I did question was why the error popup... Not sure if this is a firmware 5.x issue (I recently upgraded to 5.3.4), or something else.

13 hours ago, webminster said:

Not sure if this is a firmware 5.x issue (I recently upgraded to 5.3.4), or something else.

@webminster Will you confirm UI/FW match? (UI = User Interface, FW = Firmware)

Since you say you recently upgraded please check the Firmware and User Interface versions match. If they don't this can sometimes cause similar errors. 

In Admin Console menu -> Help -> About

It should match and look similar to this: (if you're using a PLM)

image.png

If these versions don't match make sure you clear your Java cache (checking all 3 boxes in the process) and then download a new file of the ISY Launcher found at https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp. (Make sure you're downloading a NEW file and not using an old version of admin.jnlp or even start.jnlp that you might have downloaded in the past. 

Steps for installing admin console on the desktop can be found in the wiki  - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Installing_the_Admin_Console_Icon_on_Your_Desktop

The "new" (since 2018) launcher method is the best use method to make sure that UI/FW always match.

@webminster

Increasing the PLM retries increases traffic on the Insteon mesh network and could interfere with some of your Insteon traffic.

It's possible that either both sides of your powerline are not bridged or that you have noise on the powerline. I would first focus on these two rather than increasing the retries.

17 hours ago, Techman said:

@webminster

Increasing the PLM retries increases traffic on the Insteon mesh network and could interfere with some of your Insteon traffic.

It's possible that either both sides of your powerline are not bridged or that you have noise on the powerline. I would first focus on these two rather than increasing the retries.

Yea there's another problem here for sure, and it would be better to solve that problem than up retries to 5, which will create a new issue.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, MrBill said:

Yea there's another problem here for sure, and it would be better to solve that problem than up retries to 5, which will create a new issue.

Understood, and I've been trying for a long time to solve the issues.  A lot of my network is powerline only (the toggle switchlincs are needed for WAF, and they're not dual band).  I do have 7-8 LampLinc modules at various places in the house, some of which aren't actually controlling anything - hoping that they'd act as repeaters/bridges.  Based on the distribution of them, I'd hope they'd help fix the lighting control issues - but I don't know how to be sure the signals are good on the lighting circuits.

Between the plugging and unplugging, the lamplincs, FilterLincs on UPSes and other potential noise sources... was hoping bumping this up a smidge might help.

I have tried the 4-tap in the past and found the phases covered... I will try it again this weekend (and probably trying another repaired PLM).  Been trying for (literally) years to get my system stable.  I have to use mostly single-band devices for light switches.  Issues have spanned multiple ISY's, PLMs, etc.

And, 90% or more of my devices are on lighting circuits.  I can't check lighting circuits specifically (can't plug anything in exactly).  Is there any recommendations for checking for noise or other issues for lighting circuits?

As mentioned, I have a bunch of the Lamplinc modules all around the house.

-Alan

The older single band devices could be somewhat problematic. The dual band, also known as I2cs, had improved firmware and hardware. I've had situations where an older device failed and created noise on the powerline which interfered with the Insteon signals. 

Take a look at the troubleshooting section on the UDI Wiki. 

TVs, UPS, and other electronic equipment can create noise on the powerline. You can eliminate the noise using a powerline filter. CFL bulbs can also cause problems. Also take a look at your error logs for any possible problems.

Thanks... I've been through all those guides, and added filtering, moved devices around, but my house is probably 90 percent reliable still... Direct device control is better than scenes (and I understand that scenes are more fire-and-forget, no acks), and I can't correlate the failures to something else that would make noise or something.  If it's a switch or lamplinc defective?  how would you know if it's not obviously malfunctioning?

The links for a scene reside in the devices themselves. You could remove the PLM and the scenes would still work. If you're having trouble with scenes try doing a restore device for each device in the scene. That will rebuild their link tables and may help.

Troubleshooting is a trial-and-error process. You could pull out the set button on the devices and/or unplug them one at a time in order to narrow down the offending device.

Archived