Ecolink Chime/Alarm (review)

oskrypuch

Yes, the ISY recognized them. Click on default sound and you should see all the numbered files on the SD card. Mine goes up to 52

I had to reformat the SD card to FAT16 in order to get it to work properly.

------------------------

From the manual

"SD-Card - To override the built-in sounds via the SD-Card format an SD-card with a FAT16 filesystem. The sounds on the SD card must start with a decimal number followed by the name of the sound with a .wav file extension. The encoding for the wav file must be mono.

• Like 1

Well, for good measure reformatted the card to FAT (16). No difference, with one exception.

The unit still sometimes will not recognize the WAV files. I just pop the SD card out, and push it back in. Often the light will flash on the Ecolink. Eventually the WAV files are found.

And, looks like the admin panel has finally picked up the "new" WAV files, starting at 31 and above. Not sure if it was my fiddling with the card in the Ecolink, or it just needed a restart or two, but I can access tones over 30 now.

So, what I have now is working for me, even if it is a bit fiddly in application, kind of a "jiggle the cords" kind of thing.

I will probably hesitate to make any changes now, in case that throws it off again. 😉

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

Three other observations.

The extra WAV files have to be sequencial, so you need 31 xyz.wav, then 32 abc.wav, etc., else the ISY picks up the number of files, but doesn't refer to them by name but rather by index. Weird.

So if you have ...

... and you ask to play 36, you won't find it. You will find 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 in the list box. AND, if you ask it to play #35, you will instead get #37 !

Further, I had to QUERY the device, to get the extra files referenced and available.

Lastly, The other thing I notice, is pulling the power on the Ecolink, does not kill it, it has some sort of power backup, perhaps a large Cap to carry it through power outages.

So, if you really want to power cycle it, it might have to stay unplugged for a while.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

So, updated ...

• Audacity (free, open source) does the job nicely for recording the custom WAV files
  • 8Khz sampling (contrary to the leaflet in the box!)
  • mono, 16bit PCM
  • Format 2GB card as default FAT (FAT16)
  • WAV files must start with a two digit number, so requires a leading zero for <=9 (eg. "01 my alert.wav")
  • add additional (>30) WAV files sequentially, 31, 32, 33 etc.
  • substitute WAV files (<=30) can be one or many
  • file name may require a following space after the number
  • if the additional WAV files are not visible in the admin panel to select, then query the device
  • you may need to power-off/power-on the Ecolink, or remove/insert the SD card more than once, to get the WAV files to be initially recognized
Edited by oskrypuch
  • Thanks 1