Standalone version of the Administrative Console

rowland

A standalone version of the Administrative Console would be nice. I.e. it wouldn't require an open browser page. It could be a complete standalone - you'd need to have Java installed and would be started by executing a .jar. Alternatively, Java Web Start is also a nice way to go.

I'm guessing that a separate code thread would be needed for the GUI; I don't know how much of a hassle that'd be.

Thanks, but I'm not having issues with starting it. I'm suggesting an additional way of running the console. The existing way of running it would still remain.

This isn't a high priority with me. Just suggesting that if it were easy, or there are other reasons for creating a standalone version, it ought to be considered.

You talking about how it is started. I'm talking about how it is running. It'd be nice if there was an additional configuration that doesn't require that it run inside the browser.

Everytime I need to stop the browser, the console stops has to stop also. A different way of starting the console inside the browser won't help me.

I use single dedicated web browser just for the ISY. Then I use another browser for my web surfing. The ISY web browser sits minimized in the start bar and I don't touch it for anything else.

Anyways this question has been asked before and the response has been the same thing that it is on the bottom of the list and does not really follow the plan for the ISY.

At some point I hope to write a utility myself that could sit down in the start bar and launch the Java engine and ISY so it would not have to run in a web browser.

Hello all:

I also would like to see the browser window minimize when opening. But really, its just a small issue.

I mean, the whole point of the ISY is that it doesn't require an "always on" computer or proprietary program. So why would you want to keep the console running anyway, unless you are troubleshooting something?

On the flip side is that all I need on any Windows computer in my home to access my ISY controller is JRE 1.6. In fact, if you configure the console for a fixed IP, and use the console html address, you don't even need to have UPnP turned on (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:64281/0/p.html).

It's really great that I can update the code from my main workstation PC, programming my network from my office, and then pick up my laptop, login to the console, and voila! everything is the exact same way that it was running on my main PC. I don't need to load any "updated software" on one PC, and then do it again on the next PC.

I have had some considerable communication problems that I've had to work through (and am starting to have some success). The last time that I was moving AccessPoints and Filterlincs around, it was great to be able to take my laptop with me wherever I went, and still be able to control my ISY via my wireless LAN. Although the graphics are a little plain, the functionality is just fantastic.

In short, I can put up with the minor detail of the browser window being opened. I just minimize it and leave it open.

rowland,

I do agree with you that a standalone version would be nice. And, since you are part of the ISY Developer Program, would you be interested in implementing it?

With kind regards,

Michel

A standalone version of the Administrative Console would be nice. I.e. it wouldn't require an open browser page. It could be a complete standalone - you'd need to have Java installed and would be started by executing a .jar. Alternatively, Java Web Start is also a nice way to go.

I'm guessing that a separate code thread would be needed for the GUI; I don't know how much of a hassle that'd be.

Archived