Added Aoetec Smart Switch 7

oskrypuch

A pair of appliance lincs were running two sets of curtains. Both units about 12 years old, the one was getting a little flakey and not energizing to command, on occasion. Figured the other might start to go as well. Decided to replace both, and got the SS7 for that.

I ordered them from the Aeotec store online (couldn't find the 7 anywhere else), didn't realize that they would ship from Hong Kong! After a couple of weeks, still no units, emailed support, they said they were stuck in Customs and I had to contact DHL. Seems they needed some $ for customs, got that sorted out.

Units are very nice and compact, added them with no issues. The usual gazzilion nodes popped up, stored all but one in my unused node folder. Disabled the power reporting data, as I don't need it. Set the auto-off for 17 seconds so I only need to send an ON command, that toggles the curtains open/close state.

Tweaked the programming, and they are working great. Also, given their location, will be great repeaters, especially since they are external units.

Well, I guess a boring story, usually is when you meet with success!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

Yes, it is very comprehensive in its reports if you need them, using trigger levels for power and current, and reporting currrent voltage, current and load. If you don't want the reports, you can turn them all off to reduce traffic.

I'm monitoring the voltage.

Nice little device!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, Techman said:

Another upside to the Smart Switch 7 is that it displays line voltage and current. If you have your Polisy / ISY, router and modem on a UPS then you can use the Smart Switch to notify you in the event of a power failure.

How would this work, exactly?  Once the Smart Switch 7 looses power, it won't report anything, so if it's before the UPS then you'll just get no report at all from it (which could be done with almost any device, not just a smart switch 7).  If it's behind the UPS, it'll just be reporting the line voltage out of the UPS.

The only effective way I've found of reporting on an outage is to use a Ping Node server to poll a device that only has A/C power.  Or simply to query the UPS itself if it supports such reporting - better ones do.

9 hours ago, jec6613 said:

Except what's powering the switch to send that?

That's a good question because when power is removed from the device, ISY doesn't update  the "current voltage" in the admin console. 

3 hours ago, dbuss said:

That's a good question because when power is removed from the device, ISY doesn't update  the "current voltage" in the admin console. 

Exactly, the voltmeter you're using needs a power source to send the update.  There are any number of devices that can be battery or or UPS powered but can detect voltage presence external to their own power source, but this isn't one of them.

Side note: Those nifty Z-Wave replacements for IOLincs (ZEN17 comes to mind) can do this, as they can be externally powered and detect a 12-24V signal, such as your doorbell transformer provides - though lacking that any old 12-24V wall wart with the connector cut off would work.