Does "Restore Device" overwrite all links?

yardman 49

Hello Michel:

Based on a previous finding, you indicated that the manual "Add Insteon Device" may not be properly overwriting existing links (as per 2.4.13). If this indeed proves to be the case, is it possible to use "Restore Device" to download ISY created links to the device and erase all others (including any broken links?).

Thanks

Yes, Restore Device re-writes all ISY created links back to the device, and removes all other links in the device.

Chris:

Something seems to be wrong, then. I had some corrupted links in an InLineLinc. I could not remove the links, no matter what I did, without factory resetting the InLineLinc. Even the Restore Device did not fix the problem.

Chris & Michel:

I think that I can now confirm that "Restore Device" is not deleting all existing links, at least on 2.4.13.

I was bringing an InLineLinc into the ISY. As I would have had to do a circuit power off and then hold the set button on power up (and since I'm not part of the Fantastic 4) I decided to just use Houselinc to remove all the links. Bad move!

It turned out that there was a broken link lurking in there. No matter what I tried, I could not remove the link from the KPL button.

Finally, after a couple of hours of frustration, I was able to remove it via the Insteon manual method from the KPL pad where it was residing (SteveL would have been proud of me!).

So, let me summarize:

- In 2.4.13, choosing "Remove Existing Links" when adding an Insteon device does not work.

- In 2.4.13, choosing "Restore Device" appears to not remove existing links when it adds the ISY links.

- In 2.4.13, choosing "Add Devices Found in Links and Remove Existing Links" when adding an Insteon device, also does not work (I previously reported this) as it also seems to bring in existing links.

If you could look into this when you guys get back from EHX, this would be a great help to my sanity!

Part two of this: is there anyway to see "broken links" in scenes? It's too bad there's not a widget available to us that would query the entire link table of the device, beyond any high-water marks, so that we could see what was happening.

Thank you.

1) "Remove Existing Links"

This is fixed in the next drop

2) "Restore Devices"

Restore Devices adds back all the links known to ISY for that device, and deletes all others.

When you originally linked the device, did you choose the "keep existing links" option? If so, ISY will have kept a copy of all those links, and will add them back if you do "Restore Device".

3) "Add Devices Found in Links and Remove Existing Links"

I'll try to recreate the problem here.

4) Remove Device -

In some cases when a device is removed from ISY, the link database file was not being deleted (basically when it could not communicate with the device). This would cause old links to be retained even after adding the device back, and may be the source of some of your problems.

This is fixed for the next drop.

5) Hopefully we can prevent you from losing your sanity ... its too late for some of us :)

1) "Remove Existing Links"

This is fixed in the next drop

2) "Restore Devices"

Restore Devices adds back all the links known to ISY for that device, and deletes all others.

When you originally linked the device, did you choose the "keep existing links" option? If so, ISY will have kept a copy of all those links, and will add them back if you do "Restore Device".

3) "Add Devices Found in Links and Remove Existing Links"

I'll try to recreate the problem here.

4) Hopefully we can prevent you from losing your sanity ... its too late for some of us :)

It just occured to me: If "Remove Existing Links" is indeed broke, then doing a "Restore Devices" will restore my bad links also. So, even if I did not choose "Keep Existing Links", since the "Remove Existing Links" is still keeping the links anyway, then of course the "Restore Devices" will be operating with bad data.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris:

You wrote:

4) Remove Device -

In some cases when a device is removed from ISY, the link database file was not being deleted (basically when it could not communicate with the device). This would cause old links to be retained even after adding the device back, and may be the source of some of your problems.

Just to let you know: my communication problems are resolved. So at least this is out of the equation as a source of the problem.

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank,

How wonderful! Would you be kind enough to let us know how you resolved your communications problems? Your diagnosis is going to be invaluable in helping others with the same issues.

I sincerely appreciate it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Chris:

You wrote:

4) Remove Device -

Just to let you know: my communication problems are resolved. So at least this is out of the equation as a source of the problem.

Best wishes,

Frank

Archived