Bought a used 2448A7 as a back up stick. What is the best way to test it (without messing up my working system)?

waffles

10 minutes ago, waffles said:

As the title says....

Looking for some best practice tips what to do and also what NOT to do.

I am using a 2448A7 already on my Polisy (IoP).

Thanks!

Same process as swapping out a PLM. Best practice would be to read the wiki and follow it. Not following would be what not to do.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_.28PLM.29

Also, make sure you have a recent backup of your system before doing anything 

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 2

I don't know if 15 hours ago is to long ago to stop you.  BUT I wouldn't do that, especially if you have a lot of Insteon modules.  Here's why, when you replace the modem in the system the modem  has a new AB.CD.01 insteon address, and that new address must be written to EVERY LINK in EVERY DEVICE.   It can take a long time, and unless your communication is perfect there will probably be at least a few broken links somewhere.  Then that process must be repeated when you swap back, again opening up the possibility for communication error caused broken links.   If the Insteon system is small it wouldn't be too big of a deal.  If it had 150 devices like mine does, I'd never do it.

As far as the best way to test it, there really isn't a best way without a second Polisy.  The second best way would be to back up your polisy, unplug it from the current PLM and set it aside, then clear your Polisy and install the USB stick PLM and test it with a few random devices.  You could also test the hardware with other software via a PC, I don't know what other software to recommend.

There's absolutely no way that I would rewrite all the links in my insteon system without a dead modem.  You're asking for trouble if you swap the device in.  Again if you have a small system, like 10-12 devices, it wouldn't be hard to fix problems, in a larger system tho, the rewrites will takes hours (swap modem) and not be prefect in the end.

• Like 1

I was tempted to perform the test last night, but did not find the time. My system is fairly elaborate, so with this in mind, I might just hold off until I am forced to swap the sticks.

(When I did the upgrade from ISY/PLM to IoP/USB it took quite some effort to get it all working again. I am sure most was caused by me taking wrong turns, but if I do not have to go through this ever again, I'd be happy.) 

2 hours ago, waffles said:

(When I did the upgrade from ISY/PLM to IoP/USB it took quite some effort to get it all working again. I am sure most was caused by me taking wrong turns, but if I do not have to go through this ever again, I'd be happy.) 

It's exactly the same process.  and yes it's gruesome.  I've done one PLM change and my system was much smaller then.   The worst of it is that every device needs updating.