ISY994i (zigbee SEP1.1) - not booting after a power outage today

I have my 994i hooked up to a UPS, but after a ~4 hour power outage (I was away), the 994i won't boot back into a stable state.  When I power cycle it, regardless of what cables are attached (modem/network), the Power LED is almost solid blue with no other lights coming on (it's flashing at a high frequency).  I haven't been able to access the device over the network.

How do I proceed trouble shooting it?

Does this seem like a wall wart issue (not providing enough power), or an internal storage/sd card issue?

If I have a backup just prior to moving to the 5.x series of firmware, will reloading that onto a re-imaged sd card (with the most recent 4.x firmware) bring back both my insteon setup/programs and my zigbee access to my smart meter?

Thanks for any help.

Ah - appears to be a power supply issue.  I have a programmable power adapter (with a range of plugs) and once I used that to power the 994i, it booted right up.

Scary though.  Is there a way for me to backup the firmware image as well as the user settings, in case the on board memory dies?  Would I just contact UD and ask for a new SD card to be shipped to me, then rely on the user setting backup to get the insteon and the smart meter integration back up and running?

Thanks!

Yes. UDI sells a replacement. My first one was a 5V 500Ma.

The ISY994i has wide input voltage range. 5V to 30V 1 or more amps. 5.5 mm barrel and a 2.2 mm center pin.

Many here have used 12V. 1 or 2 amp just fine.

UDI presently is selling a 12V 2 Amp in their sales site. Near the bottom of the page. https://www.universal-devices.com/store/

Edited by Brian H
  • Like 2

@fisix

Answering your backup restore questions.  Backup the ISY frequently.  I keep all backup for around a year or whenever I think to go prune that folder since i never really look at it. (I keep all because in the event of a corrupt backup and can just regress until i find one that works.)  

In the event that your ISY994 needs to be factory reset, you would do that first.  It comes back up with basic boot loader firmware, at which time you refer to the filename of the backup that you want to restore to find what firmware version you were running.  Then download and re-install that firmware version, finally restore your backup.

1. Factory reset
  2. Install Correct firmware
  3. Restore backup
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, fisix said:

Is there a way for me to backup the firmware image as well as the user settings

Not together. As @MrBill points out if you have to reset you must reinstall the firmware (simple process). Then restore the backup to get all your "user settings" (I assume you mean devices, scenes, programs, etc.). 

Process for resetting the ISY994 is found in the wiki - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Resetting_Your_ISY

12 hours ago, fisix said:

in case the on board memory dies?  Would I just contact UD and ask for a new SD card to be shipped to me, then rely on the user setting backup to get the insteon and the smart meter integration back up and running?

You would need to buy a new MicroSD card (for the ISY994). Then you would need to go through the process outlined in the wiki - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing/Formatting_an_SD_Card

You should take some time to read the wiki. Really lots of information in there for all your questions above. Including power supply requirements.

• Like 1

Thanks all - great info.

I guess I'll go with the 12V wall wart... I hesitate to switch up from a 5v supply - that's lasted me this long without issues (will an internal regulator be working harder/hotter with a 12V input?), but seems alright if UD suggests it.

When you had the older 2412S connected to it. The power was sent through the serial cable and was closer to 20VDC. No wall wart needed.

I believe it has a switching supply with a wide range for the DC input.

Edited by Brian H
Add stuff
  • Like 1

Thanks Brian, more great info. 

I see a few nice looking switching 5V 2A warts that cost the same as the UD 12V one (with Prime shipping) but come with a range of additional plugs, including a 2 screw terminal plug that I can attach to any wart with the 5mm/2mm barrel plug.  I'll probably go with that, just for the sameness and the additional plugs.

I looked for some 12V warts with similar amenities and the normal safety features, but either they were the kind of wart that blocks other plugs or they didn't look/spec out as super sturdy.