removing leftover links in PLM

markens

Apologies if this is answered somewhere else, but I can't put my hands on the info right now. So...

I installed several new switchlincs today, to replace V.35 units giving me some problems. Everything worked as expected until I checked the PLM links table after I was done programming. And I found two dead links there for each of the switches I had removed (PLM group 0 and 1).

My main question: Given this situation, how does one remove dead links in the PLM when there is no matching device remaining in the ISY?

How I got there:

- Physically removed old switches and installed new switches.

- Added new switches to ISY with slightly different names from old.

- Added new switches to appropriate scenes and adjusted program references to new devices. (Could not use "replace device" function because new switches are evidently seen as incompatible devices.)

- Removed old switches from ISY; they were removed from scenes and My Lighting ok, but saw "incomplete removal" error after each one. Perhaps because of attempts to remove cross-links from devices which were no longer there?

I wanted to leave the old switches in ISY until new switches added, to make it easier to go through and add new ones to the right scenes and adjust programs.

Secondary question - Is there a better way to have done this device swapping? Interesting that all the scene links were removed from the PLM ok, but not the base group 0 and 1 links. ???

I solved it for my situation by temporarily connecting each old switch to power, then adding to ISY followed by removing it. This removed the errant links from the PLM, and all is good. But there must be a way to do this from the ISY without the devices present. Right?

BTW, the new switchlincs (v.38) seem to have solved the issues I was seeing with the v.35 switches. Not a single error so far.

Thanks,

--Mark

Michel,

What firmware version did you use to remove your SWLs?

I'm running 2.7.7, for all operations mentioned in first post.

File | Restore Modem (PLM) fixes all these issues but please make sure you either use 2.7.7 or 2.7.11 if you so choose to perform this operation.

I thought this might be the answer, but didn't want to risk it before knowing for sure.

Does the Restore PLM option simply rewrite all links to the PLM from its internal device state, removing stale links in the process (similar to Restore Device for a device)?

Thanks,

--Mark

Hi Mark,

ISY maintains a copy of all the linkages between all your devices and the PLM. Restore Modem is going to use this information and recreate the links in the PLM.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Yes. As long as you do not have any links in your ISY, the PLM is first factory reset and then all active links are written back to it.

Sorry for being dense here, but what do you mean by "links in your ISY"? The rest makes sense to me.

Thanks,

--Mark

Michel,

ISY maintains a copy of all the linkages between all your devices and the PLM. Restore Modem is going to use this information and recreate the links in the PLM.

Okay, I understand this part. But it doesn't (I think) answer my question. Expanding the quote a bit and restating my question: What do you mean by your earlier statement "As long as you do not have any links in your ISY" in this context? Seems to indicate that there must be no links in the ISY before it can write ISY's links to the PLM. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

--Mark

Mark,

I am totally lost as to what your question is. If you have any left over links in your ISY, i.e. if ISY thinks there are still devices registered in ISY, then restore PLM is going to write them to the PLM.

If you are absolutely certain that all your devices HAVE BEEN REMOVED then you do not have to worry about it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Okay, I understand this part. But it doesn't (I think) answer my question. Expanding the quote a bit and restating my question: What do you mean by your earlier statement "As long as you do not have any links in your ISY" in this context? Seems to indicate that there must be no links in the ISY before it can write ISY's links to the PLM. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

--Mark

Michel,

I am totally lost as to what your question is.

I'm simply trying to get clarification on that earlier statement you made, which does not seem to me to be consistent with itself. Perhaps we're using terminology differently. Just to make sure I understand this...

If you have any left over links in your ISY, i.e. if ISY thinks there are still devices registered in ISY, then restore PLM is going to write them to the PLM.

So, any devices that currently reside in My Lighting on the ISY should have links present in the PLM. And restore PLM writes all those links (and effectively deletes all other links). Correct? This seems the important concept here.

If you are absolutely certain that all your devices HAVE BEEN REMOVED then you do not have to worry about it.

This is what I don't understand. I don't want "all" my devices to be removed, only some of them. Is this what you actually mean here? I.e., that devices I intended to be removed have actually been removed, as opposed to the devices that I want to stay? How is one absolutely certain (as you say) of this? In my case, there was no indication of the devices in My Lighting, so they appeared to have been removed. I didn't know there was a problem until I dumped the PLM links table. Is this how to make certain?

Or, pay more attention to the event log to notice the "incomplete" error message, and assume errant links in this case?

Thanks,

--Mark

Hi Mark, apologies for the confusion.

Michel,

So, any devices that currently reside in My Lighting on the ISY should have links present in the PLM. And restore PLM writes all those links (and effectively deletes all other links). Correct? This seems the important concept here.

Correct

This is what I don't understand. I don't want "all" my devices to be removed, only some of them. Is this what you actually mean here? I.e., that devices I intended to be removed have actually been removed, as opposed to the devices that I want to stay?

Correct.

How is one absolutely certain (as you say) of this? In my case, there was no indication of the devices in My Lighting, so they appeared to have been removed. I didn't know there was a problem until I dumped the PLM links table. Is this how to make certain?

All you have to do is to make sure they are NOT listed in My Lighting. If you have add communications errors where some of your devices still have the green 0101 icons, then you would want to make sure all of them are written and that you do not have any green icons.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived