Possible to reinstall Polisy OS (firmware)?

kaplansa

It's possible I may have FUBAR'd my Polisy, maybe by rebooting it before an update completed, not sure.  I'm getting strange errors when IoT starts up, for instance, that suggest to me the OS is corrupt or possibly incomplete.  I've even gone into SSH and deleted and re-installed ISY on Polisy just to be certain these errors aren't something that reinstalling ISY wouldn't fix.  

More examples of where my Polisy isn't working right, when I do a package update from the ISY Admin Console, I get 5 beeps, sometimes 6, but never 4.  Similarly, if I click "restart IoT" from the IoT Admin Console, IoT never comes back online (can't see it in ISY Launcher), yet ISY Launcher suspiciously sees something because of the way it hangs like it's waiting for something (not normal behavior when everything works fine).  In this scenario, only pulling the actual plug from the device will restart the device.  In fact, the only way to restart IoT without having to pull the plug is by clicking the "Reboot" button in IoT.

I have a ticket open with Michel who's been amazing to work with, but knowing that he has a million other responsibilities that don't include just me, what I'd like to do is re-flash my Polisy if such a method exists.  For instance, on the ISY994i you could insert a fresh SD card.  What method exists on Polisy to literally factory reset it with a proper OS that I promise not to accidentally screw up this time? 

Thanks!

image.png.5e26689395db424ca3951a7782498f80.png

error2.png

Edited by kaplansa
  • Like 1
I would wait until Michel gets on this from your open ticket.

I assume you meant to use the acronym IoP, as IoT has a different meaning typically, and may confuse some.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lol. You are correct. I meant IoP… But technically, isn’t IoP an IoT? Hah.

Michel is obviously amazing and he’s called me “trigger happy” more than once from attempting my own hot fixes while waiting for his reply. Maybe that should be my new nickname.

I do get the sense however that I screwed up the underlying operating system somehow and it’s nothing a good re-image wouldn’t solve but I should probably take your advice and wait…

Yours in the IoT!

— Trigger Happy

OG ISY and UDI SuperFan
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, MrBill said:
There appears to be a method as described in this post.  However the BalenaEtcher method has never been disclosed in the forum or the wiki.  The wiki says: If you are a geek, you can reflash your SSD yourself. Please submit a ticket

Interestingly, my situation is nearly identical to that post. I also purchased my Polisy during the OG pre-order and let it sit and probably messed it up similarly although not exactly. Similar end result.

The key to that solution though is having the img.bz image (that I don’t have). I’m comfortable with BalenaEtcher and I’ve already got all the necessary cables.

At the risk of going trigger happy once more, any chance of getting that image file so I can take a stab at it at least?

OG ISY and UDI SuperFan

Edited by kaplansa
5 hours ago, kaplansa said:

Lol. You are correct. I meant IoP… But technically, isn’t IoP an IoT? Hah.

Michel is obviously amazing and he’s called me “trigger happy” more than once from attempting my own hot fixes while waiting for his reply. Maybe that should be my new nickname.

I do get the sense however that I screwed up the underlying operating system somehow and it’s nothing a good re-image wouldn’t solve but I should probably take your advice and wait…

Yours in the IoT!

— Trigger Happy

OG ISY and UDI SuperFan

"Trigger" was Roy Roger's horse so.....

:)

21 hours ago, kaplansa said:

Interestingly, my situation is nearly identical to that post. I also purchased my Polisy during the OG pre-order and let it sit and probably messed it up similarly although not exactly. Similar end result.

The key to that solution though is having the img.bz image (that I don’t have). I’m comfortable with BalenaEtcher and I’ve already got all the necessary cables.

At the risk of going trigger happy once more, any chance of getting that image file so I can take a stab at it at least?

OG ISY and UDI SuperFan

I think you have to email support.  Apparently they must not have it linked anywhere.  I also use BalenaEtcher for other things and would have no problem if the process was just outlined somewhere and a link to the file.

Edited by MrBill

Thanks!  And wouldntcha know it but Michel helped me in the end so it might not matter.  Seems my problem may have been simply a matter of timing because I was working while UDI was going through sever upgrades on their end.  Keep ya posted but for now everything looks better.... timing is everything I suppose...

• Like 1