Slow Network Resources

Blackbird

I have network resources setup for notifications sent to Autoremote and Tasker.  I have the same notifications sent to pushover then to tasker.  When triggered, I get the Tasker notification through pushover within a second or two but the notification through network resources is a good 15 minute wait.

@BlackbirdNot sure I can help, but maybe you can help some. I'm confused by how you explain this. Can you confirm a few things?

Are both method of notifications using Network Resources? 

How are you sending a notification to Pushover? (then to tasker? I guess an Android process)

I'm an iOS user and all network resources that are pushing notifications (currently to UD Mobile) are instant. 

If you've got something sending to Autoremote (I assume another Android app) then perhaps there's something on their process slowing things down.

Have you used UD Mobile Notifications to test this? Are any Node Servers involved in your process?

Network Resources are only a single attempt process. If it errors no notification would be sent minutes later. So if you're getting the notification then it's being sent right away, but whatever is processing that alert is then taking time to deliver to you.

Perhaps you can describe the process differently. Or other Android users might be able to help out.

36 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@BlackbirdNot sure I can help, but maybe you can help some. I'm confused by how you explain this. Can you confirm a few things?

Are both method of notifications using Network Resources? 

How are you sending a notification to Pushover? (then to tasker? I guess an Android process)

I'm an iOS user and all network resources that are pushing notifications (currently to UD Mobile) are instant. 

If you've got something sending to Autoremote (I assume another Android app) then perhaps there's something on their process slowing things down.

Have you used UD Mobile Notifications to test this? Are any Node Servers involved in your process?

Network Resources are only a single attempt process. If it errors no notification would be sent minutes later. So if you're getting the notification then it's being sent right away, but whatever is processing that alert is then taking time to deliver to you.

Perhaps you can describe the process differently. Or other Android users might be able to help out.

1.  One of my programs is a notification that my ELK alarm is armed.  This sends one notification by email to pushover then to tasker to create a popup on my android phone.  The program also sends a notification through network resources to autoremote then tasker

2.  Havent tried UD mobile notifications but will try

Thanks

46 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

The program also sends a notification through network resources to autoremote then tasker

Just looked up Autoremote on the Google Play Store. 

Remotely control your phone, PC and web (with IFTTT integration)!

Seems like it's using IFTTT and that will probably be the cause. Of course not knowing exactly what route it's taking if it's something being pushed to IFTTT you're at the mercy of the time it takes to hop through all the different services before reaching the phone. I know in the early days of ISY for me I tried Ring + IFTTT + ISY to make a light "flash" when the doorbell was rung. It never worked timely and often would flash the light so much later that it was quickly removed from my system. 

Not knowing how Tasker works either I'm not sure why you can't just use pushover to generate a pop-up on your phone. I know on the iOS side many use Pushover to be able to get timely notifications and even time sensitive alerts and different sounds to get their attention. I'm not quite sure why/how the other apps play into the Android system that you are attempting to get quicker notifications. I would expect that Pushover would do everything you need. 

Ultimately, you could also consider a node server to push to UD Mobile as I think one of the notification node servers has a method to attempt multiple sends in case there is an error on initial send. That's helpful in some cases. 

Good luck getting it sorted out. I doubt it's network resources that is your bottle neck though. 

20 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Autoremote used to be instant but not anymore

If it's relaying through IFTTT there's probably a choke point through either the IFTTT servers or the Autoremote servers. 

Again, why not just have the network resources send to pushover?
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i_Series_INSTEON:Networking:Mobile_Notification#Pushover

I'm sure the setup hasn't changed all that much through the years. And if you're comfortable in NR setup then it should be "easy". Would seemingly remove a dependency on a 3rd party relay step.

11 hours ago, Geddy said:

Again, why not just have the network resources send to pushover?

9 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I didnt know you could.  I'll try thanks

There are numerous methods to get a message from ISY to Pushover.

As you've discovered one method is email.  I don't recommend it because there's a middleman or two.

Second as @Geddy mentions direct from Network Resources.  Probably the fastest, but with a catch-- Network resources is a simple interface that only tries to post the message once.  Either the message gets through to Pushover, or it fails and there's an error log entry instead.  No retries.  Personally my house sits at the end of a long rural lateral with internet provided by giant-philadelphia-cable company and sometime the packets just get lost.  It doesn't happen often but it occurs often enough that I knew messages were missing. (at one time I sent every message via 3 methods figuring at least one would arrive.)  If a user was using the internet they would just reload the page and never give it another thought, with a critical message that doesn't get sent, it's a whole nuther matter.

@Jimbo.Automates created the Notification node server which will also push messages to Pushover.  The notification node server has so many message send options it's difficult to document.  The key thing tho is that the Notification node server will retry!   Certain http errors or failure to return "200 Ok" when the message is sent will cause the Notification node server to keep trying.   Just be sure to have an ISY program the monitors the node servers heartbeat and sends notification via other methods if/when the node server dies.

This is the program I used to monitor the node server itself, the notification is via a Network Resource directly from ISY to Pushover with the node server in the middle:

hb.controller - [ID 0028][Parent 016D]

If
        'Node Servers / Notification Controller' is switched On
     Or 'Node Servers / Notification Controller' is switched Off

Then
        Wait  11 minutes
        Repeat Every  30 minutes
           Resource 'ISYnotification.NotificationNS.Missed Heartbeat'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

the "repeat" loop will end when the node server again sends it heartbeat.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MrBill said:

As you've discovered one method is email.  I don't recommend it because there's a middleman or two.

Second as @Geddy mentions direct from Network Resources.  Probably the fastest, but with a catch-- Network resources is a simple interface that only tries to post the message once.  Either the message gets through to Pushover, or it fails and there's an error log entry instead.  No retries.  Personally my house sits at the end of a long rural lateral with internet provided by giant-philadelphia-cable company and sometime the packets just get lost.  It doesn't happen often but it occurs often enough that I knew messages were missing. (at one time I sent every message via 3 methods figuring at least one would arrive.)  If a user was using the internet they would just reload the page and never give it another thought, with a critical message that doesn't get sent, it's a whole nuther matter.

@Jimbo.Automates created the Notification node server which will also push messages to Pushover.  The notification node server has so many message send options it's difficult to document.  The key thing tho is that the Notification node server will retry!   Certain http errors or failure to return "200 Ok" when the message is sent will cause the Notification node server to keep trying.   Just be sure to have an ISY program the monitors the node servers heartbeat and sends notification via other methods if/when the node server dies.

This is the program I used to monitor the node server itself, the notification is via a Network Resource directly from ISY to Pushover with the node server in the middle:

If

Then
        Wait  11 minutes
        Repeat Every  30 minutes

Else

So the one jimbo created is the one you use and is the most reliable?

Does this require polisy?  Havent updated to polisy yet.

Thanks

16 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Does this require polisy?

yes.  technically it requires polyglot 2 or 3.   If you don't have yet you can used Network Resources without too much issue, I only lost 1 out of every 500 messages, and that attributable to the crappy cable connection my house has.  If you have a better internet connection you don't need to worry.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, MrBill said:

If

Then
        Wait  11 minutes
        Repeat Every  30 minutes

Else

I saw in a previous post that you said that the notification node server might be a bit slower.  Is that true and what is the speed like compared to NR to pushover?

Also I did install notification node server but dont see it anywhere?  I have Push node server but thats it?  

Running pg2

15 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I saw in a previous post that you said that the notification node server might be a bit slower.  Is that true and what is the speed like compared to NR to pushover?

Also I did install notification node server but dont see it anywhere?  I have Push node server but thats it?  

Running pg2

The notification Node server is no slower.  Technically it probably is since there's another process involved, but it's not measurable in human reaction time, it only milliseconds.

Did you configure the notification Node server then restart it, then restart the admin console?   I suppose it is a little bit trickier to get going from ground zero.

Edited by MrBill
15 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Also I did install notification node server but dont see it anywhere? 

Did you "ADD" the node server after installing? In PG2 it was a two step process. You go through the "Install" from the node server store, but then you have to ADD it from the PG2 interface under "NodeServers".

image.png

Then you should select the slot to add it to and then you should configure then restart the node server.

30 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Did you "ADD" the node server after installing? In PG2 it was a two step process. You go through the "Install" from the node server store, but then you have to ADD it from the PG2 interface under "node servers".

image.png

Then you should select the slot to add it to and then you should configure then restart the node server.

Thats what i forgot to do.  thanks

• Like 1