I need a reminder how to login to Polisy

upstatemike
Go to solution Solved by tazman,

I don't currently have a need to go to PG3 and a lot to lose if my current configuration gets messed up.

My architecture consists of multiple controllers (Polisy, Homeseer, Hubitat, Home Assistant, Alexa Routines, Stargate Events, Yolink Rules, Elk Rules, etc.) plus multiple Technology Bridges/Services (Hue, Lutron, Alexa Voice Input, ISY994 Insteon, Weatherflow, Yolink LoRa, Elk M1, Nest Thermostats, etc.) and because I am very audio/TTS centric I have multiple announcement sources (Multiple Homeseer speaker clients, Elk voice output, Stargate voice output, Alexa announcements, Yolink voice hub, Hubitat via Sonos, Home Assistant via Sonos, etc.)

Because many controllers will access the same Technology Bridge at the same time I am reluctant to change a bridge because then I have to reconfigure the integration on all affected controllers. I will need a strong reason to move from the ISY994 to IoP because it would affect not just Polisy but also my Elk integration, Homeseer integration, Home Assistant integration, Alexa integration, etc. Effort vs benefit just isn't there yet.

13 hours ago, larryllix said:

While on this subject, what is with the login via ISY Portal that takes you back to Polisy to login again, every time?

I thought only one login was necessary last update. It seems the login process has gone haywire again.

There are plans to consolidate some of logins but currently PG3 needs both your portal credentials and your PG3 credentials.  The portal credentials are used to determine if the user is a developer and developers get some PG3 features to add and edit their node servers in the node server store.  It also needs your portal credentials to access the node server licensing info.

• Like 1
There are plans to consolidate some of logins but currently PG3 needs both your portal credentials and your PG3 credentials.  The portal credentials are used to determine if the user is a developer and developers get some PG3 features to add and edit their node servers in the node server store.  It also needs your portal credentials to access the node server licensing info.
It is intentional then and I didn't find a bug to report.

Thanks. Mentally fixed here. :)

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

On 10/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, bpwwer said:

Are you suggesting that my polisy (at least PG3) now becomes a paper weight if I don't have internet and a portal subscription?  I thought portal subscription was used only for node server store?

While one of the goals with PG3 was to minimize the need for Portal access, it has become increasing difficult with the requirements for both network security and to protect node server developer's work.

Node server purchases and licensing are managed by the Portal.  Node server licenses are tied to the Polisy hardware ID and to the Portal user's account. To get a node server from the store, you need a Portal account.  That restriction comes from the licensing scheme that exist in the Portal.

PG3 does include the ability to have node servers installed without access to the external store/license. This is currently used by node server developers to develop and test their node server before adding them to the store.  Thus it should be possible to package up a node server in such a way that it is added to the local store where it can be installed without a license and run without access to the store or the Portal but no node server developer has attempted to do this.  

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

Node server purchases and licensing are managed by the Portal.  Node server licenses are tied to the Polisy hardware ID and to the Portal user's account. To get a node server from the store, you need a Portal account.  That restriction comes from the licensing scheme that exist in the Portal.

And...I can understand this and find such a limitation reasonable.  My concern is with the initial login to PG3, just to get to the home page, dashboard, and settings.  If the portal login is driven only by the node server store, then allow me to log into the polyglot without the portal, requiring portal login only once I try to access the store.  

I understand that I cannot download new node servers or, likely, update old ones, but I have assumed that the node servers I have already download and/or purchased (with the portal account active) would continue to work without a portal account no longer active (should I choose to later end the subscription).  Is this assumption false?

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, oberkc said:

And...I can understand this and find such a limitation reasonable.  My concern is with the initial login to PG3, just to get to the home page, dashboard, and settings.  If the portal login is driven only by the node server store, then allow me to log into the polyglot without the portal, requiring portal login only once I try to access the store.  

I understand that I cannot download new node servers or, likely, update old ones, but I have assumed that the node servers I have already download and/or purchased (with the portal account active) would continue to work without a portal account no longer active (should I choose to later end the subscription).  Is this assumption false?

Currently, the Portal manages the licensing of node servers.  So PG3 needs to contact the Portal to verify you have a valid license to install and to run a node server.   To do that, it needs valid Portal credentials.   I don't know if that means you need an active subscription or not.  I'm not involved with any of the Portal administration or development so I don't really know what happens if you end the subscription.  I don't believe an expired subscription prevents you from accessing your Portal account which would imply that you don't need a subscription to buy, install, or run node servers.  You just need the account.