Custom Messages not being sent but Defaults Messages Work Fine...

ktierney662
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

Hello All, first off thanks for all the help offer the years I’ve found just reading all the posts here. I’ve been lurking for a long time learning, and fixing my own issues. But I’m finally stumped enough to reach out for help.

I have a system at my home, and another at a rental home.(both 994i with PLM’s) Rental home unit was recently reset to factory defaults, then installed as new. Everything works fine except the only messages I can get the rental unit to send is default messages, will not send a custom message (as the unit in my home will) I duplicated the settings I have in the working home unit, but still cannot get a custom message out.

I did get a “MAIL SERVER” [Write Failed] message this morning?

Home ISY is on version 5.0.16C

Rental ISY is on 5.3.0

Removed the old Z-Wave board out of rental ISY since I have no Z Wave there, and I believe I need a PLUS board now.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated Error Log attached

ISY Error Log.v5.3.0__Mon 2022.10.10 12.36.06 PM.txt

• Solution

Are you using the default mail server? or do you have server details filled out?   If you have server details filled out, does the From box have  name:emailuser@example.com specifically that is two fields in one.... name, a colon, and an email address.

are you filling out FROM in the custom content?  if so, leave that field blank

@ktierney662 Even though you've been lurking in the shadow let me welcome you to the forums! Great first post to get you going.

I'm not a professional at looking at error logs and the one you posted is kind of short, but the main thing is it's failing on the SMTP setup. If you've got a new one after you updated to 5.3.4 as @MrBill suggested then post that, but look at the wiki for what the error codes are telling you...

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Errors_And_Error_Messages#SMTP_Errors

In the original post you did attach the error log with system error -50001 -20 and -5.

-20 is SMTP_UNSUPPORTED_AUTH_METHOD

-5 is SMTP_CONNECT_FAILED

If you are using the default I could see that happening with the 5.3.0 version you were running, but an update fixed the default server. If you're using a different email system to send out then you might have some "from" or other SMTP setting incorrect. Perhaps try the default server first then if messages go through you can setup the other option if you choose to use something else.

Please also note that if you're using Gmail (or other free email services) that additional security might be needed. 

Be sure to read the information in the wiki about setting up other email accounts for sending notifications:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY994:Configure_Mail_Server_Settings

Thanks for the reply Gedd the issue is mail not getting out, the test message, and the programs I have set up will send out the "default" message, but when I try to send a custom message, nothing happens. I've set this ISY up the same way as the one in my home that sends messages fine. I've attached a new full error log, as well as a warning I received as well.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.54.43 PM.png

ISY Error Log.v5.3.4__Wed 2022.10.12 12.05.44 PM.txt

@ktierney662

If your test message will go out then sounds like the configuration for the notification is not correct. 

Do you have something in the "From" on the customization? As @MrBill suggested make sure you leave that blank. That way it will use what you've setup in the general email settings tab. If you've put anything in the "from" it will try to send using that address. That could be what's giving you bad SMTP write errors. 

image.png

@ktierney662

Configuration tab > Emails/Notifications sub tab.  Do you or do you not have the box "use defaul" checked in the SMTP settings?   If it is not checked, does the From field have a : in it?    Name:email@address.com

Also please as previously stated that you are leaving the FROM box empty on the Custom Content as discussed in @Geddy's post just above.  

Also if this hasn't helped so far and you are not using the default many server, please post the smtp settings you are using, except the user and password, however please specifiy if you've included a domain with the user.