Echo thermostat "device not responding"

webminster
Go to solution Solved by webminster,

Since yesterday my Echo has started responding "thermostat not responding" to all commands.  Light controls see to work, but not the thermostat.

Haven't changed configurations anywhere, and the Polisy control on it locally is working fine.

Device rediscovery didn't change anything.  How can I fix this?

-Alan

@webminster what is the brand/model of thermostat? 

Log in on https://alexa.amazon.com/ click on "Smart Home" then "Devices" and confirm you see the Thermostat in that list. 

If it's controlled by a different Skill in Echo (depending on the brand you have) you might need to disable/enable the skill. If it's an Insteon thermostat then I'd remove it from the site/app, check the setup in ISY Portal, then run device discovery again. 

It's an Insteon (Venstar) thermostat, same one I've used for years.  Works fine on the local network with my Polisy.  I see it in the Smart Home listing, and in the UDI Portal.  Have also tried a device rediscovery, it's there but "not responding".

I've made no changes before when it started last night out of the blue.

I have a ticket open as well.  I've just tried to delete device from Alexa devices, and from UDI Portal, re-add to Portal and rediscover Alexa...

Still "thermostat isn't responding".  I do note that the Portal web display does show the current correct readings for the thermostat.

-Alan

EDIT: Looked in the Android Alexa app at the thermostat.  It has no status or values.  Does have the very helpful message "There was a problem."

Edited by webminster
alexa app info
20 minutes ago, webminster said:

Does have the very helpful message "There was a problem."

Always the best. That sucks. Hope support will get back to you soon and it's an "easy" fix. 

20 minutes ago, webminster said:

I do note that the Portal web display does show the current correct readings for the thermostat.

What do you mean by this? How does the portal display readings of the thermostat?  Do you mean through Web Access or something? I don't run any Insteon thermostats so don't know how you're seeing a reading on the ISY Portal site (my.isy.io). 

Strange to just "stop working", but Amazon/Echo is known to update stuff that might break connected items. Glad you can operate locally. Chalk another one up for local control!