WOL does not show up in ISY

Illusion
Go to solution Solved by Illusion,

@Illusion Have you installed any other PG3 node servers? Do they show up in the ISY? Sounds like you might not have the PG3 pointing to the ISY process correctly.

Are you running ISY994 or ISY on Polisy? 

Make sure you've added the ISY to the PG3 dashboard - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#ISYs

If you do have other NS installed and appearing in ISY then perhaps PG3 needs to restart. Make sure you've also closed admin console and re-opened for new NS to be loaded to the admin console.

Okay, so I got it to show up. For some reason my PG3 stopped pointing at my ISY. And search for ISY failed. Manually putting in the ISY details worked.

But now I have other issues that I think I will reach out to the creator on... Right now I am just working with this one poly and will add in all the others when I can wrap my head around why such a simple one is giving me so much trouble. I am like 5 hours in on this one now. Thanks for moving and setting up a thread for me. I should have done that but was so overwhelmed....

Okay, I got my LG TV to respond to WOL from my ISY on Polisy. Worked great. Put in programs. Worked great. Moved and rebooted Polisy (and IoP) and now nothing. Read other thread talking about going through switches, which it is now, but took long Ethernet cable and got both on same switch. Still nothing.

Also, related? If I add a second custom configuration, the node server still only shows 1 node. And only that first one shows up in the ISY. And nothing I do seems to edit that node. In fact, I put in the wrong IP the first go around and ended up having to delete the WOL Node Server and re-install to get the 1 WOL node working... for a while ...

I am not network savy and am a bit lost here. But this is a deal breaker for me to move to the IoP. If I cannot get this to work, I will have to move back to the ISY994 where Wake On Lan still works...

16 hours ago, Illusion said:

Okay, I got my LG TV to respond to WOL from my ISY on Polisy. Worked great. Put in programs. Worked great. Moved and rebooted Polisy (and IoP) and now nothing. Read other thread talking about going through switches, which it is now, but took long Ethernet cable and got both on same switch. Still nothing.

IoP and PG3 need to be able to communicate between them.  To do this, they each are configured with information about the other.  This includes the network address.

Based on the description of what happened, I'm guessing that you have the Polisy configured to get a dynamic IP address without a static reservation.  What this means is that when you moved the Polisy, and restarted it, it was assigned a different IP address from what it had before.  If this happens, everything that was configured using the previous IP address will no longer work.  I.E. IoP and PG3 can't communicate with each other because they are using the wrong network address.

We're working to make this better and more seamless, but changing the designs is a long term project so it will take a few more releases before we're there.

• Thanks 1

WoL is pretty simple to understand. at it's most fundamental It's either a unicast or broadcast packet. More often than not it's going to be a broadcast on a single sub net going out to all devices whether there is a switch or not. switches simply re-transmit all broadcast traffic on a single sub net to all active ports.

Your issues seems to revolve around changing the location of the IoP. Changing it's location physically wouldn't change WoL at all. Something else changed. One possibility is that when you changed the location an IP addr changed. If you are using DHCP this is something to check on both ends of the connection. IoP and the TV.

Switches often keep IP addr to port mappings in memory so that a broadcast packet only has to be forwarded via unicast to a specified port instead of blasting the entire sub net with unnecessary traffic. If the switch is still sending to an old IP for your WoL traffic it might not be getting to it's destination. Now this will only last as long as the switch keeps this info alive in memory.

All of this is to say, I don't think it's the IoP that's the problem.

@kzboray Still battling but your post makes me ask a question. If WOL is broadcast, why do we need to enter a specific IP address? My TV is on a DHCP reservation at 192.168.1.4. The Polisy was at a reservation of 192.168.1.12 before I powered it down to move it and it came back up at that as expected. But in the WOL node server configuration, would not any address on the subnet result in the same? So if I put the info into the field as 11:22:33:44:55:66/192.168.1.4  or 11:22:33:44:55:66/192.168.1.255 the WOL command would go out the same?

Yes, you should be able to use 192.168.1.255 as the IP address.  

It is supposed to work with the default IP of 255.255.255.255, but something in the FreeBSD network stack doesn't like that and it fails to send out the broadcast.

• Thanks 1
  • Solution

Solved. 2 things. Somehow when I moved the Polisy and rebooted it lost its reference to the ISY. I had to put the info back in there as it would not discover ISYs. And Somewhere in there I must have accidentally hit the HTTPS button or it switched to HTTPS on its own.

After switching back to HTTP and deleting all polys, and rebooting, and starting over and installing new I could see it, but the WOL node would only wake up my LG TV if I use 192.168.1.255 as the IP address in configuration field. Using the IP address of the TV would not turn the TV on.