Elk Node server compatible w/ expected Elk E27 Alarm engine?

photogeek54
Go to solution Solved by apostolakisl,

I'm considering upgrading my 27 year old Moose alarm system to an Elk system since there seems to be ISY/Polisy/Eisy support primarily for Elk alarm systems. Elk announced a new E27 Alarm engine last year. Would the Elk Node server likely support this system when it comes out? Any other suggestions folks suggest I consider for  my upgrade?

I also see that the ISY has some native Elk M1 support via a $99 Elk module. This is what made me assume Elk was the only brand I should consider. Is this a requirement for your node server or is the node server a replacement for the elk module? Sorry for all the questions, Ive had my ISY for many years but this is a new area for me.

@photogeek54 The Elk M1 is supported by the Node server (NS) developed by @Jimbo.Automates. The NS runs on a PolyGlot server, current models supported are the PoliSy and soon to be released Eisy. This NS offers a lot of functionality not supported by the original ELK module designed to run on the ISY994i.

I would not recommend buying the ELK module and would instead spend your money on a PoliSy or Esiy when they become available hopefully later this month. Not only will you benefit from a much more robust appliance, but it also allows you to add on multiple technologies at minimal cost to you.

@Jimbo.Automates has done a terrific job with the current ELK M1 NS in terms of features supported. If an API is released by ELK for the newer version 27, I imagine @Jimbo.Automates will do his best to offer a NS to support that as well.

Keep in mind ELK may choose to keep the API private for the version 27 equipment and that would mean it would be impossible to offer support via a NS. It's not something that exists so it's not a good idea to make future plans on something that might be.

I have personally installed many ELK M1s in combination with ISY994i's and PoliSy's. Its a very robust system combination.

Edited by kzboray
  • Like 1
  • Solution

@photogeek54 The Elk module for ISY I suspect is an EOL product.  If the new Elk isn't identical to the old regarding integration, the Elk module won't work and UD is not doing any module development.  They even threatened to stop native Insteon support (but they backed off on that).  As far as I know, only zwave and Insteon will continue to have native support on the UD consumer products.  Everything else will go to a node server.

I had the module when I had my 994i.  I have switched to ISY on Polisy which does not support any modules, so I had to switch to the node server.  The node server by @Jimbo.Automates is better in that it integrates more Elk features, but it is worse in that it doesn't present and organize as well as the module.  For example, you can't click on a tab and see all your zones, voltages, and status in a nice table all at once.   Or all your outputs in a single table along with status.  Things are just in folder trees, somewhat mixed together and you can only view the status of one at a time by clicking on it.  I don't believe that there is anything @Jimbo.Automates can do within the confines of a node server to change that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

There are also other alarm systems supported by node server written by @Goose66 and possibly others.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yes, I forgot to mention I also have a DSC alarm connected by VPN and managed by the same ISY.  I use the node server created by ioguy.  This node server does not run on the official node server created by UD.  I run it on a PC that is on 24/7 but it also runs on rpi.  There is a DSC node server on the official UD node server, I don't use it because the ioguy one came first and it works great and I see no reason to switch.  DSC is not as fancy and the node server thus does less, but, DSC is way cheaper.