does the MyQ Node Server require a Chamberlain MyQ subscription to work?

someguy
Go to solution Solved by asbril,

1 hour ago, someguy said:

does the PG3 Node Server require the Chamberlain MyQ subscription to work?

The short answer is “not at this time.” The MyQ node sever utilizes a hack of the API the MyQ app utilizes. This is not public, undocumented, and changes every year or so, requiring updates to node server code, thus the annual “subscription” for the node server instead of one time $10.95 like my other node servers.

The subscription for integration of MyQ with other home automation platforms is new. If this ends up being a public, documented API that we can use for integration with the node server, that would be a better solution, IMO, and we may want to convert the node server over to it. I would probably just change the pricing of the node server to perpetual, in that case.

I also note that the subscription for third-party integrations appears to be $12 a year ($1 a month), not $10 a month. Looks like the more expensive subscription is for their cameras - mainly long term storage of video.

• Like 4

I despise recurring extortion fees and cloud control.  Although I have a Chamberlain GD, it pre-dates MyQ.  I have an Elk relay output soldered to the wall unit pushbutton and the magnetic GD sensor wired to an Elk zone input. I use eKeypad Pro and Mobilinc HD for remote access.   IMHO, the Insteon GD kit is not reliable or secure enough for premier access control.  

Edited by elvisimprsntr
The short answer is “not at this time.” The MyQ node sever utilizes a hack of the API the MyQ app utilizes. This is not public, undocumented, and changes every year or so, requiring updates to node server code, thus the annual “subscription” for the node server instead of one time $10.95 like my other node servers.
The subscription for integration of MyQ with other home automation platforms is new. If this ends up being a public, documented API that we can use for integration with the node server, that would be a better solution, IMO, and we may want to convert the node server over to it. I would probably just change the pricing of the node server to perpetual, in that case.
I also note that the subscription for third-party integrations appears to be $12 a year ($1 a month), not $10 a month. Looks like the more expensive subscription is for their cameras - mainly long term storage of video.

Thanks for Node Server! Keep us posted.
54 minutes ago, someguy said:

@elvisimprsntr I agree that recurring subscription fees are to be avoided as much as possible.  I'm trying to figure out a workaround for my garage door that doesn't require anything more than a one-time fee for the Node Server.  

anyone have any suggestions?

I am all FOR subscription fees as I want the developer to be motivated to support the Node Server and update it as necessary.

• Like 5