ISY not seeing KeyPadLinc button presses

I recently finished an install of a new system with 8 dual-band LampLincs, 2 SwitchLincs, 3 OutletLincs, and 1 8 button KeyPadLinc controlled by an Elk M1/ISY99i (2.7.12). I had no issues linking the devices to the ISY, and controlling the devices from the ISY works fine. The issue is that the ISY is not being updated with the correct status from the devices. I wrote several programs that were intended to run based on button presses from the KeyPadLinc, but they consistently do not trigger and the status within the ISY doesn't change when a button is turned on. The KeyPadLinc controls my under cabinet lighting and has a receptacle right next to it on the same circuit. I tried plugging the PLM into that outlet and I get the same results. Scenes seem to work fine, and I am able to control devices from the KeyPadLinc. The main issue is that I can’t trigger programs with button presses. Nothing registers within the event viewer when any of the buttons are pressed. At first I was thinking it was a communications issue, but I think I have ruled that out. Any ideas?

Hi blakey,

It sound a lot like there are no link records in your PLM. Would you be kind enough to go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Link Table and see how many links you have in there? Based on your installation, you must have at the least 20 links (not including scenes if any). If you do not, then that's the issue (and it's a defective PLM).

With kind regards,

Michel

I recently finished an install of a new system with 8 dual-band LampLincs, 2 SwitchLincs, 3 OutletLincs, and 1 8 button KeyPadLinc controlled by an Elk M1/ISY99i (2.7.12). I had no issues linking the devices to the ISY, and controlling the devices from the ISY works fine. The issue is that the ISY is not being updated with the correct status from the devices. I wrote several programs that were intended to run based on button presses from the KeyPadLinc, but they consistently do not trigger and the status within the ISY doesn't change when a button is turned on. The KeyPadLinc controls my under cabinet lighting and has a receptacle right next to it on the same circuit. I tried plugging the PLM into that outlet and I get the same results. Scenes seem to work fine, and I am able to control devices from the KeyPadLinc. The main issue is that I can’t trigger programs with button presses. Nothing registers within the event viewer when any of the buttons are pressed. At first I was thinking it was a communications issue, but I think I have ruled that out. Any ideas?

There are 70 records in the PLM link table. If I turn on/off one of the SwitchLincs or LampLincs manually the staus updates in ISY. Looks like it is just the KeyPadLinc.

Hello blakey,

It seems as if the KPL does not have the correct link database and is not broadcasting the changes. Would you please right-click on the KPL and select Restore? What version is the KPL?

Rand

• 2 months later...

The KPL has been working fine up until a few days ago. Now I have the same issue again with the ISY not "seeing" button presses from the KPL. Other devices linked to the KPL work fine. I have tried to restore the KPL several times and I am still having the same issue. Any suggestions?

Hi blakey,

This is indeed quite strange. Can you tell me if this happens spontaneously (without you making any configuration changes to ISY or the KPL) or does it happen in the face of some other configuration change?

I would also like to know:

1. Your PLM version (Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Status/Info)

2. The number of links in your PLM (Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table followed by clicking on the Count button)

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

I think this started happening when I removed several remotelinc buttons from several scenes (also controlled by the KPL). I also did a factory reset of the KPL and a restore from the ISY several times after I started having this issue.

PLM version - 12.9F.CC v85

Number of links in PLM - 61

One odd thing that I noticed is that when I clicked on the PLM Info/Status the green Writing icon showed up next to the remotelinc buttons.

Hi blakey,

Thanks. First of all, I think the number of links in your PLM seems a little low. This could indicate a defective PLM. But, before we reach that conclusion:

1. Would you be kind enough to remove ALL your RemoteLincs from ISY (so that we do not have to worry about RF issues)

2. Go to File | Restore Modem (PLM)

Once done, check the count again and test the status of KPLs.

With kind regards,

Michel

I removed the RemoteLincs, and restored the PLM. Still no luck. I then did a hard reset on the KPL, restored all devices, restored the PLM, and rebooted the ISY. Still same results the ISY doesn't reconigize any of the button pressess from the KPL.

After the restore I have 55 links in the PLM table.

Hi blakey,

This is indeed quite odd. Can you please:

1. Go to Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer ; change level to 3

2. Click the clear button

3. Go to any of your KPLs and turn them on/off

Please paste the contents of the Event Viewer here.

With kind regards,

Michel

I followed your steps and pressed each button on the KPL and nothing was logged. I then turned on and off another switch and got the output below. The devices controlled by the KPL functioned fine during the test.

Mon 05/17/2010 11:54:57 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 12.0F.1A 00.00.01 CB 11 00 LTONRR (00)

Mon 05/17/2010 11:54:57 AM : [standard-Group][12.0F.1A-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Mon 05/17/2010 11:54:57 AM : [ 12 F 1A 1] DON 0

Mon 05/17/2010 11:54:57 AM : [ 12 F 1A 1] ST 255

Mon 05/17/2010 11:54:57 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 12.0F.1A 12.9F.CC 41 11 01 LTONRR (01)

Mon 05/17/2010 11:54:57 AM : [standard-Cleanup][12.0F.1A-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Mon 05/17/2010 11:55:00 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 12.0F.1A 00.00.01 CB 13 00 LTOFFRR(00)

Mon 05/17/2010 11:55:00 AM : [standard-Group][12.0F.1A-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Mon 05/17/2010 11:55:00 AM : [ 12 F 1A 1] DOF 0

Mon 05/17/2010 11:55:00 AM : [ 12 F 1A 1] ST 0

Mon 05/17/2010 11:55:00 AM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 12.0F.1A 12.9F.CC 41 13 01 LTOFFRR(01)

Mon 05/17/2010 11:55:00 AM : [standard-Cleanup][12.0F.1A-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Hello blakey,

Thank you. It seems that either there are no links for your KPL in the PLM OR that your PLM has too many link records and your KPL links are all the way at the bottom.

Would you be kind enough to:

1. Go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table ... when done, click on the Count button. If the number is > 800 and if your PLM model is 2412S, then that's where the issue is

2. If not, then please right mouse click on any of the KPL buttons and then choose Restore Device ...

Please let me know the outcome.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Thank you very much for your help on this. I only have 62 links in my PLM links table (small setup). I have tried to restore the KPL many times along with factory resets, restoring the PLM, and restoring all devices. After this last restore I still see nothing in the event viewer (level 3) when I press the buttons on the KPL. When I turn off or on other switches I see events logged. Could the KPL or PLM be bad?

Hi blakey,

My pleasure. Can you please go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show Device Links Table and then choose your KPL. Once done please click on the compare button and let me know if there are any mismatches. It's quite possible that your KPL is defective.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Thank you very much for your help on this. I only have 62 links in my PLM links table (small setup). I have tried to restore the KPL many times along with factory resets, restoring the PLM, and restoring all devices. After this last restore I still see nothing in the event viewer (level 3) when I press the buttons on the KPL. When I turn off or on other switches I see events logged. Could the KPL or PLM be bad?

Hi blakey,

Thank you. Sorry for all these tasks! Now, if you don't mind, please:

1. Go to Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Status/Info ... write down the address for your PLM

2. Go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show ISY Links Table ... please look at the 13 records and see if you can find the PLM address in any one of the links. If so, please let me know how many records have this link

3. Go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table ... look for the address of your KPL in the records. If you find any, please let me know how many links

Conclusion based on these number:

If you have more than 1 link in the KPL pointing to your PLM AND you more than 5 links in the PLM pointing to your KPL, then there's a very high likelihood that you have a defective KPL.

If you have less than 5 links in the PLM for your KPL, then we have to figure out WHY!

With kind regards,

Michel

There are 13 identical links with one link that is marked as ignore.

1. PLM address -> 12.9F.CC

2. The ISY Links Table for the KPL contains 4 records that have the PLM address

3. KPL address -> 12.C7.9E; The PLM Links Table contains 3 records that have the KPL address.

So less than 5 links in the PLM - so now what :)

Hi blakey,

Excellent! This is what I would suggest:

1. Take a backup of your system

2. Completely remove the KPL from ISY

3. Factory reset your KPL

4. Add it back into ISY

5. Repeat the link count in the previous post

Please keep me posted.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived