Z-Wave causing Buffering and WiFi issues?

Mustang65

Interesting Z-Wave byproduct, a possible problem....? Buffering and WiFi audio issues? Check out this video and you be the judge.

Linus Tech Tips has 15M subscribers and does make some good points. Check out his video about this.

Z-Wave YouTube video

CHAPTERS
-----------------------
0:00 Intro
1:40 My theory
3:02 It's not that easy
5:35 Secret Weapon
7:47 It gets worse
8:57 Ghost Hunting
12:25 PROBLEM FOUND

Edited by Mustang65
2 hours ago, Mustang65 said:

Interesting Z-Wave byproduct, a possible problem....? Buffering and WiFi audio issues? Check out this video and you be the judge.

Linus Tech Tips has 15M subscribers and does make some good points. Check out his video about this.

Z-Wave YouTube video

CHAPTERS
-----------------------
0:00 Intro
1:40 My theory
3:02 It's not that easy
5:35 Secret Weapon
7:47 It gets worse
8:57 Ghost Hunting
12:25 PROBLEM FOUND

I have some 80 ZWave devices in my home and I also stream music 24/7 to 4 different Chromecast and Google Home devices, and (thankfully)  I never experience the issue that is described in this video.

• Like 1

Interesting video. He didn't detail his issues or fix to really study it.

One thing I noticed was that he had a bank of 4 motion switches together. I wonder if those are all sending commands at the same time adding to the issues he's experiencing. 

It would be cool if he could pinpoint whether he has a unique setup, if it's an issue with ge or if other mfg. would cause the same issues

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

One thing I noticed was that he had a bank of 4 motion switches together. I wonder if those are all sending commands at the same time adding to the issues he's experiencing. 

It would be cool if he could pinpoint whether he has a unique setup, if it's an issue with ge or if other mfg. would cause the same issues

Could very well be the 4 motion sensors in a row causing the issue. He should probably tape them all and remove the tape one switch at a time (while monitoring the signal) to see if that is the problem and give him an idea as to what the safe number of switches with motion sensors in a row he can have active.

Edited by Mustang65
11 hours ago, asbril said:

I have some 80 ZWave devices in my home and I also stream music 24/7 to 4 different Chromecast and Google Home devices, and (thankfully)  I never experience the issue that is described in this video.

The issue described doesn't impact WiFi audio streaming, it's specific to the audio streaming protocol used by his wireless remote speakers.

I'm also pretty suspicious of the jump to conclusions since Z-Wave is about 7.5 the wavelength of 5 GHz Wi-Fi, they're not even 3rd or 4th harmonics of each other.  That is, unless there's something 5 GHz going on that's not well documented.

• Like 3

This is Linus remember, he is like a big kid with access to expensive toys, while lacking basic technical and troubleshooting skills. Be skeptical of what his conclusions are. He is a good personality however and he  makes these videos purposely this way to stir made up controversy and make them more entertaining to generate views and sell his products. 

Also note he did an update stating the problem came back after disabling the switches therefore this entire video is most likely wrong. Just like another is his videos regarding zwave where he went down an unnecessary rabbit hole 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, brians said:

This is Linus remember, he is like a big kid with access to expensive toys, while lacking basic technical and troubleshooting skills. Be skeptical of what his conclusions are.

That being said, his comments about issues with his Z-wave network otherwise with routing and the like are probably spot on. A quick survey of what he has going on tells me his network mirrors my experience, where you have to be very careful about what you add and what sort of routing is going on above 30-50 devices or so, especially with very chatty devices. 

An Insteon or Lutron lighting system would be a better choice for him, and keep z-wave only where necessary. 

Well, for the "While I am waiting to see if INSTEON comes up with a new PLM in the 1st Quarter of 2023" I am replacing some of my critical modules and wall switches with Zigbee units. Working fine so far, Oh I do have (1) Z-Wave module also, it is on my 2 cup coffee pot that I keep forgetting to turn off after I pour my coffee.  Working fine... turns the unit off after 6 minutes of "ON" time. I am now trying to link Home Assistant to Polisy. Getting there. The brain is giving me a run for my money, slow process.