Jump to content

iOS is asking for the EISY wifi password


Hoosier Daddy

Recommended Posts

I was just about to be blown away by the exceptionally easy Eisy setup (see what I did there?), but it's hanging up on the wifi configuration. I'm using an Eero mesh wifi and usually don't have any problem adding new devices to the network. I see that the Eisy briefly shows as my connected network for the iPhone, but then iOS displays an error 'cannot connect to internet' and then disconnects.

I'd like to just log in to eisy's wifi manually. What is the password?  

Link to comment

Can you both verify you have the latest version of the iOS app 1.0.6?  Then verify the network is NOT (very important) in your phones saved networks, if it is forget the network.  Finally try wifi setup again, be sure to double press the front power button when prompted to put eisy in WiFi configuration mode.

 

Troubleshooting:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#eisy_WiFi_Configuration

  • Like 1
Link to comment

After reading past the included setup instructions (follow the UD Mobile app instructions) I found that manually entering Eisy wifi password will not allow the setup to succeed. I'll close up this post and keep researching.

BTW, yes, I am on 1.0.6.

Thanks for the help Javi.

Edited by Hoosier Daddy
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Hoosier Daddy said:

After reading past the included setup instructions (follow the UD Mobile app instructions) I found that manually entering Eisy wifi password will not allow the setup to succeed. I'll close up this post and keep researching.

BTW, yes, I am on 1.0.6.

Thanks for the help Javi.

Did setup from the app work?   

We recently added a few icons to setup as when reviewing with a new users we found there was confusion when the app requested removal of Ethernet cable and double pressing the power button.  Missing either step causes setup failure.  If the app still does not setup WiFi, and you have some free time, please send me a Private Message and we can try a video call to find the point of failure.   After running WiFi setup hundreds of times it is very possible I'm doing something out of habit and not instructing the user to do the same.

With all that said, there is always the manual option outside of the app. For anybody else reading this I do NOT recommend this as some mobile devices, iOS in particular, will not route browser requests to a WiFi network without internet access.  Sometimes, but not always, mobile devices will allow the user to continue to use the WiFi network without internet access. The app has a method to get around this restriction by directing traffic only to the Phone's WiFi connection.  With the previous statements in mind the QR code on the bottom of eisy is a WiFi configuration QR code and most camera apps on mobile devices will recognize this code and show a popup to users to click and connect to the network.  Eisy must be in WiFi configuration mode for this to work. Eisy is placed in WiFi Configuration by removing the Ethernet cable the double pressing the power button. This method works on Android devices but only sometimes on iOS. After the mobile-device/PC is connected to eisy's WiFi configuration access point then a browser request can set you home WiFi credentials. In the browser go to the following address: http://172.26.18.3:60018/setwifi/<SSID>/<Passphrase> where SSID is your home WiFi SSID and Passphrase is your home WiFi password. This method also requires the user to manually forget the network in the mobile device settings.  The app cannot automatically modify, connect, or forget to the WiFi configuration access point if the network was entered manually by the user.

Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Javi said:

Did setup from the app work?   

We recently added a few icons to setup as when reviewing with a new users we found there was confusion when the app requested removal of Ethernet cable and double pressing the power button.  Missing either step causes setup failure.  If the app still does not setup WiFi, and you have some free time, please send me a Private Message and we can try a video call to find the point of failure.   After running WiFi setup hundreds of times it is very possible I'm doing something out of habit and not instructing the user to do the same.

With all that said, there is always the manual option outside of the app. For anybody else reading this I do NOT recommend this as some mobile devices, iOS in particular, will not route browser requests to a WiFi network without internet access.  Sometimes, but not always, mobile devices will allow the user to continue to use the WiFi network without internet access. The app has a method to get around this restriction by directing traffic only to the Phone's WiFi connection.  With the previous statements in mind the QR code on the bottom of eisy is a WiFi configuration QR code and most camera apps on mobile devices will recognize this code and show a popup to users to click and connect to the network.  Eisy must be in WiFi configuration mode for this to work. Eisy is placed in WiFi Configuration by removing the Ethernet cable the double pressing the power button. This method works on Android devices but only sometimes on iOS. After the mobile-device/PC is connected to eisy's WiFi configuration access point then a browser request can set you home WiFi credentials. In the browser go to the following address: http://172.26.18.3:60018/setwifi/<SSID>/<Passphrase> where SSID is your home WiFi SSID and Passphrase is your home WiFi password. This method also requires the user to manually forget the network in the mobile device settings.  The app cannot automatically modify, connect, or forget to the WiFi configuration access point if the network was entered manually by the user.

 @JaviWithout a passphrase being configured how is the WAP to see the eisy?  I'm also using MAC address filtering.  I've been thinking about scanning WiFi and looking for an AP on the eisy but haven't tried/had time for that yet.  I'm thinking about/looking for a typical WiFi configuration dialogue where the MAC would be available and I could set the passphrase, Security type, etc., maybe even allowed MACs.  When I scan for APs, if I see the eisy come up, what do I need to know to connect to it with my laptop?  Or is it 100% open?  I'm really not 100% sure I want to enable WiFi on the eisy but I was thinking I could maybe use it for a separate network for home control only WiFi stuff.  But I'd have to statically address that too and DHCP reservation is a PITA.  This isn't urgent, I haven't gotten to needing WiFi, but this thread did get me thinking...       Thanks,  Grant 

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, GJ Software Products said:

 @JaviWithout a passphrase being configured how is the WAP to see the eisy?  I'm also using MAC address filtering.  I've been thinking about scanning WiFi and looking for an AP on the eisy but haven't tried/had time for that yet.  I'm thinking about/looking for a typical WiFi configuration dialogue where the MAC would be available and I could set the passphrase, Security type, etc., maybe even allowed MACs.  When I scan for APs, if I see the eisy come up, what do I need to know to connect to it with my laptop?  Or is it 100% open?  I'm really not 100% sure I want to enable WiFi on the eisy but I was thinking I could maybe use it for a separate network for home control only WiFi stuff.  But I'd have to statically address that too and DHCP reservation is a PITA.  This isn't urgent, I haven't gotten to needing WiFi, but this thread did get me thinking...       Thanks,  Grant 

When  eisy is in AP (Configuration) Mode it only supports configuration not as an access point to end IoT devices.  The passphrase is the text at the bottom of the QR code, but as mentioned above it is NOT recommended anybody connect to this manually. Manually connecting to eisy's access point is only a last resort if the app can configure the connection settings for the users home network.

Wifi configuration can be started from Settings-Tab > WiFi Configuration.  This is a subset of onboarding that only configures eisy with your home WiFi credentials.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks! Have there been any updates beyond what is in this thread for getting Wifi configured on an EISY using an iPhone? I was surprised to see there is only a single RJ-45 port on the EISY when it showed up today. I am an Insteon user and need a port for the PLM. I really hate the idea of using Wifi with this, but it looks like there is no other option. I have been trying for several hours to get this to work to no avail. Using the app, when I try to add a new system, it presents icons for ISY, Polisy, and EISY. In picking EISY, and choose Wi-Fi and then Continue, it seems to get stuck in a loop and goes back to having to tell it to add a new system over and over. If I uninstall the app, and reinstall it, it does get further in the process, but ends up erroring out and saying "UD Mobile could not connect to eisy's WiFi access point." It suggests connecting manually which also seems to get me no where. I have tried this on an iPad and an iPhone 13 Max running the current OS. The app version is the current one. I do not have an android phone to try. The only way I have been able to talk to it thus far is via ethernet cable. I have done factory resets on the unit as well. I tried using WebOS on my LG TV and its browser to enter the command after connecting to the access point mode and it did not work. What else can I do here? Is there any way to connect a keyboard and HDMI monitor and enter some commands at a LINUX command prompt? 

Thanks,

Lee Silverman 

Link to comment

Hi @leecast,

Please try updating firmware.  Press the front button once wait 30 minutes then press 5 times to reboot.   We hope to have this automated in app soon.

WiFi setup will not work on WiFi only ipad (iOS bug).  WiFi setup will not work if the network was manually added to any Apple device (icloud remembers), so it must be forgotten manually it it was added manually.

Finally the RJ-45 port is Ethernet only, not compatible with (serial) insteon modem. Please see our website for a USB conversation kit.

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, leecast said:

Hi folks! Have there been any updates beyond what is in this thread for getting Wifi configured on an EISY using an iPhone? I was surprised to see there is only a single RJ-45 port on the EISY when it showed up today. I am an Insteon user and need a port for the PLM. I really hate the idea of using Wifi with this, but it looks like there is no other option. I have been trying for several hours to get this to work to no avail. Using the app, when I try to add a new system, it presents icons for ISY, Polisy, and EISY. In picking EISY, and choose Wi-Fi and then Continue, it seems to get stuck in a loop and goes back to having to tell it to add a new system over and over. If I uninstall the app, and reinstall it, it does get further in the process, but ends up erroring out and saying "UD Mobile could not connect to eisy's WiFi access point." It suggests connecting manually which also seems to get me no where. I have tried this on an iPad and an iPhone 13 Max running the current OS. The app version is the current one. I do not have an android phone to try. The only way I have been able to talk to it thus far is via ethernet cable. I have done factory resets on the unit as well. I tried using WebOS on my LG TV and its browser to enter the command after connecting to the access point mode and it did not work. What else can I do here? Is there any way to connect a keyboard and HDMI monitor and enter some commands at a LINUX command prompt? 

Thanks,

Lee Silverman 

First, the Ethernet connector on the EISY is for Ethernet.  If your PLM has an RJ-45 on it, you will have to acquire a USB adapter cable… there are multiple threads discussing this issue. 

There have been improvements in the UD Mobile WiFi Configuration process.  UD Mobile is now on version 1.0.14.  There were some improvements in version EISY 5.5.4 that also help Wi-Fi Configuration for some users… especially if you hide your SSID in your router.  After these latest updates I had no issues using UD Mobile to configure EISY WiFi with an iPhone.

Your last question.  YES you can hook up an HDMI monitor to the EISY.  Add a USB keyboard and mouse and you can directly interface with the EISY… this is covered in one of the EISY Wikis. When it boots. You can login and start a GUI interface with command start.win.

There is a lot of info in forums… keep on reading. 

Edited by ISY4Me
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Javi said:

Hi @leecast,

Please try updating firmware.  Press the front button once wait 30 minutes then press 5 times to reboot.   We hope to have this automated in app soon.

WiFi setup will not work on WiFi only ipad (iOS bug).  WiFi setup will not work if the network was manually added to any Apple device (icloud remembers), so it must be forgotten manually it it was added manually.

Finally the RJ-45 port is Ethernet only, not compatible with (serial) insteon modem. Please see our website for a USB conversation kit.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply! After trying this no less than 25 times, it finally worked! I cannot say that I did anything different the last time, but things finally happened and it connected via WiFi. Now, I am seeing that this whole routine was not needed as the RJ-45 port was not for my modem anyway. Ha! Make an assumption as they say... lol. 

I would have been happier to have something ask me on the order form if I planned to use an Insteon PLM and tell me to add it to the order so that I would not have to wait and pay shipping twice, but at least this is progress and I am learning. I will check out the USB conversion kit you mentioned. I am glad that I will not have to rely on Wifi for this. MUCH BETTER to be on Ethernet! :)

Thanks again,

Dr. S

Link to comment
1 minute ago, ISY4Me said:

First, the Ethernet connector on the EISY is for Ethernet.  If your PLM has an RJ-45 on it, you will have to acquire a USB adapter cable… there are multiple threads discussing this issue. 

There have been improvements in the UD Mobile WiFi Configuration process.  UD Mobile is now on version 1.0.14.  There were some improvements in version EISY 5.5.4 that also help Wi-Fi Configuration for some users… especially if you hide your SSID in your router.  After these latest updates I had no issues using UD Mobile to configure EISY WiFi. 

Your last question.  YES you can hook up an HDMI monitor to the EISY.  Add a USB keyboard and mouse and you can directly interface with the EISY… this is covered in one of the EISY Wikis. When it boots. You can login and start a GUI interface. 

There is a lot of info in forums… keep on reading. 

Thanks very much for the speedy reply and education!

Dr. S

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      36.6k
    • Total Posts
      368.1k
×
×
  • Create New...