SynchroLinc Dissapointment.

Illusion
Go to solution Solved by Techman,

On 2/11/2023 at 5:01 PM, Techman said:

Yes

Screenshot 2023-02-11 135931.jpg

Thanks @Techman ! 

One last question please - do you think that it (ZW SS7) would react/notice fast enough to catch a typical sump pump activation? My sump only runs for about 5 seconds or so each time and its fairly critical that I catch each one - my current synchrolink is flawless and being Insteon it's also virtually instantaneous - I'm very concerned that the nature of ZWave w ISY994 (soon-ish to be Polisy) will mean that it won't notice every time it runs. 

Please let me know your thoughts on the reaction time of the ZW SS7 - I don't have any spare synchrolinks and am quite aware of their longevity reputation. 

THANKS again! Shawn

45 minutes ago, Techman said:

@ShawnW

Currently I'm not using the smart switch to monitor current, but I'll run some tests in the next few days and let you know. Generally speaking, I think Zwave has a bit of a lag time compared to Insteon.

That would be awesome - thank you for offering @Techman . That was my concern also. 

3 hours ago, ShawnW said:

Thanks @Techman ! 

One last question please - do you think that it (ZW SS7) would react/notice fast enough to catch a typical sump pump activation? My sump only runs for about 5 seconds or so each time and its fairly critical that I catch each one - my current synchrolink is flawless and being Insteon it's also virtually instantaneous - I'm very concerned that the nature of ZWave w ISY994 (soon-ish to be Polisy) will mean that it won't notice every time it runs. 

Please let me know your thoughts on the reaction time of the ZW SS7 - I don't have any spare synchrolinks and am quite aware of their longevity reputation. 

THANKS again! Shawn

To monitor my septic lift pump I used to use an old Insteon switch that had a sense line. I then plugged in a multi-plug adapter into the float switch and had this Insteon switch along with the pump itself. It would detect when the switch connected. Since that was old Insteon device single band and unreliable over time I looked for some other way. My pump runs for about 5-8 seconds also.

I had tried a Zen 15 which advertises for sump pumps but it is not quick enough to detect current.

I ended up using a Zen17 and one of these... 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PT5SC9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have modified an extension cord that goes between the float switch and the pump plugin so the hot wire goes through this device. Once calibrated, it is near instantaneous with Zen17 reporting back to IoX when pump comes on it detects the current and the NO circuit becomes closed which are connected to Zen17 dry contact input sensor.

I tried a Zen51 which has current sense and in my test it was very fast and responsive when detecting load, but for some reason the sensor did not work correctly when plugged into the float switch along with the pump so I staying with Zen17... need to clean it up a bit cuz I have excess of wire etc. I got it working in test and never bothered cleaning up (that green coiled extension cord can be shortened a bit LOL).

F3F89394-31CE-451A-9896-AE5D8C57AF1E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1e29c888e4b8f834b753171e65a55590.jpeg

Benefit of Zen17 is since it has a second input, can hook up a float level sensor also on the 2nd input to detect if water level is too high... I have tested these but I haven't fully installed yet because I don't feel like taking apart the tank lid again... I have water leak sensor on surface and my water cop shuts off water main when detect leak so is good enough for now.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B097ZCP3TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@ShawnW

Just ran some tests with the SmartSwitch 7.  All the parameters are configurable. The reporting default for a change in current is 10 minutes. I set the parameter to 3 seconds, it took about 8 seconds for the change in current to display. I assume it's due to the Z-wave lag time. 

I've attached the manual for switch configuration options. The parameter for current is 1A hex (26 decimal)

If your pump only runs for about 5 seconds the switch may not be a viable option for you.

Smart Switch 7 US.pdf.pdf

9 hours ago, Techman said:

@ShawnW

Just ran some tests with the SmartSwitch 7.  All the parameters are configurable. The reporting default for a change in current is 10 minutes. I set the parameter to 3 seconds, it took about 8 seconds for the change in current to display. I assume it's due to the Z-wave lag time. 

I've attached the manual for switch configuration options. The parameter for current is 1A hex (26 decimal)

If your pump only runs for about 5 seconds the switch may not be a viable option for you.

Smart Switch 7 US.pdf.pdf 581.74 kB · 1 download

THANK YOU @brians and @Techman ! You guys are awesome! I can't wait to play!

Shawn!

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

@ShawnW

I just ran some more tests on the Smart Switch 7 Screenshot2023-03-18153109.thumb.jpg.9236c4bd29450fb7ffc192123ad69a8f.jpgSwitch 7. 

By changing Param 21 (Watt report Threshold) to 10, the switch reported the on/off load change within 2 to 3 seconds. So it will most likely work for your application.

Edited by Techman
  • 2 months later...

Added Z-Wave to my system. Got the Smart Switch 7. Tweaked Param 21 and now using 2 of these instead of synchrolincs. Thanks @Techman. Will be buying many more. I appreciate the assist.

Being new to Z Wave, why does the outlet add with a whole other set of nodes? I end up with 11 nodes from this one device and many of them seem like duplicates. ScreenShot2023-05-30at10_29_55AM.png.916a4fa96f96f91fa88859a5d5370788.png

TV Switch and 002.1 Binary Switch seem to be the same thing, and both turn the module on and off. and TV Sense and 002.1 Energy Meter 1 seem to be the same thing

@Illusion

Glad to hear you're back in business. The extra nodes can be ignored. Not sure why they're created, but that seems to be the case with most zwave devices. It might be a compatibility component of the switch being used by various controllers.

I put the unused nodes into a separate folder to get them out of the way.

@Techman

Hahaha. New to zwave, but those other nodes got relegated to a holding folder right away. 😉 Good to know that this is just part of the zwave world. Thanks

And thanks so much for the wattage threshold parameter test. Not sure I would have realized that as the solution to rapid notifications.