First impressions of 994 to eisy

bmarsh

Just upgraded from a 994 to eisy and after getting the eisy admin console going I see:

1) That the "system busy" popup has now been going for almost an hour (finishes one 100% and then starts on another) Not sure when it will quit if ever.

2) There is no mention in the admin console of the Insteon remote keypads ( 4 scene) or even mention of scenes.  Wouldn't scenes be part of the rebuild using the ISY backup done before switching from 994 to eisy?

12 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

2) There is no mention in the admin console of the Insteon remote keypads ( 4 scene) or even mention of scenes.  Wouldn't scenes be part of the rebuild using the ISY backup done before switching from 994 to eisy?

The AC in my eisy has options for both. 

Screenshot (44).png

Screenshot (45).png

Well it was good while it lasted.  I was on 5.3.4 with the eisy and wanted to make sure I had the latest...   so I clicked on "upgrade packages" on the AC and that was all she wrote.  Let it sit for a long time but now start.jnlp doesn't find the eisy.  I hooked it up to a console and the box is alive but even with 20 years of linux behind me, I can't figure anyway to solve the problem.

I had an awfully hard time to bring the AC the time that it did come up, so maybe I just need to fiddle with it a few more DAYS.

Other than that, it is bricked.

5 minutes ago, Techman said:

Try adding it manually to the IoX Launcher, that's what I had to do.

Tried that many times..... Still not found.

The start.jnlp is bring up the IOX finder...  is that correct?

Edited by bmarsh
13 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

Well it was good while it lasted.  I was on 5.3.4 with the eisy and wanted to make sure I had the latest...   so I clicked on "upgrade packages" on the AC and that was all she wrote.  Let it sit for a long time but now start.jnlp doesn't find the eisy.  I hooked it up to a console and the box is alive but even with 20 years of linux behind me, I can't figure anyway to solve the problem.

I had an awfully hard time to bring the AC the time that it did come up, so maybe I just need to fiddle with it a few more DAYS.

Other than that, it is bricked.

3 minutes ago, Techman said:

Try adding it manually to the IoX Launcher, that's what I had to do.

Try to find the IP address in your DHCP Clients list in your router and see if you can reach http://[ip addy]:8080/admin.jnlp , download then try to open it.

Hooray...   that brought up the AC but nothing shows in the finder window.  But maybe that's ok.

I'm showing an ip addy of 0.0.0.0  in the config...  that's not right

Not sure what to do next but will try to start up again.

7 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

Hooray...   that brought up the AC but nothing shows in the finder window.  But maybe that's ok.

I'm showing an ip addy of 0.0.0.0  in the config...  that's not right

Not sure what to do next but will try to start up again.

Yea, I'm not even using Finder, I just open admin.jnlp downloaded from the eisy.  My Config window used to show the IP address assigned by my router but at 5.5.2 it don't no more.  Of course you can't get focus on any of the text boxes because static IP assignment has been locked out.  

3 minutes ago, GJ Software Products said:

Yea, I'm not even using Finder, I just open admin.jnlp downloaded from the eisy.  My Config window used to show the IP address assigned by my router but at 5.5.2 it don't no more.  Of course you can't get focus on any of the text boxes because static IP assignment has been locked out.  

I reloaded the eisy from a backup up my 994 and now everything seems ok...  even the finder window is showing the right stuff.  

Thanks!!  I'm back in business.  Now if they would only allow us minions to change the IP address and port, I'd be really happy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

I reloaded the eisy from a backup up my 994 and now everything seems ok...  even the finder window is showing the right stuff.  

Thanks!!  I'm back in business.  Now if they would only allow us minions to change the IP address and port, I'd be really happy.

Agree.  I really need Ethernet config; addy, ports, mask, gateway, DNS, NTP, ...

1 minute ago, GJ Software Products said:

Agree.  I really need Ethernet config; addy, ports, mask, gateway, DNS, NTP, ...

Yup.  and if you had all that, you would be able to remotely access without using their setup.  Maybe that's why they shut it out.

3 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

Yup.  and if you had all that, you would be able to remotely access without using their setup.  Maybe that's why they shut it out.

Michael said they had too many support calls for static addressing.  You can still build a VPN and get remote access.  The problem I see here is I know for a fact I could not deploy this on the network at my place of employment.  And I'm seeing a fair amount of stuff on here in reference to IP & WiFi connectivity that someone with experience & access should be able to fix.  Documentation may be a solution, one of my manufacturer's has a whole manual called Network Guide which explains basic TCP/IP and something like that may help for those without a CCNA or NET+ to understand static addressing.  And the button-press restore factory network settings would be a way out, but have it set a default address like 192.168.0.100 or the last octet the last 3 of the SN or something instead of DHCP.   

56 minutes ago, GJ Software Products said:

Michael said they had too many support calls for static addressing.  You can still build a VPN and get remote access.  The problem I see here is I know for a fact I could not deploy this on the network at my place of employment.  And I'm seeing a fair amount of stuff on here in reference to IP & WiFi connectivity that someone with experience & access should be able to fix.  Documentation may be a solution, one of my manufacturer's has a whole manual called Network Guide which explains basic TCP/IP and something like that may help for those without a CCNA or NET+ to understand static addressing.  And the button-press restore factory network settings would be a way out, but have it set a default address like 192.168.0.100 or the last octet the last 3 of the SN or something instead of DHCP.   

Someone mentioned they had SSH'd into the box and were able to change the IP and port.  Might try that after I make sure everything is working ok.

40 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

Someone mentioned they had SSH'd into the box and were able to change the IP and port.  Might try that after I make sure everything is working ok.

Michael told me "Please do NOT change port numbers. Polisy has many services running inside and if you change port numbers, you run the risk of causing the system to brick", so I would guess the same applies to eisy.  You can get to the ip addy using ssh to FreeBSD but I haven't read the FreeBSD docs and it's been almost 3 decades since I managed a Unix box and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction.  Maybe others can chime in.

6 minutes ago, BFrank said:

What did you do to get past the system busy window? I've been stuck there for 2 hours.

Where do you have a system busy window ?  I have not done the migration as I want to have more clarity on the process. I did  "activate" my eisy with the ZMatter USB, added 1 Zwave device and also added 1 Node Server.

When I activated my eisy, it was quite straight forward.  Upgrading my Polisy to 5.5.2 took a long while and the system was busy for long minutes.

Edited by asbril

I never got past the busy window....  And when I was excited for getting the eisy running, it was shortlived...   After loading a backup from my 994, it showed all the connections but it wasn't talking to the PLM, so no actions could occur.  

I'm back on the 994....   <sigh>

14 hours ago, bmarsh said:

I never got past the busy window....  And when I was excited for getting the eisy running, it was shortlived...   After loading a backup from my 994, it showed all the connections but it wasn't talking to the PLM, so no actions could occur.  

I'm back on the 994....   <sigh>

I got it going finally. I reset it back to factory, Upgraded it to 5.5.2, then restored again. This time it completed and it seemed to have been something with the zwave that was causing the original issue. Unfortunately some of my zwave devices weren't migrated and I have plenty of Leviton devices that will not work properly. They use an unsupported hail command when controlled locally. I used a workaround program in the isy994 to convert the hail command to a query but the eisy doesn't see the hail communication so the program doesn't fire. I am back on the 994 too until things stabilize. 

3 hours ago, BFrank said:

I got it going finally. I reset it back to factory, Upgraded it to 5.5.2, then restored again. This time it completed and it seemed to have been something with the zwave that was causing the original issue. Unfortunately some of my zwave devices weren't migrated and I have plenty of Leviton devices that will not work properly. They use an unsupported hail command when controlled locally. I used a workaround program in the isy994 to convert the hail command to a query but the eisy doesn't see the hail communication so the program doesn't fire. I am back on the 994 too until things stabilize. 

I'm still stuck...  Just did a factory reset and restore...  everything looks good and it shows all the devices but I do not get status for each one and I can't control any device.  Which means it is not talking to the PLM, which I just did a reset on.   Yet the PLM works fine on the 994.  

This is my 4th day of trying to get the eisy going and I am about ready to consider it a lost cause. Everything looks good, but no cigar on the devices.  It shouldn't be this tough to get it going.

And the system busy is still cranking...  forever.

Edited by bmarsh
53 minutes ago, bmarsh said:

I'm still stuck...  Just did a factory reset and restore...  everything looks good and it shows all the devices but I do not get status for each one and I can't control any device.  Which means it is not talking to the PLM, which I just did a reset on.   Yet the PLM works fine on the 994.  

This is my 4th day of trying to get the eisy going and I am about ready to consider it a lost cause. Everything looks good, but no cigar on the devices.  It shouldn't be this tough to get it going.

Open a ticket before you give up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmarsh said:

Did you update the eisy to 5.5.2?

3 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Did you update the eisy to 5.5.2?

yes...  

Just switched back to the 994 and every dealing with the PLM is fine on the 994.   So it the PLM is not the problem on the eisy.

Edited by bmarsh

Having just set up my eisy, I experienced the "no device control" as well.  The only thing that worked for me was restoring a backup from before the device control "freeze".  It happened twice to me after several hours of investment.  It seems you are adding insteon devices, so not sure if the issue is the same, but my solution was to perform a backup after adding a few devices (I added about 50 Z-wave devices).  At least for me it was after the Z-Wave add process that the device control would freeze.  I could see the device I last added, but would not be able to control any of them.  Restoring the last backup and then readding devices worked for me.