Pessimistic "Restore Devices" progress bar

Hello all:

Hopefully this piece of information will help prevent stress for someone:

I have around 29 Insteon devices, five of which are KPLs, and then a RL and 1 CL. I have many large scenes with numerous links that incorporate the KPLs, RL, and CL.

I recently did a "Restore Devices" on my entire network, for reasons that I won't get into here ( :oops: ). After observing the progress of the "System Busy" bar, I calculated that it was going to take between 7 to 8 hours for the process to reach 100%! :shock: :shock: :shock: And even then I was wondering if it would wrap around and start over! Yikes!

Much to my surprise (and relief!), the procedure finished when the bar reached about 20%, which took a little less than 1.5 hours. :D Whew!

This is about what it probably would have taken for a complete restore back in my Houselinc days. So I consider this to be reasonable.

The reason for the overestimation (according to Michel), is that the algorithm for the "System Busy" progress bar does not "dynamically" recalculate the progress, as other programs' progress bars might be apt to do. It basically does a "one-time" estimation, and then the GUI is "locked down" once the operation starts.

FYI

Best wishes,

Dude, didn't you try one or two devices to test?

How did it go with the RemoteLinc? Did a requester prompt you to put it in linking mode? Thank goodness it didn't take all day! There is no Cancel in Restores, how could there be?

Restore Devices is, I believe, meant for a new install with only a few devices. Then, as devices are added, they can be restored individually.

I do only a few LampLincs or SwitchLincs at a time and only one multi key controller at a time. And only rarely.

Rand

Linc Long and Learn 8)

Hello Rand:

Well, I did something "bad" to my network, and to fix it, I had to do a "Restore Devices" for everything. :oops::oops:

(I'll come back to this post sometime and be more specific, so that others don't make the same mistake!)

I was using 2.4.13 at the time, and there was no requestor. I'm on 2.4.15 now, and there still is no requestor. Michel says that it will be in the next drop.

I actually did a total restore twice. The first time, the Remotelinc errored, and I just went back and individually restored it.

But admit it, didn't you ever think to yourself, "Gee, I wonder how long it would take to Restore all of my devices :?::?::?:

So in the interest of science, I have dutifully reported what some may have wondered about, but few have attempted!

Of course, if I was Slooplinc, (who I think has well over a hundred devices), then maybe it really would have taken my network 8 hours to restore!!

Best wishes,

Frank,

Thank you so very much for the report. I do appreciate it and, as I mentioned, I totally agree with you: we have to be more accurate which comes back to what Rand has been asking for thousands of years: get those errors to actually mean something instead of just "Request Failed".

All I can say is that that piece of code is in the guts of everything else, quite sensitive, and we just didn't want to touch it while we implementing all these "good things" that you are currently using!

Nonetheless, this shall also be rectified!

Thanks so very much,

With kind regards,

Michel

• 7 months later...

During a Restore Device operation, what I'd like to see (rather than a progress bar - which is apparently just sort of a calculated guess) is a GUI listing of all devices showing which had been restored and which one(s) is(are) in progress, which were successfully restored and which failed.

Also (if it doesn't do this already), I'd appreciate it if the routine would identify and restore all RemoteLincs first, so the user wouldn't have to keep re-arming them just in case the ISY hadn't gotten to them yet. -GA

During a Restore Device operation, what I'd like to see (rather than a progress bar - which is apparently just sort of a calculated guess) is a GUI listing of all devices showing which had been restored and which one(s) is(are) in progress, which were successfully restored and which failed.

If you are using the current beta (v2.6.4 or higher) you can see all of this in the event viewer.

From admin console: Tools -> Diagnostics -> Event Viewer.

Also (if it doesn't do this already), I'd appreciate it if the routine would identify and restore all RemoteLincs first, so the user wouldn't have to keep re-arming them just in case the ISY hadn't gotten to them yet. -GA

Yes, it restores all of the RemoteLincs first, then does the others.

If you are using the current beta (v2.6.4 or higher) you can see all of this in the event viewer.

From admin console: Tools -> Diagnostics -> Event Viewer.

Yes, it restores all of the RemoteLincs first, then does the others.

Well, THAT was easy. Guess it's time to update to the latest rev. Thanks, Chris!

BTW, several people in this thread referred to restoring individual devices, but looking at my ISY-26 menus, I don't really see how I would go about doing that. Perhaps this is another feature that will show up once I update? -GA

Archived