New router, no ISY

johnmsch
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

I bought a new router yesterday and after getting everything setup, I don't see my ISY994.  All the other devices on my network are there, but the ISY is missing.

I discovered this when running the launcher on my desktop and the finder says Not Found.

Any ideas how to get it back?

are you using the same address block on old vs new router?  such as 192.168.x.y  is x the same? on both?  or is your new router using 10.10.x.y vs 192.168.x.y?   Did you have your ISY configured to use a static IP address? 

Can you see your ISY listed in the device table of the router?  do you know if it's getting an IP address?

What model is the older router?  What model is the new router? 

@MrBill- thanks for the quick reply!

The DHCP address range on the old Netgear R7000 was 192.168.0.n and the new ASUS RT-AX86U is 192.168.50.n.  Initially, I thought about changing the new router to use the old IP range, but forgot to and since everything else is running fine now, that seems like overkill.

When I said the ISY was missing, what I meant was that its not showing up in the device table in the new router. In the old one, I did not have a static IP assigned to the ISY.  Before removing the old router, I did a ton of screen prints into a Word document and can see that the ISY was assigned 192.168.0.5. 

After four different ASUS routers I found they do not properly reboot with the reset button or software reset for certain problems. Try the power cycle method with a good 5-10 seconds of off time. You may want to power cycle your polisy at the same time allowing plenty of time after the router stabilises.

BTW: Check you posted IP address. IIRC: The 192.168.50.x subnet was only for the initial factory reset of some ASUS routers. I would change that to the 192.168.0.x subnet or you may be in for a world of pain with your whole house of devices.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

Have you restarted the ISY since the new router?   If there is no static assignment in the ISY that should get it a new IP in the new range via DHCP.

Bingo, after rebooting the ISY, it has an IP and is showing in the device table.  I'm also able to fire up the Launcher and get to the admin console.

The thought had crossed my mind of rebooting the ISY or even assigning the previous IP as a static IP, but wanted to run this by you guys first.  I was stumped on why all other devices on my network, except the ISY, automatically got IPs on the new router.

Thanks, as always, for your help

• Like 1
1 hour ago, larryllix said:

After four different ASUS routers I found they do not properly reboot with the reset button or software reset for certain problems. Try the power cycle method with a good 5-10 seconds of off time. You may want to power cycle your polisy at the same time allowing plenty of time after the router stabilises.

BTW: Check you posted IP address. IIRC: The 192.168.50.x subnet was only for the initial factory reset of some ASUS routers. I would change that to the 192.168.0.x subnet or you may be in for a world of pain with your whole house of devices.

Very interesting.  I've heard nothing but good things about ASUS routers from all of my geek buddies.  After many years of using Netgear routers with not-always good results, I thought to give ASUS a try after my R700 bricked itself yesterday.

Looks like my initial thought of using the old router's DHCP settings was the correct way to go.  I'll do this tonight.

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, johnmsch said:

I was stumped on why all other devices on my network, except the ISY, automatically got IPs on the new router.

newer devices seem to to detect network changes and ask for a new IP via DHCP much sooner.  ISY994's will eventually but you'll likely get tired of waiting.  Not sure how Polisy/eisy behaves in that sense...

Very interesting.  I've heard nothing but good things about ASUS routers from all of my geek buddies.  After many years of using Netgear routers with not-always good results, I thought to give ASUS a try after my R700 bricked itself yesterday.
Looks like my initial thought of using the old router's DHCP settings was the correct way to go.  I'll do this tonight.
Thank you!
3 of my four ASUS routers worked much better...99% when they weren't overheating, living on a muffin fan. The other one was a manufacturing defect...bad design and ASUS knew it and added more memory without telling or compensating the thousands of already owners.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk