New Insteon Products

kclenden

41 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Anyone know what wall plate works with the i3 rotary dimmer?   single gang doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm sure there's one in the box.  But what 2,3,4 and more gang?  Any device could be in the other slots....

Answered my own question... it's still a Decora style device.

They also have a specific one for it

14 hours ago, jec6613 said:

They actually did offer all that through the Hub... for the original Hub when it launched over a decade ago - heck, it even had a basic HTTP interface for the whole setup that exposed everything.  Before that was the networked PLM that you could use with PC software (HouseLinc? I think) to configure it and it would also expose everything over a standard basic HTTP interface so anything could hook it.  And a number of AV vendors took advantage of it before they got into their own lighting - Elan and URC, among others, used it as one of their lighting options before they brought more sophisticated control in house.

The Hub 2 and MSII came out relatively close to each other and were when things locked down, but what you're asking for existed for the bulk of Insteon's history.

I am not going to take the time to go back and research it all (because it's all moot now) but that is not how I remember it. A couple of points as I remember it:

1. The API for the hub required an application key. The application key was obtained by an email (or web form) submission to Smarthome/Insteon support. I tried many, many times over several years to obtain an application key with no response. By the time I received an application key, the Hub II was out and the REST (HTTP) interface was online only and limited in functionality. And yes, I understand you could find application keys in GitHub repositories and they were passed around for some time, but if certainly wasn't official and was subject to change.

2. The networked PLM were exactly that - access to PLMs. You didn't get the benefit of the configuration and management of the hub. You had to do everything yourself. Similarly, there was a local API to the Hub that gave you access to the PLM internally. You could monitor the Insteon traffic in the home and send Insteon commands over the PLM. However, again, you were decoupled from the setup, configuration, and management of the devices in the hub itself. 

Given these points, I think my original submission stands - Insteon has never made a public, published, and local API to the hub available.

Edited by Goose66
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, kclenden said:

Perhaps each of us should send that message to Insteon via their contact form: https://www.insteon.com/contact-us

So I followed my own suggestion and submitted a message via the Insteon contact form saying that I was excited about the new products but could only buy them if they were supported by the Universal Devices ISY and thus I hoped that Insteon would fully support third-party controllers.  Within 24 hours, I received the following reply:

Kevin,

Customer Service forwarded email to me.  As I mentioned on the Zoom meeting Friday, we fully support all of the partners including ISY.  I do know that ISY plans to support the new products.

I hope that helps and thank you for supporting Insteon.

Ken

Ken Fairbanks

CEO, Insteon Technologies

kfairbanks@insteon.com

I'm not sure that Ken's reply really means that he thinks that the ISY will support the new products, or just more generally Universal Devices.  While I hope the ISY supports them, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to upgrade to an eisy.

• Thanks 1

Man, I’m stoked about these i3 dials. They look really elegant and match the appearance of dimmers that sell for 2-3x the price. I hope UD is able to implement them right away and, I know this is a stretch, but it would be really nice if they can update their system to allow swapping from the older dimmers to this new one. Either way I’m going to hop on them as soon as I can.