EISY UD Mobile will not connect via WiFi

ISY4Me

1 hour ago, zorax2 said:

Exact same issues here - iPhone 14 Pro, IOS version 16.2

@zorax2 I just wanted to let you know that my issues continue and I am working with @Javivia a ticket to try to get some insight.  

My house is almost pure Apple and UD Mobile is running on an iPhone X on iOS 16.2… there have been some questions in my mind if this issue is iOS or other… the point in question is that my WiFi AP is an Apple Time Capsule 2Gb.  All my WiFi APs in the house are Apple Extremes or Apple Time Capsules.

I had a very old (1990s) Belkin so I ran a test with the iPhone connecting to the Belkin and then the Belkin connecting with the network.  The Belkin was so slow to set up, age has not treated it well, but I was successful in using UD Mobile on the iPhone to set up the EISY AP. 

However, I removed the Belkin since it was so wacky and to get all back to normal I had to reset the EISY network and that killed the EISY AP.  However, that one result was encouraging, but I don’t have a quality WiFi Router that is not Apple to permanently try a different setup.  Trying UD Mobile WiFi Config on an Android is also not an option. 

So, is iOS on the iPhone part of the issue? Is the problem related to the router it connects through? An interesting problem to deconstruct.

@Javiis starting with analyzing what the iPhone is doing and I am giving him what he needs (log files), but that work is just starting. 

Edited by ISY4Me

I'm using a ASUS RT-AX86U WiFi mesh. Rock solid, new firmware, mesh configuration in large home.

I've been trying to connect via the wired (rather than wireless) process on the UD Mobile app from my iPhone on my regular (non-guest) network with no luck either. I am able to connect and setup the portal. No matter what permutation of settings I try, I'm having no luck connecting to my eisy. It can see it and gives the correct MAC address under the system name but can't connect remotely via the ISY portal or with local network connection settings. I'm stuck.

I am using a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro and most of my network is Unifi. I have been able to set up UD Mobil, my portal is correct now, wifi and wired working to the Eisy. Yesterday PG3 would not allow login but since I got things working in UD Mobil (I think) I have not tried PG3. Will try later today. 

I just now tried PG3 and was not able to login. It flashed up the portal login screen (which I logged into) and then flashed up the PG3 login screen. I tried the default passwords and other associated passwords but no luck. 

I will keep watching the forum and continue to experiment as I am not in a rush. My ISY994 continues to function well.

Edited by atomicboy

Version 1.0.12 will try to fix iOS not asking to join the network. Although because I can not replicate the issue I'm not sure if this will work.

I will need logs to try to diagnose the other issues.  Version 1.0.11 of the iOS app now has logging available to the user for WiFi configuration classes.  If the logs are capture please send them to me as a Private Message as the logs may contain your WiFi credentials.

There also appears to be issues with WiFi only devices, such as iPads, not working. This appears to be a bug on Apple's side.  I'll need to report to Apple.

If having connection issues after starting WiFi or switching to ethernet please first try to reset networking by pressing the power button 4 times.

How to capture logs on IOS:

Video:

https://youtu.be/-tNDYX4n860

Directions:

Start debugging by physically connecting your iPhone into your Mac, open the Console App, Select your iPhone on the left panel, enter "UDMobileNSLog" without quotations into the search box on the top right, then press Start Streaming button in the center of the window, finally start WiFi configuration.  When finished Select Edit → Select All, Select Edit → Copy then paste the output here or in a text file.

Note that if eisy's wifi access point is active and the power button is double pressed again then eisy's access point will become disabled. So if the app failed verify the access point is still active, if it is do not double press power button again.  This is an iOS limitation, iOS will not allow Devs to read WiFi access points unless the app falls into a small number of categories.

I am at this point up and running with everything on my eisy (All Insteon working, PG3 and Elk Node Server working, UD Mobile working).

I have my eisy in wired mode and decided not try to change it to wireless mode. I had everything working last night with eisy but could not get UD Mobile to integrate with eisy no matter what I tried on the app. I tried to get UD Mobile working this morning and "Bingo" everything worked. I have no idea as to what may have changed given all the permutations I previously tried. I'm just thrilled everything is working!

1 hour ago, Javi said:

Version 1.0.12 will try to fix iOS not asking to join the network. Although because I can not replicate the issue I'm not sure if this will work.

I will need logs to try to diagnose the other issues.  Version 1.0.11 of the iOS app now has logging available to the user for WiFi configuration classes.  If the logs are capture please send them to me as a Private Message as the logs may contain your WiFi credentials.

There also appears to be issues with WiFi only devices, such as iPads, not working.

@Javi Should the manual WiFi configuration remove any issues related to the OS/device that the user uses for normal UD Mobile connection?  

As an iOS user,  I have continued to fail getting WiFi mode working. I had comments about trying manual WiFi configuration using Firefox on macOS in my recent ticket response, but that appeared to fail too.  Is there a command line method to set up WiFi in a direct EISY connection (using hdmi monitor and usb keyboard)?

Edited by ISY4Me
1 hour ago, ISY4Me said:

@Javi Should the manual WiFi configuration remove any issues related to the OS/device that the user uses for normal UD Mobile connection?  

These are seperate functions. You should be able to setup WiFi for a non-linked eisy if you had another. So both manual and from Settings-Tab > WiFi configuration should not affect UD Mobile.  You are experiencing the need to reset the network also which is a different issue which we are looking into.

1 hour ago, ISY4Me said:

As an iOS user,  I have continued to fail getting WiFi mode working. I had comments about trying manual WiFi configuration using Firefox on macOS in my recent ticket response, but that appeared to fail too.  

This should not fail, however it is possible the OS will not route network requests to a network without internet.  This works with Chrome on a Mac but I have not tried Safari/Firefox. 

Please try again as soon as 1.0.12 is available. While I don't see Apple docs saying the request to join a WiFi network needs to be on the Main Thread some of your issues make me think this may be true along with the fact that it is returned on the Main Thread. So, I changed the call to connect to the network to the applications main thread and created a new thread for the response.

1 hour ago, ISY4Me said:

Is there a command line method to set up WiFi in a direct EISY connection (using hdmi monitor and usb keyboard)?

Not published if it does exist. But will ask if the next build does not get us any further. 

It would also be great to see the logs if you can get them working.

29 minutes ago, Javi said:
1 hour ago, ISY4Me said:

As an iOS user,  I have continued to fail getting WiFi mode working. I had comments about trying manual WiFi configuration using Firefox on macOS in my recent ticket response, but that appeared to fail too.  

This should not fail, however it is possible the OS will not route network requests to a network without internet.  This works with Chrome on a Mac but I have not tried Safari/Firefox. 

I have tried the manual method multiple times with FireFox on macOS.  I can see the eisy.setup AP and join it with no issues.  I then go to FireFox and issue the setup URL and it executes and responds with "eisy.home AP setup".  I don't know if that response indicates a success or not.  Within a few minutes of that message on the screen, the eisy.setup AP shuts down and if I plug the ethernet back in and wait a few minutes the EISY with re-connect with the Portal.

If I then try the EISY on WiFi... disconnect the ethernet cable, wait a few minutes and restart the launcher... the EISY will not show in the launcher.  To me this indicates the EISY did not connect to the SSID WiFi successfully when the ethernet cable was disconnected.  Is this an appropriate way to test?

To anyone else having issues with WiFi configuration.  It appears the app fails WiFi configuration when Global User Preferences for launch type is set to anything but Default.  This is caused by iOS's prompt to join the wifi network notifying the app that it is being removed, upon selecting join or cancel an app restart is triggered.   Until we have a fix please set the Global user preference to default for WiFi Configuration.

Edit:  WiFi config with non-default launch type fixed in version 1.0.14

• Like 1

Working with @Michel Kohanimand @Javi changes/improvements have been added to the UD Mobile Wifi configuration process and some changes to how the credentials are set during the UD Mobile WIFI Configuration process.  If you were having similar issues, assure UD Mobile is on 1.0.14 and EISY is on 5.5.4.   

With these improvements I was able to setup the WiFI.

• Thanks 1