Remotelinc in Communication Mode?

yardman 49

Hello all RemoteLinc users:

I've seen information from SmartHome that suggests that once the RemoteLinc is put into "communication mode" (by holding down the Dim and Bright buttons for more that 10 seconds) that it should stay in that mode longer than 4 minutes, as long as it receives a message in that time period.

I have not experienced this desired behavior. If I put my RL into comm mode, it only seems to stay there for 4 minutes, even if it is in the middle of being programmed by the ISY.

What sayeth ye? Does anyone see the RL stay in comm mode more than 4 minutes when linking devices through the ISY, or when doing a Restore Device on the RemoteLinc?

Thanks

Press Dim to cancel the linking mode after any one operation and then restart the linking session for the next operation. A new four minutes.

The RL never does more then four minutes of linking. Often restarting the linking mode will add another 4 minutes to the original communication if completed quickly enough. The ISY has very good error recovery.

Rand

Hello Rand:

What you describe is exactly the behavior that I have seen. But I had seen a communication from SmartHome that said otherwise. It said that "the device would stay awake for 4 minutes from the last message received".

So I just wanted to see if we all were having the same experience.

As you have said, restarting the linking mode will add another 4 minutes. Thankfully UD has designed the ISY so that it doesn't give up too quickly when writing to the RemoteLinc.

I not surprised about this discrepancy in what SH says and what actually happens. I've seen a few times now when they don't even have their own linking instructions on their other devices documented properly. For instance, for the KPL the PDF instruction manual will say to hold the button for 10 seconds to go into linking mode, release, and then hold for another 10 seconds to enter unlinking mode. In reality it will maybe be only another 3 to 5 seconds to enter unlinking mode. This is also true for some other devices.

Archived