KPL programming issues with 2.7.13

paulw

Have a new 8 button kpl which is giving me problems when setting up via the isy99p.

At this point I am setting up two scenes on buttons C and E.

I am unable to change the led levels.

After the initial setup, A worked fine for the local load, C and E worked properly. Except, if I turned on A with C and E on, the led's for C and E would turn off. (scene was not effected)

I reset the kpl, all keys function properly.

I then did a device restore. This time I could not turn on A unless I held it on until bright was full on, then the led would light (off functioned fine). C and E would function fine, but still had the led turn off issue with A.

I did another reset, again all keys seemed to function properly.

Did another restore, A returned to normal operation. Scenes for C and E were fine. But this time only the led for E would turn off when A was turned on.

Do you think I am looking at a kpl issue or something else?

Paul

My first reaction would be to perform a device compare, to see if the device links match those of the ISY. My suspicion with my system is that intermittent communication errors can cause mismatches between device and ISY. Perhaps you are seeing something like this.

Did your device restore happen pretty quick, or did it seem like it took a long time?

While your inconsistent response to restore makes me think otherwise, I would also check to make sure you do not have some mutually exclusive relationship going on between KPL buttons.

No mutually exclusive relationships set in isy.

Restore took about the same amount of time as any other device I have done.

Will do the device compare when home tonight.

Have not had any comm problems programming any other units but.....

Another thing I did notice, is that 3 buttons are a different brightness than the others whether on or off, making me wonder if it does point towards a kpl problem. Or, just different led's.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am with oberkc ... the best thing would be to do a compare.

If you have different LED levels for different sets of buttons, I do strongly recommend getting your KPL replaced since it is NOT normal.

Also, if you have spidered this KPL, there might be links in there that are causing problems. A factory reset of the KPL might also be an option.

With kind regards,

Michel

Found the compare to be identical.

LED level is interesting. I have a this 8 button is new out of the box, and I have a 6 button purchased at the same time (both ivory). On both of them the B, C, D, buttons are brighter than all the others. Makes me wonder if it is a production problem with the ivory covers. I'll have to remove the covers and see what the bare led's look like.

Michel, there was no spidering, the responders and the 8 buttons were new, added by address.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Is is possible that some of them are on while others are off? The reason I asked for replacement is because I have never seen such a behavior nor has it ever been reported. So, if we make sure that they do not have the same brightness (either all off or all on), then that surely indicates a problem.

If the compare is identical, then please do a factory reset on your KPL and do another restore.

With kind regards,

Michel

Found the compare to be identical.

LED level is interesting. I have a this 8 button is new out of the box, and I have a 6 button purchased at the same time (both ivory). On both of them the B, C, D, buttons are brighter than all the others. Makes me wonder if it is a production problem with the ivory covers. I'll have to remove the covers and see what the bare led's look like.

Michel, there was no spidering, the responders and the 8 buttons were new, added by address.

Paul

I received a KPL-8 with ivory button caps a year or so ago which exhibited the same brightness inconsistencies you describe. The differences stayed with the buttons when I moved them to different positions on the KPL, clearly indicating button cap problems. My solution was to have Smarthome send me an ivory button kit, which solved the problem. The KPL itself was fine (at least in my case).

--Mark

Archived