Running IoX as a VM

21 minutes ago, ShawnW said:

Wouldn't that be stealing if you haven't been sold a license to do so? 

Just sayin...

I don't think there is a IoX license that doesn't come with the unit. Polyglot, but even that is part of eisy now.

Edited by TRI0N
31 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

I don't think there is a IoX license that doesn't come with the unit. Polyglot, but even that is part of eisy now.

That's essentially my point. There is no 'proper'/allowed way to take the software and copy to other devices. 
And I doubt it would even be legal to "move" your software from your eisy to a non-native device. Again, just sayin, but I figured most of us on the forums would have too much respect for the company's exhaustive work and support to attempt something similar. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried loading an image of my Polisy on my Proxmox server and it wouldn't start. Didn't spend too much time trying stuff.

Here's a thread on the subject 

I would think that as long as you bought the hardware and aren't using it too it would be okay but I didn't ask as I couldn't even get it going.

47 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

I tried loading an image of my Polisy on my Proxmox server and it wouldn't start. Didn't spend too much time trying stuff.

There's a hardware TPM it's expecting, I don't recall that Proxmox handles that well.  Some versions of Hyper-V can virtualize the TPM transparently, ESXi not so much.  Further up the stack, you'll also need the drivers for things like NICs and other hardware you're passing through that aren't in the repo.

And at the end of all of this, I'm not sure what you gain ... failover requires so much extra hardware to handle the TPM (at least two clusters) that you'd be better off with a recent backup and a cold standby eisy.

40 minutes ago, jec6613 said:

There's a hardware TPM it's expecting, I don't recall that Proxmox handles that well.  Some versions of Hyper-V can virtualize the TPM transparently, ESXi not so much.  Further up the stack, you'll also need the drivers for things like NICs and other hardware you're passing through that aren't in the repo.

Oh yes, the TPM. Forgot about that. It's an available option - at least in 7.3 - that worked fine for my Win11 VM. There's a highly compatible E1000 network driver that I haven't seen not work. I might try again some day just for kicks. I don't see myself using it, though. It would just be a let's-see-if-I-can-make-this-work kind of thing.

I've had it running on VM but not working. IoX acted wacky. Couldn't set time zone, for instance. And didn't see PLM. Had a conversation with UDI and they weren't interested in porting to VM at the time. Perhaps if there's more demand, they might change their mind in the future. But

1. A lot of people here seems to like idea of having separate box for separate things.

2. Support would likely be an issue. It's one thing to support known hardware / known firmware. Another thing to support all various configuration variants.

I thought that was the advantage of hypervisors and VMs. You only need to support a fixed set of virtualized devices, regardless of host hardware.

I run multiple VMs (Windows, Ubuntu, RedHat, Debian, including FreeBSD on Proxmox hypervisor. I have even ported VMs between hypervisors, including Windows, without having to go through Windows activation again. Proxmox supports individual USB device pass through and TPM 2.0 emulation (not all hypervisors do). Both PfSense and TrueNAS CORE are FreeBSD based and support virtualization.

So I don’t think UDI would have to support different hardware platforms. They would only need to support a small number of Hypervisors and virtualized devices. I am biased towards Proxmox because the price is exactly right (free).

I hope to upgrade to eISY/IoX, or what ever it is called now, but given the current state of issues with the platform and the inability to easily roll back is preventing me from even considering it now, especially given the rock solid performance and reliability of my ISY994i. It also allows node developers to test their wares on multiple versions, ensuring a compatibility.  

Personally, I just don’t have the bandwidth to tackle another unstable project.  

If UDI wants to limit virtualization overhead support costs, they could simply limit support to the eISY, and one or two Hypervisors. The advantage of running as a VM is you can take VM snapshots and quickly roll back if an upgrade does not go as planned. Also seems like it would be a better long term solution to easily switch hardware platforms the next time they run into obsolescence and availability issues.

Edited by elvisimprsntr
  • Like 1
On 3/30/2023 at 5:27 AM, elvisimprsntr said:

I thought that was the advantage of hypervisors and VMs. You only need to support a fixed set of virtualized devices, regardless of host hardware.

I run multiple VMs (Windows, Ubuntu, RedHat, Debian, including FreeBSD on Proxmox hypervisor. I have even ported VMs between hypervisors, including Windows, without having to go through Windows activation again. Proxmox supports individual USB device pass through and TPM 2.0 emulation (not all hypervisors do). Both PfSense and TrueNAS CORE are FreeBSD based and support virtualization.

So I don’t think UDI would have to support different hardware platforms. They would only need to support a small number of Hypervisors and virtualized devices. I am biased towards Proxmox because the price is exactly right (free).

I hope to upgrade to eISY/IoX, or what ever it is called now, but given the current state of issues with the platform and the inability to easily roll back is preventing me from even considering it now, especially given the rock solid performance and reliability of my ISY994i. It also allows node developers to test their wares on multiple versions, ensuring a compatibility.  

Personally, I just don’t have the bandwidth to tackle another unstable project.  

If UDI wants to limit virtualization overhead support costs, they could simply limit support to the eISY, and one or two Hypervisors. The advantage of running as a VM is you can take VM snapshots and quickly roll back if an upgrade does not go as planned. Also seems like it would be a better long term solution to easily switch hardware platforms the next time they run into obsolescence and availability issues.

Not sure where you are going with this. UD isn't going to give you their software for free. They are not going to develop a distro for release on 3rd Party Hardware. You'll have the same luck trying to get Apple to release their latest iPhone software to you. It's not happening. If you truly port things over, you shouldn't even need to ask for it.

TRi0N

Edited by TRI0N
2 hours ago, TRI0N said:

Not sure where you are going with this. UD isn't going to give you their software for free. They are not going to develop a distro for release on 3rd Party Hardware. You'll have the same luck trying to get Apple to release their latest iPhone software to you. It's not happening. If you truly port things over, you shouldn't even need to ask for it.

TRi0N

I'm not asking for UDI to give me anything for free.  I'm just asking for an alternative way to run it with a paid license and/or buying their rebranded HW.  That way I can also run other guests (Homebridge, Home Assistant, etc.) on the same hardware.  

Edited by elvisimprsntr
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, elvisimprsntr said:

I'm not asking for UDI to give me anything for free.  I'm just asking for an alternative way to run it with a paid license and/or buying their rebranded HW.  That way I can also run other guests (Homebridge, Home Assistant, etc.) on the same hardware.  

So you want them to bundle a distro that could be installed on whatever you would plan. That would be a sizable increase to the development team to have them make distros for all the Unix based flavors and possible iOS or WIN. Don't think they have any plans to do that. 

TRI0N

39 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

So you want them to bundle a distro that could be installed on whatever you would plan. That would be a sizable increase to the development team to have them make distros for all the Unix based flavors and possible iOS or WIN. Don't think they have any plans to do that. 

TRI0N

When did I ever ask that? I am not asking to run IoX on every distribution or appliance.     Just run it virtualized on the same hardware/distribution they are already using, so that users can take snapshots, easily roll back when updates do not go as planed, etc.  I am not the only one who sees a possible benefit of running virtualized.  

• Like 1