When are z-wave sensor readings updated?

vbPhil

So, I have several ZSE44 TEMPERATURE | HUMIDITY XS SENSORS and their readings had an Unknown status in Home Assistant after having worked for many months.

I checked the IoX Admin Console and it was showing values. Poked around some and couldn't find anything obviously wrong so I re-booted IoX from the AC Reboot button and restarted Home Assistant.

It's been an hour later and still no values shown in the AC.

I've gotten kind of numb dealing with all the z-wave issues from the z-matter upgrade that I never know if it's a normal z-wave operation or a real issue.  I can't imagine that all of the sensors have quit working, so I have some questions.

1. When does IoX update the displayed readings from a z-wave battery device?
  2. If a z-wave battery device fails, will IoX indicate somewhere that's it's offline or something?
  3. What are some good troubleshooting steps for this issue?
  4. Home Assistant question: What would explain HA showing Unknown for the sensor when it was working earlier? 

One possibility is the battery-friendly default settings for the ZSE44. For example, the default for temperature reporting is to update only for changes > 2 degrees, or every 4 hours.

The manual has info about the default settings, how to force wake the sensor and more: https://www.getzooz.com/downloads/zooz-z-wave-plus-700-series-temperature-humidity-xs-sensor-zse44-manual.pdf

I installed one recently for humidity monitoring. It's been working great after I changed the humidity threshold from the default of a 10% change triggering reporting.

58 minutes ago, Scott847 said:

One possibility is the battery-friendly default settings for the ZSE44. For example, the default for temperature reporting is to update only for changes > 2 degrees, or every 4 hours.

Funny, I was aware of those settings, and it didn't occur to me, I should be running with the defaults. Anyway, The AC is now showing readings and it's been about 1 hour. I doubt any of the readings have change all that much because they're in pretty stable environments. Home assistant is still showing Unknown so that's a separate troubleshoot.

I still would like to know what the "as designed" process is for IoX. After a reboot will it wait for the device to send data again or display the last known value? Does the AC always show the last reading, and then you wouldn't know that the device quit sending.

8 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

I still would like to know what the "as designed" process is for IoX. After a reboot will it wait for the device to send data again or display the last known value? Does the AC always show the last reading, and then you wouldn't know that the device quit sending.

My understanding is that for battery operated devices like the ZSE44 there's no way for IoX to wake it up after restarting and it doesn't remember the last reading before restart. So there won't be any reading in IoX until either a threshold is crossed (e.g., a 2 degree temperature change from last report) or the maximum reporting interval is exceeded (e.g., every 4 hours for temperature).

If you leave your AC running for awhile you can look at Tools / Diagnostics / Event Viewer and download that to a file. Scanning through that I found that my ZSE44 device reported temperature changes at the following times today for device ID ZY023_118:

12:28:57 AM
04:31:11 AM
08:33:31 AM
09:10:49 AM

14 hours ago, vbPhil said:

So, I have several ZSE44 TEMPERATURE | HUMIDITY XS SENSORS and their readings had an Unknown status in Home Assistant after having worked for many months.

I checked the IoX Admin Console and it was showing values. Poked around some and couldn't find anything obviously wrong so I re-booted IoX from the AC Reboot button and restarted Home Assistant.

It's been an hour later and still no values shown in the AC.

I've gotten kind of numb dealing with all the z-wave issues from the z-matter upgrade that I never know if it's a normal z-wave operation or a real issue.  I can't imagine that all of the sensors have quit working, so I have some questions.

1. When does IoX update the displayed readings from a z-wave battery device?
  2. If a z-wave battery device fails, will IoX indicate somewhere that's it's offline or something?
  3. What are some good troubleshooting steps for this issue?
  4. Home Assistant question: What would explain HA showing Unknown for the sensor when it was working earlier? 

The ZSE44 set for reporting intervals, parameter's 16 and 17. They are default to 240 minutes. This is the Reporting Interval when the temperatures/humidity have NOT changed from your set params for Thresholds 3 and 4. This is not you waiting for eisy, you're waiting for the ZSE44's to report to eisy on timed intervals.

I have all mine set to report (16 and 17) for 10 mins and the batteries are working great. Note: The outside one under the eave of the patio fluctuates when tempters get below 45 degree F and report that battery is at 39% but soon as the sun comes out he battery is back to 100%.. LoL so don't rely on battery info for the outside one too much. I had a notifications set for that and it's disabled now.. 

Which I think I'll just add a if Temp is > 60 and Battery < X for notifications on that one, now that I think about it...

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, TRI0N said:

I have all mine set to report (16 and 17) for 10 mins and the batteries are working great.

Just to confirm. Can you wake up the device from the AC using the Keep Awake button? I've never been sure of that or actually found it to work. I've always had to wake up the device manually by pulling the cover. My intuition isn't good for the z-wave controls in the AC.

image.jpeg.88c3c1690252d7d03dffec09911541f2.jpeg

4 hours ago, vbPhil said:

Just to confirm. Can you wake up the device from the AC using the Keep Awake button? I've never been sure of that or actually found it to work. I've always had to wake up the device manually by pulling the cover. My intuition isn't good for the z-wave controls in the AC.

image.jpeg.88c3c1690252d7d03dffec09911541f2.jpeg

Here is what you do... The Keep Awake doesn't appear to do anything but I still use the procedure just incase it gets fixed. So set the Keep Away On, then click keep awake button to the left of that. That sends the Keep Awake Link Beat (which isn't really working), right click the device on the left and select Z-Wave -> Set Configuration Parameter. 

image.png.22cd2f275ed453d8bf0a986948fa55f9.png

Now once you have that open. get ready because this is what I mean the Keep Awake Link Beat is not functioning as one would expect. You would expect it to keep sending a Keep Awake Link Beat to the device to keep it from going back to sleep in 15 seconds. Not the case but still I follow this procedure. Now get Param 16 or 17 set in there. Now press the button on the ZSE44 4 times (this is annoying because the button is so damn small and you have to press it 4 times real fast compared to other devices) to put in in Manuel Wake. Now press Query. It should be able to query that parameter and give you what it's set for and the byte size required for that parameter too.

You might get away with doing that on a couple of them before it goes back to sleep, or even Query to see what it is and then set the parameter to what you want before sleep. Long story short, you will need to press that Manuel Wake each time your query and set before timeout.

Once you have all your Parameters set right click again and this time you are going to Synchronize - Update with Interview. But don't press OK to perform it just yet. Again set the ZSE44 to Manuel wake and now press Ok to perform the Update with Interview. Let it do its thing...  If all goes well it won't have any Waiting to Write to Device indicators on each of the device nodes. In the event that the Waiting to Write to Device Indicators do show up, don't panic. It's all good. You can either put the device in Manuel Wake again and right click "Write Changes" or you can just let the device do it on it's own after it's next timed wake interval which is 12 hours for the ZSE44. I prefer to write them immediately.

Lastly, set the Keep Awake back to Off.

You're done....

PS - If you miss press the button on the ZSE44 and accidently put it in Inclusion/Exclusion Mode, just let it time out, Once the light stops indicating it's in Inclusion/Exclusion Mode you can try again for 4 quick presses. 

Cheers!

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N