Erasing the PLM

vbPhil
Go to solution Solved by vbPhil,

I'm going to replace my Polisy's old serial PLM with a brand-new USB version. The ISY Cookbook procedure is pretty straightforward on how to do this in the section, 5.2.1.7 Restore Modem (PLM), so hopefully there's no gotchas. I was wondering if the memory on the new PLM is erased before it's restored to my network so that there won't be any orphaned links hanging around? That would also apply to reusing the old PLM someday but yet it's full of links. Does all that get cleared away somehow?

1 hour ago, vbPhil said:

Does all that get cleared away somehow?

I'm not sure. Why not perform a factory reset like suggested for most other Insteon devices before installing just to be sure?

Looks like the section of the cookbook is just a copy of this section in the wiki:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_(PLM)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Why not perform a factory reset like suggested for most other Insteon devices before installing just to be sure?

Good idea. Assuming original factory settings would have an empty link database this from the 2413U quick Start Guide should do the trick.

To reset PowerLinc Modem to its original factory settings, unplug from wall outlet and wait 10 seconds. Press and hold Set button; while continuing to press and hold, plug back in. A long beep will sound; continue holding Set button until beep stops, then release. After several seconds, status LED will turn on to indicate reset is complete

• Like 1
  • Solution
19 hours ago, MrBill said:

Factory reset is what I would do.

I asked Insteon and here's their answer:

If you hold the set button in on the PLM while plugging it in and continue to hold until the PLM stops buzzing, then all links are cleared.

Thank you,

Steve Lee

Insteon Support

@vbPhil oh sorry, i didn't realize you needed to know how to do that.... same as any other line powered Insteon device--hold the set button during powerup until the beep stops.  (Since pulling the set button out on a switch air-gaps or de-powers the device, the instruction is essentially the same across the board).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MrBill said:

i didn't realize you needed to know how to do that

I knew how to do the factory restore but didn't read anywhere that it actually cleared out the links database in the PLM. But now, we've heard it from the horse's mouth, Steve Lee, who's probably the foremost expert on Insteon.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

I knew how to do the factory restore but didn't read anywhere that it actually cleared out the links database in the PLM. But now, we've heard it from the horse's mouth, Steve Lee, who's probably the foremost expert on Insteon.

Oh, the fact that factory reset clears the link database has never been unclear to me.  Factory Reset clearing links in devices applies to ALL devices, PLM, line powered or battery powered.

• Like 2