Zwave lock recommendation for EISY

ctviggen1

I have two of the same type of Zwave locks for the front door (no sun) and the basement (tons of sun).  The locks use glass input panels  The panel on the rear door started developing what looked like chips in it.  We thought someone had hit it with something, but now we think the sun and heat are causing this.  The front door lock is fine, as it's in the shade all the time.

Can anyone recommend a Zwave lock that only uses close (no geofencing or remote open) that can stand up to the sun?  This is a south-facing door. The lock operates only the deadbolt.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:34 AM, ctviggen1 said:

Can anyone recommend a Zwave lock that only uses close (no geofencing or remote open) that can stand up to the sun?  This is a south-facing door. The lock operates only the deadbolt.

Can't help if you are dead set on no geofencing/remote open for security issues.

If you are willing to reconsider, I love the Ultraloq U-Bolt-Pro-Zwave.  It allows fingerprint, number code, or keyed entry.  It's also 700 series Zwave so the distance is good.  I've used these in my home and my daughters.

As a bonus, the lock includes a "door closed" sensor.  It's a magnet that you attach to your door frame.  Using the lock app (phone based) you calibrate the door so it knows when it's closed.  Works very well and allows the "autolock" function to work very well.

I have nothing but good things to say about these locks.  Including the firmware updates that they provide.

I do need to state that I do not use these with the ISY, but rather Home Assistant.  Others on the forum do use them with Polisy and the Eisy.  Hopefully they can also attest.

Also - Make sure the lock you are buying has the 700 series Zwave chip.  There ware multiple versions still available.  Z-wave plus does not necessarily mean 700 series.

Sorry for the delay.  When I first posted this, I wanted to add the lock, but my computer was having issues.  Here's the information.

The lock is a Kwikset Smartcode 916 touchscreen deadbolt.  As I said before, the front door lock is fine, as it's always in the shade (North-facing door with trees nearby).  The rear door lock's touchscreen is disintegrating due to being in the brutal sun (South-facing door, no shade whatsoever).  And I'm sure the temperature swings (extremely hot in the sun, cooling off at night) don't help. The rear door is on at least its third season in the brutal sun.

I saw one at Costco and picked it up to put in on the basement (rear) door, then liked it so much I added another one to the first door. 

That does look like a nice lock.  Is it this one?  How would I know whether it has the 700 series Zwave chip?

Amazon's version of the Utraloq Zwave

Thank you.

That is the version that I purchased.  I believe that "Z-Wave Plus Version 2" indicates that it's a 700 series chip. 

When in doubt, I go to the z-wave alliance: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/6/products?company=810

I had previously used a Schlage deadbolt on my garage entry door.  Problematic location far from the controller and the garage is lined with foil backed foam (faraday cage).  The Schlage always gave me fits.  I would periodically have to re-include the lock by bringing the ISY into the garage. 

After years of fighting with the Schlage I upgraded all of my Zwave devices to 700 series (Zooz 700 z-stick on Home Assistant).  I installed the Utraloq on the garage door and it included from that location.  No fanfare, incantations, or chants required.  It just works.

If you do want to use the geofence/remote control features, I believe you will need to purchase one of their WiFi adapters.  I do use the geofence feature - I works well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm just getting back to this.  Thank you.  I am going to buy this lock.  While Costco has a great return policy, I don't want another lock like the one I have, as I'd be putting it on the door in the sun again.  Doesn't make sense. 

I'll also probably get the geofence, as I have two kids who usually use the garage door.  They could just walk up to the door and it would open for them.

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, IndyMike said:

That is the version that I purchased.  I believe that "Z-Wave Plus Version 2" indicates that it's a 700 series chip. 

When in doubt, I go to the z-wave alliance: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/6/products?company=810

I had previously used a Schlage deadbolt on my garage entry door.  Problematic location far from the controller and the garage is lined with foil backed foam (faraday cage).  The Schlage always gave me fits.  I would periodically have to re-include the lock by bringing the ISY into the garage. 

After years of fighting with the Schlage I upgraded all of my Zwave devices to 700 series (Zooz 700 z-stick on Home Assistant).  I installed the Utraloq on the garage door and it included from that location.  No fanfare, incantations, or chants required.  It just works.

If you do want to use the geofence/remote control features, I believe you will need to purchase one of their WiFi adapters.  I do use the geofence feature - I works well. 

Curious if this is any quieter/more elegant than the schlage. After 7 years my BE469 (not the plus BE460ZP) gave up the ghost.  Was looking at the ZP upgrade, however I always hated how loud and metallic the Schlage sounded.  If I can get the Ultraloq keyed to my schlage, that sounds like a better solution especially if it adds fingerprint (its also 25% cheaper).

On 11/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, Hunter Aviator said:

Curious if this is any quieter/more elegant than the schlage. After 7 years my BE469 (not the plus BE460ZP) gave up the ghost.  Was looking at the ZP upgrade, however I always hated how loud and metallic the Schlage sounded.  If I can get the Ultraloq keyed to my schlage, that sounds like a better solution especially if it adds fingerprint (its also 25% cheaper).

I cannot say that the Ultraloq units are quieter.  I can hear my front door lock from two room's away (just as noisy as the Schlage).  To be honest, I think the noise has more to do with the door material (steel) and flooring (tile).  My lock in the garage is on a fiberglass door and is far quieter.

In terms of "elegance", that is in the eyes of the beholder.  I do like the Ultraloq.  Fingerprint sensor works great 95% of the time (unless my hands are wet - swollen) and the numeric input is easy the other 5%.  My only issue with the Schlage was that the numeric keypad was difficult to see in the sun.

I have not re-keyed my locks to the Schlage key.  Others have reported success in doing this.

IM