Zooz ZSE42 Battery Operated Leak Detector OTA Update Issue

RRalston

I have 5 Zooz ZSE42 Leak Detectors with out of date firmware. To be careful, since OTA is new, I chose one that is the least critical to test OTA with.

To start, I verified the firmware version to be 1.40, using X-ray, DH Device :

Integer  DATA devices.12.data.applicationMajor = 1 (0x00000001)
Integer  DATA devices.12.data.applicationMinor = 40 (0x00000028)

I wanted to update to v 1.50, so I downloaded "ZSE42_V01R50_US.zip" and extracted contents.

Not knowing how this process was going to work, and how the UI would handle communications issues with a battery operated device which is not always listening I plowed forward:

image.png.d1e0dcde4918a81eacfb17edee01ef88.png

image.thumb.png.0a2b1bb38f7af34097740c12244af5dc.png

image.thumb.png.2cc0db81f607b8ab5b7c21234dce0f84.png

NOTE: I did not wake the device manually during this process, as I kind of assumed things would error out if it wasn't listening.

image.thumb.png.2c68eba3caca7913e1b844c5c86b4443.png

image.thumb.png.adb801d2d5bf17bb55e54d3590199953.png

Hmmm, it finished?

image.png.18a2ce287f932b8b6d415ef6bf3c8f55.png

So that is interesting, but re-inspecting the version info via X-ray, shows it is still on 1.40. OK, this is new stuff, so let me wake it up before attempting the upgrade.

Well, that did no good, as the UI sits at "Starting upgrade..." or something similar. Never shows any fragment transfers now. Hitting the stop upgrade button doesn't really do anything and it never gets out of that mode, unless I reboot the eISY.

Contacting Zooz support, they tell me I have to keep waking it up during the upgraded process for it to complete. Well, that is pretty stupid design, but let me try that....several times. I cannot make sense out of this, and will not try to upgrade anything else until OTA is more robust.

In addition to the above, the device still appears to be woking and reporting in regularly (the automatic wake up and listen process), but it is either no longer reporting its battery level, or the Admin Console is no longer displaying the battery level, as it does for all the other 4 ZSE42 devices I have not tried to upgrade.

So I am wondering what others are seeing with OTA, in particular Zooz devices.

Thanks,

Rob

A battery operated device must be awake for it to receive a Firmware update. 

To verify the device has been updated you need to first either uninstall and reinstall the device, or right click on the device and click on Zwave | Synchronize | Update with Interview.

Then verify the firmware version using Xray | DH Command Class

Let me know if the update was successful. An update can take up to 10 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion. Apparently the device did not get upgraded in spite of what the UI said.

After performing the Synchronize | Update with Interview, the device was removed and put back but without the sub nodes. It was removed from programs.

What value does the Sychronize process have if it breaks things?

I am confused as to the steps to properly correct this now. Do I have to remove the Z-Wave device and add it again, then fix my programs?

Is that how it will always be for all OTA updates?

Hi Rob,

First off, I believe the device was successfully upgraded.  One of the interesting things about OTA firmware upgrade is that it is primarily driven by the device being upgraded.  Its something like this:

1) The ISY tells device X it wants to apply an OTA firmware upgrade, providing it with the number fragments in the upgrade (and a few other things)

2) Device X sends a message back to ISY agreeing with the upgrade

3) Device X sends a request to ISY for each fragment (possibly multiple times) and ISY sends the requested fragment to Device X

4) When Device X recognizes it has all the fragments, it assembles them into one file and applies it to itself

5) It sends out a success/fail status message to ISY (although some devices incorrectly skip this step)

At this point though, the ISY still thinks Device X is at the old version because it hasn't been interviewed since the upgrade.

Therefore, you have to either right+click | Z-Wave | Synchronize | Update with Interview (Making sure the device is awake and stays awake), or, remove the device and add it back again.

We are going to help automate this in an upcoming build to avoid any confusion and to close the loop on the firmware upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Techman said:

@Chris Jahn

@RRalston

Chris, The OP mentioned that after "update with interview", the device was removed from programs, should that be the case?

The nodes were likely recreated so the best bet is to restart IoX and they should re-appear in the programs again.  We have a feature request to fix this so that a restart is not required (wasn't possible due to memory constraints in Isy-994 but we should be able to do it in Polisy/Eisy)

12 minutes ago, Chris Jahn said:

The nodes were likely recreated so the best bet is to restart IoX and they should re-appear in the programs again.  We have a feature request to fix this so that a restart is not required (wasn't possible due to memory constraints in Isy-994 but we should be able to do it in Polisy/Eisy)

Just saw this post, so I did an IoX restart as suggested by Chris. This did not fix the nodes for the device.

Rob

44 minutes ago, RRalston said:

Just saw this post, so I did an IoX restart as suggested by Chris. This did not fix the nodes for the device.

Rob

The reboot won't create new nodes, but if the same node with same address was recreated with the same functionality being used in the programs then you should see them again in programs.  (Which may not currently be the case because as you mentioned, the interviews probably didn't succeed).