Detect loss of internet (programming question)

oskrypuch

Having issues with our internet connection, a real pain to try to sort out with the provider, but I digress. (docsis 3.1 modem develops a high level of uncorrecteds after a while, and then ceases to pass packets)

I have set up a dual-band insteon switch that I can turn OFF, and hold OFF for ten minutes, cold power cycling the modem. This seems to clear the loss of internet for a while.

My question is, is there an easy way for Polisy/IoX to detect that the internet has gone down, and trigger a program? I have a couple of weather nodes on PG3, but these still indicate a connection as they are running locally. Clearly I could detect unchanging values, but that is a bit dodgy and not 100%.

Any other clever way, perhaps interrogating some system variable?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
20 minutes ago, Techman said:

You should contact your internet service provider. The uncorrectable errors are usually due to a poor connector or a damaged cable causing signal loss. 

That is what I understand. I have had three service calls now, with improvement for a bit after each. They detected an issue at the CO, then with a connector outside the house. I expect that the cable (somewhere) is just not up to 3.1 connectivity. I had nil issues with my 3.0 modem -- but of course they will not enable it now, I should have never "upgraded"!

So, until this gets remedied (perhaps switching to fiber, which is on our street), I need something to reawaken the error overwhelmed modem from time to time. I do have a quick keypad button set to do this, and when we go away I have it run on spec every six hours. It would be more slick if the connectivity outage were detected somehow, and the power cycle triggered.

I would be even MORE slick to have a properly working internet connection! (sigh)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

You should consider stepping up an enterprise level open source firewall, which can monitor a WAN connection and failover to a cellular backup if you are having so much trouble with your current provider, and/or switch providers.  

https://pfsense.org runs on almost any x86_64 hardware, including virtualized.  Orders of magnitude more capable and flexible than cheap consumer [redacted] 

image.thumb.png.279c63f9ce44e21a186a304934bc43b3.png

3 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

My question is, is there an easy way for Polisy/IoX to detect that the internet has gone down, and trigger a program? I have a couple of weather nodes on PG3, but these still indicate a connection as they are running locally. Clearly I could detect unchanging values, but that is a bit dodgy and not 100%.

You can use the Ping node server to Ping a site like Google and a program can run when it times out.

A number of years ago I had the same issue with recurring loss of connectivity with my Centruy Link DSL connection/modem due to CL's failing copper infrastructure.  The only other option was Comcast but for the same reliability issues neighbors were having and also that they would not allow residential customers a static IP (CL did allow for this) and quite frankly for more reasons than I can explain, it was not an option and was holding out for fiber which was on the adjacent block but unfortunately not mine and no commitment to be bringing it to mine!  I finally gave up and went with a local point-to-point wireless internet provider that came available to the area and have never looked back as have been extremely happy, not to mention a local person that I can speak to if/when there is an issue.  I digress, but during my stint with CL and the ongoing issues, I found a unique device that would intermittently ping sites to confirm connectivity and then would power cycle the attached outlet at the outage time interval you set to do so following drop-out and then come back on after the time you programmed it to remain off.  I traveled a lot for work so this worked great and got me through that time with an inferior internet provider.  They even had a portal/service you could set up to notify you when internet was lost and then again restored.  It has been quite a few years so I can see if I can find out the info for this device and let you know.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, n_sievers said:

A number of years ago I had the same issue with recurring loss of connectivity with my Centruy Link DSL connection/modem due to CL's failing copper infrastructure.  The only other option was Comcast but for the same reliability issues neighbors were having and also that they would not allow residential customers a static IP (CL did allow for this) and quite frankly for more reasons than I can explain, it was not an option and was holding out for fiber which was on the adjacent block but unfortunately not mine and no commitment to be bringing it to mine!  I finally gave up and went with a local point-to-point wireless internet provider that came available to the area and have never looked back as have been extremely happy, not to mention a local person that I can speak to if/when there is an issue.  I digress, but during my stint with CL and the ongoing issues, I found a unique device that would intermittently ping sites to confirm connectivity and then would power cycle the attached outlet at the outage time interval you set to do so following drop-out and then come back on after the time you programmed it to remain off.  I traveled a lot for work so this worked great and got me through that time with an inferior internet provider.  They even had a portal/service you could set up to notify you when internet was lost and then again restored.  It has been quite a few years so I can see if I can find out the info for this device and let you know.

I believe this is the device:

http://resetplug.com

A quick Amazon search came up with this option as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Connect-Monitors-Connectivity-Required-Necessary/dp/B07MCRQPCS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=wifi+reset+plug&qid=1697229665&sr=8-5

• Like 1