ISY994 claims not to be found, connection still possible

jdale

When I start the ISY interface in Windows from start.jnlp, I get a message "Error: Not Found" but it appears directly over the list showing my ISY. If I click OK, I get a waiting spinner and then the "Not Found" message appears again. If I don't wait for that, I can select my ISY and connect (LAN) as normal, and log in as normal, but then I get a huge pile of "Failed Communicating With" warnings for various devices. I'm still able to control some devices although it seems a bit erratic.

My guess is that the Insteon communication issues are because of a computer that moved closer to the ISY (although it's behind a filter), but that doesn't explain the "Error: Not Found" issue. Any suggestions? I'm currently on 5.3.4 (firmware and UI).

1 hour ago, jdale said:

I get a message "Error: Not Found" but it appears directly over the list showing my ISY. If I click OK, I get a waiting spinner and then the "Not Found" message appears again.

This is a known issue with the start.jnlp file that had some issues released a few months ago. 

Resolution:

• Clear Java Cache (checking all three boxes)
  • Delete any start.jnlp or admin.jnlp files on your computer
  • Download fresh copy of start.jnlp from UDI website (or wiki or forum announcement post) 
  • Run start.jnlp

Should be fixed for that "Not Found" issue.

As for not being able to control devices it shouldn't matter if a computer is "closer" to the ISY. What do you mean "it's behind a filter"? 

Erratic control of devices seems that noise has been introduced to the system. Doesn't always mean a "new" device was added as many have found that even a failing power supply or wall-wart of another device has added noise. 

For one that is giving you issues open admin console and start the event viewer. Set it to "Level 3". Try controlling the device through admin console and see what events happen. Then physically control the device and review the event viewer. It's probably easier to save to a text file or copy to clipboard and paste to a text file so you don't have to keep having it scroll on other activity.

Review the wiki troubleshooting steps for noise:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON_Signal_/_Noise_Troubleshooting

Fix issue 1 ("not found") first. If still having 2nd issue look for noise issues. Report back if you can give better description of the issues or the other error messages you get popping up.

• Like 1

Thanks, that solved the "not found" error.

Regarding noise, the PLM plugs into an outlet, and there is also a noise filter plugged into that same outlet. A power strip is plugged into that noise filter and the computer is plugged into that power strip. That is what I mean by the computer being closer. I have not had a chance to unplug it and see if things go back to normal.

1 hour ago, jdale said:

A power strip is plugged into that noise filter and the computer is plugged into that power strip. That is what I mean by the computer being closer.

Shouldn't impact it, but I've never tried a filter plugged into the same outlet as a PLM. I would unplug everything from the other part of the outlet the PLM is connected to and see if you still have issues. 

If still having issues it could be a failing PLM. How old is the PLM?

I have a power strip that has both a noise and surge suppression feature. The noise suppression is just a AC rated capacitor across the power line. It absorbs both Insteon and x10 power line signals as noise. I ended up opening it up and removing the capacitor. Though it probably would not effect dual band devices as much. As they also have RF.

In my setup. I have a 10A FilterLinc with my UPS in the filtered outlet and the PLM in the pass through outlet on the front of it.