Going Simple on Notifications to Start

Kentinada
Go to solution Solved by Kentinada,

So I am taking a step back to try to simplify and understand notifications better.  I have purchased the Notifications Node Server and installed it - I think.  See 1st screen shot.  I also have the Push Node Server installed (2nd screenshot) and purchased the $15 Pushover license.  With these 2 Node Servers installed and running, I can create through the Admin console Configuration/Networking/Network Resources various message definitions I can trigger either through UD Mobile or through Admin console programs. 

The example program has 2 different modes of notifying me for the same event.   The first uses a Network Resource I defined by copying one of the Example Push Notifications.   The 2nd notification in the code uses the Push controller and the Porch Motion device I created in the configuration section of the Push Node Server.  Both do the same thing but do it in different manners. Is one preferred over the other?  The both require the Notifications and Push Node servers.  I really am trying to understand this communication environment and how to use it correctly.  

Thanks for any comments/suggestions/feedback. I'm sure there will be follow-on questions. :)

Screenshot2023-12-17at1_06_03PM.thumb.png.8d0cb0fe008534ad50cfa9690d5ca2f1.png

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 12.46.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 12.55.54 PM.png

One thing to think about in simplifying is; which plugin (node server) are you going to use? There are 2 completely separate and unrelated plugins that can send notifications to pushover and you reference and appear to have them both, but using only one in your program sample ..push

1. Notifications plugin - this one is more "Swiss army knife". It's more flexible, but a little more learning curve IMO. Its the one I use

Note: when you use the "resource" example in your program, you're not using the notifications plugin.. see my screen shot at the end of your previous thread for how a "notifcations" plugin statement looks

2. Push plugin. This one does pushover specifically. When your program statements say "push" and not "notification", you are using the push plugin

Summary, 2 plugins are creating confusion.  Pick one and uninstall the other. I'd stay high level now and pick the plugin based on what you want to do

With the notifications pluginI can do what i want fairly easily

1. to use pushover
  2. Use the pushover "app" feature which lets me put my notifications in folders
    1. Operations - simple daily reports, no sound notification, just updates I can review when I want to.  When did the dusk sensor work, sump pump cycles, hvac vent cycles beyond normal furnace cycles,....
    2. Warnings - Battery alerts, filter alerts, something like the sump pump operating outside of its normal range. Plugins or devices like thermostat going off line.
    3. emergency - water on a floor, sump depth too high
  3. substitute ISY variables in my messages so that they are quantitative and meaningful to think about and compare to previous days

Here's an example, the pushover folders are on the left, and individual messages in the folders are to the right

image.thumb.png.ac343e64baab2a0820207afa6e2587ec.png

Maybe you just want to send simple fixed messages. Based on a response I saw to one of your previous threads, someone showed a screen shot of push doing just that. If that's all you want, all you'll ever want, .. push plugin is the way to go, and remove the notifications plugin

Or, If you think you'll want more in the future like I describe, and others do much more than I do with the 'notifications' plugin, you'll want to start there

Edited by paulbates
  • Like 1

@paulbates thanks for the reply.  I don't want to do much with notifications except simple, small alerts like "Garage Door Closed" or "User Left Geofence".   That kind of thing.  So with that in mind, I have deleted both node servers and only reinstalled the Notification node server which I think will suffice.  

One thing that confused me though was in the Network Resources definitions which have the 3 templates: Push; Push with Substitution; and Push Notification with Sound.  Those are part of the Notification Node Server but the code 1st line says "POST /api/push/notification/send HTTP/1.1".   This 'push' in this statement has nothing to do with pushover does it?  

I have defined 2 test messages (1st screen shot) in the Configuration section of the Notification (paid version) Node Server. They both show up in the Admin Console Message dropdown (2nd screen shot) but I'm clearly lacking something in the definition because when I press Send Message from the Admin Console regardless of choosing Test or Test2, I get "Unknown Undefined message 0" in UD Mobile Notifications.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 2.52.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 2.49.35 PM.png