Garage door opener and IOlinc?

keribi

I wish to control my garage door with a IOlinc. Is it safe to connect the N.O. contacts on the IOlinc across the 2 wires on the wall mounted console of the garage door opener? Does anyone know of most openers want to see a simple momentary contact closure to operate the door? Most of the wall mounted control consoles have several functions other than just opening and closing the door!

It's tough to speak for all garage door openers. But, I'd start by taking a multimeter and check for continuity across the two terminals on the opener. You should show an open circuit (i.e. very high resistance, or no buzzing from meter). Now press the switch on the wall and hold it for a second, the meter should now show very low resistance (or start buzzing). If this is the case, I'd say it's safe to hook it up the way you described. If not, I'd do some more investigating...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get this to work – using both the IOlinc and the wall mounted garage door opener? I am using a LiftMaster 3280 garage door opener and the 2450 v.36 IOlinc. I’ve not been able to get them both to work when all 4 wires exist together. The IOlinc will work when they are both wired but it appears to be shorting out the Liftmaster. I’d like to keep both for both automation/status and convenience. I’ve tried several wiring combinations all unsuccessful. I followed the instructions in the IOlinc doc to the letter. Any help is much appreciated.

Hello dgruehn,

I am not familiar with LiftMaster but this configuration has worked for many different installations.

The first thing you have to figure out is the behavior of your current garage door switch:

1. Is it toggle then you should use Latching

2. If not, then you should use Momentary A or B

3. If not latching and the outcome depends on whether or not the door is already open, then you should probably use Momentary C and then use the IOLinc's sensor as the input (to know whether or not your garage door is open)

I am so very sorry I cannot be more specific.

With kind regards,

Michel

Through a lot of trial and error here’s what I’ve been able to figure out. As long as the IOLinc relay stays on the ON status the wall garage door opener does not short and functions correctly. With the relay in ON status, if I execute an ON or Fast ON it will close/open the door, but it changes the IOLinc to an OFF status. Is there a way to trip the IOLinc but leave it in an ON status? At the rate I’m testing this sucker I’m going to burn out the garage door’s motor…

It reads as though you have connected the IOLinc in series with the wall switch rather than in parallel. Please check your wiring again.

The wall switch should be always connected and the IOLinc should be always connected to the same two terminals on the opener.

Rand

Archived