Help with Insteon Failure

bob123

Two days ago, I noticed my Insteon leak detectors (20 of them) were not reporting heartbeats. I had just updated and rebooted the polisy so thought it was just a startup thing. 

Today I realized that they were not communicating at all - button pushes blinked the green light, but no communication back (no events on the event console).  I investigated further and all of my Insteon hardwired devices also had only one-way communication- from the polisy to the device, nothing from devices to the polisy.  

I can control devices perfectly from the console, but turning a dimmer on or off does not send any events to the event log.  So no status updates. Insteon scenes between devices still works fine, and programs controlling devices are fine for the most part, which was why I didn’t notice it on hardwired devices. 

power cycling the PLM did not help.  Is this the sign of PLM failure?  

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It certainly could be... how old is the PLM?

You can try Restore PLM from the main file menu. You will want to click the battery button at the end of the string of icons on the top of IOX before restoring, so that battery devices (that many) are skipped. Then gather the battery devices and prepare to do them in order when completing it,

If the above works, and its an older PLM,  I'd get one on order.. that fix will likely not last long, and continue to get worse

Edited by paulbates

The first thing to do is to determine whether the link table in the device is correct and the second step to verify the link table in the PLM.

1. So in the admin console, go to one of the devices, using the right mouse button, selected Diagnostics, Show Device Links Table. You should see A2 and E2 links. Click on COMPARE at the bottom of the window and see if the link table matches what is expected. If not, do Restore Device

2. If the problem is in the PLM. Start with Tools - Diagnostics - Show PLM Links table and show ISY Links table

Check back and report what you found and someone will give next steps. You may need to do a restore PLM.

Andy

Thanks for the quick responses.  I did the diagnostics on several devices.

- On several wall switches I samples, the link tables had a single line of differences in the link tables.  I ran a device restore and they then worked properly giving status feedback to the polisy.

- On several other wall switches, the link tables were identical, but did not feed status to the polisy.  I ran the device restore and they worked properly.

- On the battery powered leak sensors, the leak tables were identical ( i did notice there where no A2 entries).  I ran a device restore, and they worked properly.

So basically, no devices will feed back status without a restore.  Is not dependent on link tables being identical.

To run device restore on all my devices sounds one at a time sounds very painful (> 100 devices).  Is there a way to do all devices at once?

What could cause this to happen all of a sudden?  The polisy upgrade 2 days ago I think only updated a few PG3 packages and possibly PGx.

Is it worth just running a PLM restore?  My PLM is 8.5 years old but has been rock solid.  I have a new one in a box that could just restore to and then try it - is there any risk in that.

Thanks

Edited by bob123

Use Restore PLM from the file menu as I wrote above, but click the battery button so it does all the wired devices first.

Then gather all of the wireless devices and turn the battery icon off. Restore them manually

How old is the PLM? If its older, this is a temporary bandaid fix.

Edited by paulbates

I decided that if the PLM was over 8 years old and could possibly be heading for failure, it was a better move to use the new backup PLM I had.  The restore took a few hours between the battery devices and a few stubborn devices that refused to communicate.

I did notice  few things

- there is no option to exclude battery devices during the plm restore.  This leads to endless loops of rewrites and retries and failures as it cannot contact them. 

- The system continuously tries to write to  every unrestored battery device when you do any device related action from console.

- it Is best to gather all the leak detectors, set them all to blink and then do a restore on any one of them which will sequence through all of them at once.

But all is good - thanks all for the assistance.