Not seeing X10 in event viewer

Go to solution Solved by glacier991,

• Solution

Great news! I can see the X10 commands, and more importantly use them coming in.

Some background...even after a lot of my devices were not X10 "friendly", I could use Isy as a translator. Ex. If I wanted to turn on an attic fan, I could use an X10 remote to send, say an F1 command, Isy would see it on the power line thanks to an X10 transceiver, and a program would see " Receive X10 F1 ON" and turn on the Z wave controlled fan.

This was more useful in the pre-Alexa days, but useful none the less - out of voice range from an Alexa device, or at a time and place where speaking would not be desired (Ex. Middle of the night in bed). insteon made some pretty cool desktop keypad devices, backlit even which were perfect.

So my inability to receive and process X10 signals emanating outside eisy itself kind of eliminated that.... Nope.

I read about a guy who majorly solved his X10 issues when he filtered his battery powered backup power supply. I did some current online search and found out what a noisy device they were on the powerline! This surprised me...stay with me..

I recently completed a 6kw backup power supply for my house,  complete with necessary transfer switching. I had read how the harmonics from a generator might not be healthy for sensitive electronics. So I bought 3 relatively inexpensive UPS devices as they reportedly effectively manage the harmonics issues. (In exchange for creating other issues!)

I have 2 installed. I just happened to have a couple of plug in powerline filters, so, I decided to check and give 'er a try. BINGO! I now am seeing ALL X10 signals on the event viewer and my X10 performance is majority improved.

My brother in law lives next door in our rural area and walks his dogs at night. If I can get my VGL receiver up and running I plan to give him a key fob X10 transmitter to turn area lighting on and off as needed!

My 2nd success story today!

Edited by glacier991
Spell check -typo

Good to see you found the problem and a way to correct it.

Also shows the new PLM also still will receive X10.

Coming from an X10 start. Power line noise, phase coupling and signal suckers. Was a common issue for us.

• Like 1

I installed the WGL receiver (V572) with a home brew antenna today in the attic. It puts the received signal on the powerline, and I am using using a Jeff Volpe Powered up version of the old X-10 powerline devices to make that powerline connection. Nice thing is the WGL receives all X-10 codes. (unlike the X-10 receivers that have to be set to a specific house code)

Now I can stand 75 feet away from the house and eisy will respond to an X-10 command from a little key fob controller!

Edited by glacier991

I was looking online and saw that there are no more of these. Using the XTB 523 in the attic with the V572, and my XTB-RII in in the basement at the circuit breaker box there it has its own dedicated breaker. Not sure what I will/would use its unused 523 port for now.

I am relieved to hear you solved your X10 problem! I still use my Honeywell Vista 128 alarm (not Turbo, the bp enhanced) that generates a myriad of X-10 event commands for the ISY to act upon. I love the new Honeywell Resideo alarm consoles they physically match a 3 gang Insteon touchpad array pretty well on the wall (see photo). I cannot stand the look of the Elk consoles if they would wise up I would go that direction.  It's not the money for the upgrade it is the fear of something not working when/if I move to the eisy.  Because I have an all-house-codes IR543 IR to X10 console I still use that for all my URC remotes (that report to the ISY via flasher from a URC RF receiver) to control lighting also.  It's not clear to me the eisy even has an IR receive function but only in my worst nightmares would it not see X10 commands to act upon!  I was never able to successfully implement the limited ISY ir code library and (believe it or not) the X10 IR codes via the URC remotes (all house codes x 16 = approx 256 ir codes for the ISY) work flawlessly for scene and macro activations.

It's probably another thread somewhere, how are you getting IR commands to the eisy?

View recent photos.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg