Change status of Keypad Button

I'm a former Insteon/ISY user of about 10 years that is starting all over again with a new install.  I know I used to know how to do this, but can't figure it out.  I have a scene with a Keypad button and two switches.  However, I don't always use both of those devices at the same time.  When they are both turned on individually, how do I get the Keypad button to reflect that?

Master Bath - [ID 0006][Parent 0001]

If
        'Master Bath Switch 2' Status is 100%
    And 'Master Bath Switch 1' Status is 100%

Then
        In 'Master Toilet' Set 'Master Bath - Vanity 1 / Master Bath - Keypad' To On

Else
        In 'Master Toilet' Set 'Master Bath - Vanity 1 / Master Bath - Keypad' To Off

If all 3 devices are in a scene as controllers,  then all 3 will all turn on when one of them is turned on.

You'll have to create a 2nd scene with a different keypad button in order for your program to work

Edited by Techman

I should have explained the setup a little better.

Master Bath Switch 1 and Master Bath Switch 2 are in the scene as responders.  Master Bath - Keypad is the keypad button and is a controller.

The scene works fine when the Keypad is pressed.  Both switches (and the keypad button) turn on or off as they are supposed to.

I don't always use Switch 1 and 2 together though, so when I do turn them both on locally (independently), I want the keypad button to turn on as well.  So that it knows that both switches are on and if I press the keypad button it will turn them off (without having to press it twice).

You'll need to update the status of the scene with programs that watch the status of switches one and two. If either is ON then the program would turn on the scene that the keypad is in as well. The else of each program can be setup to turn things off.

In the program you posted just change the Then from AND to OR. So if switch one is 100% OR switch 2 is 100%

Edited by kzboray
Just now, kzboray said:

You'll need to update the status of the scene with programs that watch the status of switches one and two. If either is ON then the program would turn on the scene that the keypad is in as well. The else of each program can be setup to turn things off.

That is what I was attempting to do (see program in first post).  I am just not sure I set up the program correctly.

8 minutes ago, tpolito said:

No, switch 1 and switch 2 are not controllers, they are only responders.  They do not turn each other on.  That is working properly.

Have the program turn on the scene not the KPL button

Not sure \what you mean by "find the P{M link table"

The program code leaves a little bit of info out.  For the "Then" statement, I chose Adjust Scene, selected that Scene in both Scene and Controller.  Then there is a "Set" field which I selected the button and picked "Insteon" On.

No, I didn't see the edit before I responded.  However, I do only want the keypad button to light up if BOTH are on.  In other words they are all part of a scene controlled by the Keypad.  So only if they both turn on, I want the keypad to reflect the status on the scene. 

I was way too far into it last night that I was making everything complicated.  Had to take a step back and start over today.  I knew I needed to turn the scene on, but was trying to "Adjust Scene" instead of just turning the scene on, which was my problem.  Changed to "then" to turn on the scene and the "else" to turn off the scene.  That created a new problem.  If the scene was off and i turned on Switch 1 or Switch 2, the program would run the Else statement and immediately turn off the scene, including both switches.  I don't know if this is the most efficient way to do it, but to get it to work...  After going through circles writing multiple programs, I ended up back with one program.

If Switch 1 status is 100% AND Switch 2 status is 100%

Then turn on the scene which also turns on the Keypad button.

//For the Else statement, I created a new scene with only the Keypad button in it as a responder//

Else turn off the scene with only the button in it.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2024 at 3:16 PM, tpolito said:

I was way too far into it last night that I was making everything complicated.  Had to take a step back and start over today.  I knew I needed to turn the scene on, but was trying to "Adjust Scene" instead of just turning the scene on, which was my problem.  Changed to "then" to turn on the scene and the "else" to turn off the scene.  That created a new problem.  If the scene was off and i turned on Switch 1 or Switch 2, the program would run the Else statement and immediately turn off the scene, including both switches.  I don't know if this is the most efficient way to do it, but to get it to work...  After going through circles writing multiple programs, I ended up back with one program.

If Switch 1 status is 100% AND Switch 2 status is 100%

Then turn on the scene which also turns on the Keypad button.

//For the Else statement, I created a new scene with only the Keypad button in it as a responder//

Else turn off the scene with only the button in it.

I had the same dilemma, and I ended up with the exact same solution as you. I literally just came here to check to see if there was a better way of doing it when I stumbled upon this thread.

I have a scene called "All Kitchen Lights" that controls the kitchen lights, foyer lights, and island lights. The controller for the scene is a keypad button, and just like you, I only wanted the button to light up when all three sets of lights were on. The only way I could come up with for accomplishing this was to create a new scene with only the keypad button in it, and then trigger that scene from a program:

All Kitchen Lights Button Monitor - [ID 000B][Parent 0001]

If
        'Main Floor / Kitchen Lights #1' Status is 100%
    And 'Main Floor / Foyer Lights #1' Status is 100%
    And 'Main Floor / Island Lights' Status is 100%

Then
        Set 'Main Floor / All Kitchen Lights' On

Else
        Set 'Main Floor / Keypad (B) Status Control' Off

It works like a charm! I guess great minds think alike!

Edited by gweempose