Not Seeing Shades

Go to solution Solved by sjenkins,

was this your scene? (scroll to the right)

2 matches for "need to delete node" in buffer: debug.log<hunterdouglas_3-4-2024_21920_PM>
 560493:2024-03-04 14:12:34,316 Thread-716878 udi_interface      INFO     Controller:discover: need to delete node scene40299
 562064:2024-03-04 14:14:35,797 Command    udi_interface      INFO     Controller:discover: need to delete node scene40299

unfortunately in my testing I commented out:

for node in nodes_get:
            if node not in nodes_new:
                LOGGER.info(f"need to delete node {node}")
                # self.poly.delNode(node)

glass-half-full the logic works.

here is the movement of your Foyer, after sorting your log data.

I am assuming that it starts open with posKind1 using #1, 

then when its closed it goes to using #3 and the rest of them are you moving the tilt around.

{'posKind1': 1, 'position1': 0},
{'posKind1': 3, 'position1': 30}
{'posKind1': 3, 'position1': 50}
{'posKind1': 3, 'position1': 30}
{'posKind1': 3, 'position1': 50}
{'posKind1': 3, 'position1': 0},
{'posKind1': 3, 'position1': 0},

@GTench give tilt a try.

I did it basic first.

Let me know what happens when Tilt command is given when up or when Open command is given when Tilt is not zero.  The Hunter Douglas gateway may take care of it or may just not move.  Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

@sjenkinsthanks... I will give it a try later today. Sorry for the late reply. We were away last week at Disney World with the grand kids. It was fun but I am exhausted... not as young as I used to be

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, GTench said:

@sjenkinsthanks... I will give it a try later today. Sorry for the late reply. We were away last week at Disney World with the grand kids. It was fun but I am exhausted... not as young as I used to be

no worries.  Heading to florida next week.  As you test the tilt stuff, keep an eye on it after a few days.  I had a couple times where it seemed to go unresponsive after running for a while & needed a restart.  Let me know if you see that.  I am tracking it down now.

@sjenkinsthanks for this. OK, I tested the tilt function. I set it at 40% and clicked tilt open. The Tilt field which was at 0 stayed at 0 and the shades did not tilt. I then clicked tilt closed but again nothing happened. I then activated a tilt scene and the shades tilted as expected and the tilt field updated to 30%. I then clicked close and the tilt closed but the tilt field did not update. I attached the log file. Hope tis helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

image.thumb.png.7b3ba9735c1787aa30612f15cf002696.png

hunterdouglas_3-18-2024_33337_PM.zip

@GTench Delete and reinstall the plugin & then try the tilt open & close, I had G2 unable to use those.

Also, by your text you set the tilt at a number then hit tilt open or close ; you should enter the number then hit set shade position, just like if you change the primary / secondary.  Either way , please try that again now.  I made a change in it too.

thanks for the help.

@sjenkinsMostly good...thanks. Here are my tests in the sequence that I did them:

SSP = Set Shade Position button; 

TO = tilt open button;

TC = tilt close button.

40+SSP works, 10+SSP works, 90+SSP fails, 50+SSP fails, TO did nothing, TC worked - closed tilt,

49+TO failed and AC field stayed at 50, 49+SSP works, 15+SSP works, 50+SSP fails, 20+SSP fails,

TC works, 49+SSP works, 14+SSP works.

Looks like 49 is the largest tilt factor that works which I believe makes sense (0 to 49 are 50 positions) as that is the 90 degree position for the shade. I also noticed that when the AC first came up the tilt field was blank but did update when using SSP button. If a tilt value greater than 49 is entered it seems to lock out SSP until TC is used. Not sure what TO does - maybe only applies to G3?

image.thumb.png.711cdf5e0833569917b1ee8c072d65e8.png

hunterdouglas_3-19-2024_103333_AM.zip

Thanks so much ; very helpful testing rigour.

ok, makes sense.  I will limit tilt according to your tests for 90 degree shades

Tilt Open is not working as it sends a 50 to the tilt parameter

Interesting though that the AC shows a 50 ; might be a rounding up as the numbers are really 0 - 65535 / 2 or 32767.5. I am currently rounding up & will change that to truncate and we will retest with both 49 and 50.

The controller must lock-up or get confused for a bit when the > 49 is sent.

Can you test what happens when you send a tilt when the shade is not at the bottom? I don't limit this right now.

This blank field for tilt is because I didn't get a number from the controller, I could assume one of zero based on the capabilities of the shade or just wait until one comes through.  Also possible to have a tilt and no Primary if it is at bottom.  I'll take a look.  Good observation.  Comes from G2 using the same parameter for both values.

also, I am talking to the plug-in "gods" about an issue I am having somewhere after running for 5 hours or so ; basically it crashes and the logs don't point to anything actionable in my plugin.  

Requires a reset of the plugin; more to come.  So if you see the plugin unresponsive after a day ; do a reset.  Not a good situation, its my number one priority to get fixed obviously but its a very long debug loop.

I think I have now officially spent more time on G2 than G3 development.  lol, what do they say about well laid plans?

ok @GTench made the updates.  don't forget to delete and reinstall.

please test 49 first then 50 ; I am hoping 50 will work as I changed the round-up to truncate.

if you enter anything larger than 50 on a 90degree blind it will change to 50.

the black tilt should be a zero for tilt capable blinds

tilt open will work if 50 does & will not if it doesn't (I will back off to 49 then)

Thanks again for the testing help!!

Edited by sjenkins
updates made

@sjenkinsTo test the initialization process, I left the shade at 14% tilt then deleted your plugin and reinstalled it. The tilt field in the AC showed 14% then after the reinstall; so, I am guessing if the tilt is zero at initialization that is when the AC tilt field is blank but primary is showing 100 even though shade is closed. I set the tilt to 0 and that worked but I cannot set the shade opening now. I tried to set it at 10% but no response. I clicked close and tilt close and tried again to set it at 10% but no response.

Just to clarify, before when I set tilt to 49, 49 displayed in the AC. It seems that anything higher locks things up

image.thumb.png.b7cb51657cccfb15635b5c2d54ea16d1.png

hunterdouglas_3-19-2024_125722_PM.zip

Posted (edited)

@sjenkinsI think you posted this as I was writing my reply. 49 works OK. I don't think there is a rounding problem. 50 did not work before nor did anything over 49

Edited by GTench

@GTench ok dialed open back to 49 and limited inputs to 49 for 90 degree blinds (there are two types).

give'er another run.  See if tilt-open, & tilt-close work & the angle inputs work.

What I was also curious of if the blind was half down or so and you entered a tilt angle ; what happens?

Does the G2 ignore, lock-up, go down then tilt, or fall off the wall?  :) 

Well that's not good.  Yes shade opening should take priority.  At one point I was going to set up a sequence for it.  I will take a look what I broke and get back here.  Likely something silly.

Btw: :  the gods got back to me.  They are pushing an update to the interface library, so the good news is it's not my fault, the bad news is the fix will come later this week.  Means the plugin crashes after about 5-10hrs of running.

@sjenkinsAh yes... the joys of programming. On the plus side your plugin still works ok on the shades that do not have tilt capability...just tested that.

Nice to know the "gods" got a fix for you

@sjenkinsGetting there. Tilt now working but still cannot raise or lower primary shade. Here are my test results:

Upon initialization the AC shows primary as 100 even though shade is closed. Tilt selection still goes up to 100 instead of 49. SSP for primary to 30 did not work; primary stayed at 100 in AC. SSP for tilt to 20 worked. Tilt closed worked. Tilt open worked with AC showing 49. Tilt closed worked again with AC showing 0. Tried SSP with primary at 22 and tilt at 0 but did not work; shade stayed closed with AC showing primary at 100. SSP with primary at 22 and tilt at 20; Shade tilted to 20, AC showed tilt at 20, AC still shows primary at 100

hunterdouglas_3-21-2024_92439_AM.zip

ok.  balancing the constraints is the issue here.  I have really tried to avoid the need a separate shade node type for each capability of shade.  So it means the tilt selection will allow you to choose up to 100 even when on a 90 degree shade will only accept up to 49 (>49 will be changed to 49) when the SSP is pressed

I am not aware of how to change this range select on the fly when I know the capability.

fyi, tilt close is 0 and tilt open is 49, 100 is tilt close the other way on a 180 blind.

the primary at 100 when the shade is closed is a mistake on my part.  The number is hard wired when there is only tilt data available ; it should be zero.  FIXED

the primary not working I will have to fix by either making it have priority when its number is different than current value or having a button for each of primary, secondary, tilt.  Will take another run at the former before falling back to the three button solution

finally, It looks like the update "from the gods" has worked.  No crashes last night.

Will likely get another version out tonight then I might be spotty for a week due to kids spring break.

thanks again for the help here ; I do hope that I am not wearing your patience too thin.

Edited by sjenkins
1 hour ago, sjenkins said:

I do hope that I am not wearing your patience too thin.

@sjenkinsNo, Not at all. I am enjoying this. Just glad you are willing to keep at it. I have 8 shades and look foreword to making use of your plugin

leaving tilt at 1 to 100 is fine by me. 

I noticed that I cannot set primary value with SSP for both shades that have tilt capability and shades that don't. In other words only tilt is working now with the latest version.

How about this... if both tilt and primary have a non zero value and SSP is clicked, can you issue a close tilt followed by the primary value (primary has priority) for G2 only. The tiltable shades will not open if they are in a tilt position.

If only tilt is requested can you issue a close shade command prior to the tilt command to make sure the shade is closed.

If the shades are open and a tilt is requested, they must be first closed before the tilt will work. This seems to be what the cell phone app does

So to summarize, for G2 shades with tilt, can you issue a close shade command prior to issuing a tilt command; and can you issue a close tilt command before issuing a SSP primary shade open/close command

and don't worry about the time... kids take priority

@sjenkins On second thought, I think my suggestion is getting too convoluted. How about if there are both tilt and primary entries and SSP is clicked just issue the primary value. If the shades are tilted, it will just fail. If they are not tilted it will work.

Leave it up to user/me to make sure the tiltable shades are in the correct position/tilt before clicking SSP. I can also look after this in any program. It seems kind of messy to have this logic put into your plugin. At any rate I will leave it up to you...just my suggestion

• Like 1
  • Solution

@GTench I put out a new version to consolidate all our changes plus I think I have cracked a better way to define set shade position.  You can have more than one uom in an editor file so a False means don't bother which a number means you want a change.  Check it out.  Make sure to either hit the update profile button or restart your admin console after the update.

As stated in the notes I think I know how to better refine the shade node based on capabilities without having 20 different node types.  Basic structure programming but I got put off by how the ISY talks to the nodes.  The experts helped me here.

Lets start a new thread if you don't mind -  this one is beyond it usefulness & I don't like the title :)  

I'm going to close it solved but please start a new one with feedback either in the announcement of 0.1.5 or a new one.

Thanks again!