REST messages time out & long BUSY system status

I use the ISY REST interface to set variables about 30 times per hour. This REST call times out (after 5 sec) several times per day.

I subscribe to the ISY events and monitor the 'system status' (i.e. busy/not busy). That shows me 40 times per day, the ISY is 'busy' for more than 5 sec. Of these 40 times, 4 were even 1 min long.

What I see is both events are correlated. REST message timeout when the ISY is busy.

I have an EISY and a POLISY and it happens on both of them. Neither of them is overloaded, I actually have very few programs.

My questions:

- Why is the ISY busy for so long?

- Why is the ISY seemingly single-threaded?

- Is there anything I can do to avoid this situation (besides setting the REST timeout to 5 min or so)?

Thanks,

Bert

The first thing to check is if this is a connection or read timeout.  I've seen long connection times when multiple family members are streaming which is network related, not eisy related. 

Assuming read timeout:

Not single threaded, but to maintain thread safe operations most software queues some request to a single thread.  For example a program triggering notifications with variable substitution, we don't want the variable to change during substitutions. 

Busy can happen for many reason, such as large data queue when starting a new local subscription.  Portal (remote subscription) has a single socket so it will request all values (rest) when a new client connects as it shares a subscription amongst clients.

IMO a 30 second timeout local, 120 remote should be sufficient for both connection and read.