New Elk 7" Touchscreen

wmcneil

I see that Elk has a new 7" Touchscreen (7TS) that is advertised to become available very soon. It is advertised to support both M1 and the new Elk Alarm Engine line of controls, is advertised to connect via WiFi, and is advertised to also have a optional PoE adapter.  So it sounds like the 7TS comes with a WiFi adapter. The 7TS advertises that for M1 systems, the "touchscreen application introduces users to a fresh and modern interface for M1 systems".

I'm getting ready to do a new install in my next house. This touchscreen sounds interesting, potentially a more user friendly (spouse-friendly?) interface than the existing keypads? Perhaps no changes would be needed to the existing Elk node server to support the 7TS for the existing M1 keyboard features? Maybe the 7TS might bring a new feature or function that would be a candidate to add to the node server?

• 1 month later...

The 7TS touchscreen is now available, and Elk has a Reference Guide for it on their website. The questions that I have are (Note that Elk does not support consumers directly, so I can't just ask them):

• Can a M1 install can be done using only a M1XEP and ElkRP, with no physical keypad present?
  • Does the 7TS support a M1 system which has no physical keypad installed?
  • @Jimbo.Automates, does the Elk nodeserver currently require at least one physical keypad be present?

I'm doing a new install soon, and a single 7TS touchscreen would be sufficient for the house I am installing it in. If at least one physical keypad is required, I'll install one, but if not, I can save the money and just use a 7TS. Here is some related information from the 7TS Reference Guide:

It is clear that you can not use the 7TS to configure a M1. From the 7TS Reference Guide: "The M1 app on the ELK-7TS provides a clean modern user interface for controlling an M1 system. It is not designed or intended for M1 system programming or configuration."

The 7TS reference manual on page 9 shows a picture of the "Security page". The picture shows a pull down box labeled "Keypad". The text says that "Keypad Selector: This drop down box allows you to change which keypad you are viewing, if multiple keypads exist in the system."

Here is some info on what the choices are for providing network and power for the 7TS: The 7TS does not connect to an M1 system via the RS485 bus, rather it connects via a M1XEP. The 7TS can connect to wifi, or wired ethernet w/out POE, or wired ethernet with POE. If using WIFI, or wired ethernet w/out POE, a 12-14VDC 1.5amp power supply is also required(purchased separately). If using wired ethernet w/out POE, a POE47TS ethernet adapter and a DC supply are also required(both purchased separately). If using wired ethernet with POE, a POE47TS POE splitter is also required(purchased separately).

17 hours ago, wmcneil said:

The 7TS reference manual on page 9 shows a picture of the "Security page". The picture shows a pull down box labeled "Keypad". The text says that "Keypad Selector: This drop down box allows you to change which keypad you are viewing, if multiple keypads exist in the system."

This tells me you must have a keypad connected to the RS485 and the 7TS is essentially a UI using the same API the ELK Plugin uses.

14 hours ago, rg65 said:

@Jimbo.Automates do we know if the plugin will work with the M1G 5.3.3? I don't want to update and break something.

I just ordered 2ea 7TS. I hope I'm not going to regret it!! 

Sorry, no idea, I don't have a test system so will have to upgrade mine when I have time to debug if there are issues.  But I seriously doubt there will be any issues.

50 minutes ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

.... the 7TS is essentially a UI using the same API the ELK Plugin uses.

Makes sense. And the same API via M1XEP that M1ToGo uses I would guess?....While ElkRP also connects via the M1XEP, it has M1 configuration/initialization capability that the 7TS does not. So I was hoping that I could use ElkRP for the system bringup, and not have the added expense of a keypad. But I suspect you are correct, and at least one keypad is required. It would certainly be a stronger design for Elk to support a "virtual keypad" with the 7TS and not require a physical one, but perhaps it was less development cost to keep the existing API unchanged.....Elk's target audience is probably neither frugal, nor DIY 😁

• Like 1

I have the 7TS,
This device is a network component and cannot serve as the sole keypad in an M1 system because it lacks a bus connection. It includes wireless capabilities but requires an external power source (not included). Additionally, a separate PoE adapter is available, which can both provide power to the panel and wired network connectivity.

• Like 1