trouble setting up VM and HA on New NVMe

Living up to my moniker, I'm stumped:  Per the "Increase performance or add redundancy?" blog, I installed and set up a NVMe in my new EISY using the script (sudo fl.ops setup.nvme.boot).  I did answer "Y" (I thought) to creating an additional "Storage" partition (of 500 Gb) and zpool, for setting up Home Assistant in a VM.  However when I run the HA install script (curl -s https://pkg.isy.io/script/create_ha_vm.sh | sudo bash) it errors at "cannot create 'storage/vms': no such pool 'storage'" (attached screen capture from Terminal).  "gpart show" does show the 500 Gb partition (2nd screen capture); however "zpool list" shows only one pool (zudi).  

So while I have the disk partition, I apparently didn't successfully get a zpool set up?   How do I fix this?  I did set the NVMe up for maximum performance, not mirrored, so I can't go back and rerun the NVMe set up script again.  Suggestions and/or directions for a FreeBSD & ZFS noob would be most appreciated.

John

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 2.03.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 1.57.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 2.20.17 PM.png

Look at “zpool list” and see if storage is there. If not try “sudo zpool import storage” and then look again. If you see it then you likely are hitting the bug with missing /etc/zfs directory which causes /storage not to mount at boot.

To fix it do a “sudo mkdir /etc/zfs”, “sudo zpool export storage”, “sudo zpool import storage”.

Edit: added fix and sudo command”

Try the commands I posted above to see if it imports. There was a bug in the scripts where it didn’t create the /etc/zfs directory and that stopped any non-root zfs pools from importing on reboot.

@apnar That worked; thanks very much.  The HA VM install script ran with no errors.  For my education, please: 

1. Now that I've made the directory /etc/zfs, the "storage" zpool will mount automatically upon a reboot of the EISY?

2. What does the zpool export then immediate import do?

I haven't been able to log into HA yet; the http://homeassistant.local.8123 URL doesn't work and I can't find HA in my router devices/hosts lists but I'll follow the "Home Assistant on easy not online" thread for help with that.

Again, thanks for your help.    John

1 hour ago, inovermyhead said:

@apnar That worked; thanks very much.  The HA VM install script ran with no errors.  For my education, please: 

1. Now that I've made the directory /etc/zfs, the "storage" zpool will mount automatically upon a reboot of the EISY?

2. What does the zpool export then immediate import do?

I haven't been able to log into HA yet; the http://homeassistant.local.8123 URL doesn't work and I can't find HA in my router devices/hosts lists but I'll follow the "Home Assistant on easy not online" thread for help with that.

Again, thanks for your help.    John

1) yes

2) In FreeBSD zfs keeps a list/cache of which file systems are mounted in the file "/etc/zfs/zpool.cache".  Since the /etc/zfs directory was missing the file couldn't be created so on boot nothing was mounted.  You first created the directory, but that didn't actually create the cache file.  Reimporting the pool triggered it to be written to the cache file.