Bluetooth speaker

@Techman I imagine you might not have received a response only because the supply of small bluetooth speakers is overwhelming.  Typing that into Amazon search gives you pages of them.

However, they are all not built the same.  Bose is high-end and costly (one costs $229) while others can be had for $10.  

I've always been a Bose and Sony hardware guy myself, but I try to go for quality and hope it becomes obsolete before it breaks...

I have to admit I received a cheap promo bluetooth speaker a few years ago and I take it on our vacations as I don't care if I lose it or drop it in the sink.  I've even left it outside longer than I should have; but, it's still going strong!

Ross

@Ross

I want to use the speakers only for audio messages from the EISY so the higher end speakers aren't needed. It seems that all the smaller lower end speakers are battery powered. I'm looking for one that supports an external power supply but the speakers I've come across only mention battery power.  Have you come across any that might work for me?

image.thumb.jpeg.0c9728ba48fdda6b021381df83dd2a4f.jpeg

this was given to me - i have never used it - it has a power port to recharge it but no power brick - looks like a mini usb port - dc - 5v

the other end of the mini usb cable is usb 

speakers are heavy but i have no clue how they sound

if you want it i'll send it - free 

@Techman  You're absolutely right about the power source.  AC powered BT speakers are rarer than I thought!

Here is what I found on Amazon.  I hope one of them fits what you're looking for.  They're not cheap, though.

SW208 3" Active Bluetooth 5.0 Bookshelf Speakers – 60W Carbon Fiber Speaker Unit - Built-in 24bit DAC - Dynamic 3D Surround Sound – 2.0 Computer PC Monitor Gaming Speakers (Pair, Black) - Looks like there is a place for a power cord on the back.  $70.

Computer Speakers, 24W Bluetooth Computer Soundbar, 3.5mm Aux-in Computer Speakers for Desktop Monitor, Computer Sound Bar with Deep Impactful Bass, Gaming Speakers for PC Powered by AC Adapter - $60

Logitech Z207 2.0 Multi Device Stereo Speaker - Black - $60

Good luck,

Ross

@Ross

Thanks for your help.

I think I found one that may work, It's the ANKER. It has a built-in rechargeable battery but can be plugged into a wall wart. The speaker is small and and lightweight it may work for me. I'm going to pick one up and give it a try.

Amazon.com: Upgraded, Anker Soundcore Bluetooth Speaker with IPX5 Waterproof, Stereo Sound, 24H Playtime, Portable Wireless Speaker for iPhone, Samsung and More : Electronics

\

@Techman I looked at that one.  The ones I recommended didn't have a battery.  I read articles that stated you don't want to constantly charge a battery as it will go bad over time.  However, I do that with a lot of my gizmos and haven't really had major problems.  I hope it works out for you.

@Ross

The ANKER speaker has rechargeable lithium batteries. Generally speaking lithium batteries have a built in circuit that prevents over charging.  In the past I've monitored the charging current when charging lithium batteries and noticed that the charging current drops down to zero when the batteries are fully charged.  

I've been using the Oontz Angle 3 Ultra for the past 3 years.  My Son renovates/rents houses and condo's.  We use the speakers while we're renovating.  At night, I use them for "rain sounds".  Long battery life (that you don't need) and convenient USB C charging.

One possible problem - the speaker will power down when it looses the Bluetooth input.  I like this for use with my "night sounds".  Not desirable for operation with the EIsy.  I suspect this may be the case for many of this style speaker. 

I've just paired one of the speakers to my laptop - speaker is powered via USB.  Will let you know if it shuts down.

Angle 3 Ultra

Posted (edited)

I just received my ANKER Bluetooth speaker. It works well the the Eisy. It has a rechargeable battery that will keep it powered up for 24 hours, which could be helpful in the event of a power failure. You can keep it continually plugged into the charger (a 5 volt, 2 amp wall wart) which is not included. When the battery is fully charged it will not draw any current from the charger so it's OK to leave it continuously plugged in.  Size is about 6" x 1 3/4" x 2 1/4 a small package with excellent volume output.

The only current drawback is if the eisy is rebooted it will lose its bluetooth connection with the speaker and not automatically reestablish it. UD is aware of this and will hopefully find a fix.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 112951.jpg

Edited by Techman
  • Like 2