Wired Ring doorbell questions

K-bert
Go to solution Solved by Goose66,

I just installed the Ring plugin into Polyglot. I am running PG3x Version 3.2.17 and IoX v.5.8.0 on my EISY.

I authenticated the plugin and that seemed to work fine. I was then able to bring the Ring node into my EISY. I clicked on the "Test Ring" and the result is "Success".

I now have Ring in the drop downs on the left side of the Admin Console with Front Door and Front Door (Motion) under it.

So far I think I've done everything right.

Under Front Door I have the Status listed as "online". I do not have any battery life of mV information, but I also don't expect any as this is a wired device powered by my homes original 24V transformer. Is my expectation true or should I be seeing the voltage that the Ring is receiving?

I also wanted to run a program to turn the porch lights on when motion is detected. I previously had this working through IFTTT, but it was a bit clumsy and had to be restarted from time to time. Originally I had a state variable that was set to 1 by IFTTT and a program that turned on the lights and then set the variable back to 0 after a delay.

I wanted to modify this program and add the Ring Motion from the node to directly control the program. However, I can't find anything about "Front Door (Motion)" in the drop downs for status in the IF part of the program.

I went back to the Main tab and Front Door (Motion) has nothing in it other than the name and the address. I also noticed that I don't have anything tell me that someone has rung the bell. Does the doorbell need to be rung or detect motion before the needed information is populated in IoX?

I am remotely working on my EISY so I can't go ring the bell or walk in front of it.

Thanks for any information!

K

• Solution
Posted (edited)

There should be battery information related to your "Front Door" node, even if it is powered by the 12V doorbell transformer. See below for mine of the same type:

image.thumb.png.ab72b169e59b05bb6258aad789eb5d33.png

Motion detection is facilitated by the "Front Door (Motion)" node, not through a state change but through a command ("Motion") that is received from the node when motion is detected. Use a "Control" condition from the "Front Door (Motion)" node instead of a "Status" condition, like the following:

Front Entry on Doorbell - 
If
        (
             'Perimeter / Ring / Front Door' is switched Ding
          Or 'Perimeter / Ring / Front Door (Motion)' is switched Motion
        )
    And From    Sunset  + 15 minutes
        To      Sunrise (next day)
Then
        Set 'Perimeter / Front Entry' On
        Wait  12 minutes 
        Set 'Perimeter / Front Entry' Off
Else
        Set 'Perimeter / Front Entry' Off

Also, I think I did notice when I first added this plugin that the states were not populated until one or more events were received from the Ring service, but that was a while ago.

Edited by Goose66

I was just typing a response about getting the program to work when you answered:

I should have played with is some more before posting, I think I have answered most of my questions.

I was using "Status" instead of "Control" in the program. Using Control gets me the "..../Ring/Front Door (Motion) is switched Motion.

Not sure why I am not getting any voltage information, but so long as the motion and ding parametres work I'm not fussed about it.

Thank you for your reply.

K

Here's an additional piece of (completely unsolicited) advice: I have disabled this program because we occasionally receive deliveries in the evening (e.g., Uber Eats), and I have noticed if the porch light comes on as the delivery driver is walking up to the front door, the driver will assume you know they're there and NOT ring the doorbell.

Edited by Goose66

This is how I do it

Ring Battery - [ID 0003][Parent 0038]

If
        'Lighting Premise / Ring - Front Door' Battery life is 25%
     Or 'Lighting Premise / Ring - Front Door' Battery life is 20%
     Or 'Lighting Premise / Ring - Front Door' Battery life is 15%

Then
        Set 'Notifications / Service Pushover Battery' Send Sys Custom With Params Priority=Normal Format=None Sound=Vibrate Only Retry=30 Expire=60 Content 17 Notification ID (ID=17)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Its good advice. Unfortunately my wife frowns upon ordering food to the house except for special occasions. So for me at least it isn't much of an issue. I also run the porch lights at a dimmed level in the evenings using the sunset time in my EISY. I use the motion to bring them up to full brightness.

K