ISY 994 no longer sending emails to SMTP server

Go to solution Solved by Techowl,

It seems the program no longer sends email to my bellaliant SMTP server. No message is given, the emails just do not arrive.

I have noticed that the unit just gives a quick flash of the blue LED, and as I recall it use the flash for several seconds when sending the email out.

Running version 4.9.0 software,

That Key Captcha thing is borked. Most images are cropped so you cannot tell what they are.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

I found a solution.

I believe that Bell Aliant has turned off SMTP connections to the mail server from older devices.

After finding an old listing in the group, I set up an extra Google Gmail account just for ISY994 use.

I activated the 2 step verification successfully, but I could not find the "APP Passwords"

It turns out that Google has moved or hidden it. It is now at https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords

You have to jump through a few hoops, but once you get that magic code it works great!

The very useful wiki info can be found here;

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY994:Configure_Mail_Server_Settings#Configuring_gmail_Account

Edited by Techowl
  • Like 1

@Techowl Yeah, the wiki was updated about 2 years ago after Google/Gmail changed how the logins worked. Seems they moved where to get the App Password into the "2-Step Verification" section. 

Interesting that your provider might have shut down sending. SMTP use by the ISY994 isn't any different than sending from Outlook or a mobile device (usually). It's likely the port changed or their security process changed (like Google). 

I see this from the Bell Aliant support page:

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtpa.bellaliant.net

Port: 2225

Authentication required: Yes

TLS / SSL required: No

Usually I would expect the port to be 465 or 587. Odd that they don't require TSL or SSL. Were you sending emails to an email address or trying to send email to text? If to text/mobile # it's possible your carrier is blocking that process. 

Glad Gmail is working though. 

4 hours ago, Geddy said:

@Techowl Yeah, the wiki was updated about 2 years ago after Google/Gmail changed how the logins worked. Seems they moved where to get the App Password into the "2-Step Verification" section. 

Interesting that your provider might have shut down sending. SMTP use by the ISY994 isn't any different than sending from Outlook or a mobile device (usually). It's likely the port changed or their security process changed (like Google). 

I see this from the Bell Aliant support page:

Usually I would expect the port to be 465 or 587. Odd that they don't require TSL or SSL. Were you sending emails to an email address or trying to send email to text? If to text/mobile # it's possible your carrier is blocking that process. 

Glad Gmail is working though. 

I tried all the variations in an attempt to make it work, but it just would not go. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed the security as it seems that anyone can use the server to send spam emails at will. The settings you saw were the ones that used to work for me, until about 2 weeks ago,

• Like 2