Any way to suppress the Pushover App Name in Message?

Posted (edited)

I just moved from using the pushover email gateway to using this node server to deliver my pushover messages from the customized messages on the AC (configuration->emails/notifications->Customizations) - when using the email gateway, the subject line appeared in bold at the top of the pushover message with the message below that, but with the NS, the app name is in bold, then the subject below it and then the message below that -

For example - email gateway

Occupancy Update

house is occupied 17:22:50

but NS format

PG3-Notify

Occupancy Update

Is there any way to suppress the unnecessary app name (PG3-Notify) at the top of the pushover notifications?

EDIT: I see that in the pushover app settings menu it says "If messages are sent with no title, this name will be displayed." - referring to the App Name (PG3-Notify) - so it seems like the NS sends the subject as part of the message body, rather than the subject/title?

Edited by JTsao
Posted (edited)

I get pushover messages via the Notifications server daily and I don't have that happen. 

image.thumb.png.cff18e1ee08615cfa6fb9a01453e4d37.png

Are you using the default UDM notification template (red arrow), or defining your own (blue)?

image.thumb.png.4def462712ab1b03eceb9900433b41c3.png

Also, not sure it should matter, do you have the the pay for production version? I think you have to, but its the only other thing I can think of

Edited by paulbates
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

For the example at hand, I am doing this (code and message below) - but this happens with all my custom messages:  I have not created a notification object for most of the messages - also, I am not seeing a "purchase" button - I think I bought this NS a while back but have not really used it until this recent UD email server problem

home-occupancy-notify-0 - [ID 0188][Parent 012C]

If
        $sHomeOccupied is 0

Then
        Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover JeffKris' Send Sys Custom With Params Content 55 Notification ID (ID=55)
        Wait  1 minute 

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

image.thumb.png.b52c5281ace3abe1e545b34d02b1e169.png

Edited by JTsao

I can get a Pushover message to not display the app name via Network Resources: the key is that there is a parameter, "title=Occupancy Update", that, when present, Pushover uses to replace the App name with the title.  I don't see a way in the Notify NS to specify the title - via the Pushover email gateway, the title is coming from the Subject (as above)

On 5/3/2024 at 9:24 AM, JTsao said:

but NS format

PG3-Notify

Occupancy Update

Hmmm. I'm out of ideas, it all looks similar to how I use it. Going back to your first post, this is how it looks in the pushover client on ios/android?  I would ask @bpwwer to comment.

Posted (edited)

@Jimbo.Automates- would you consider a feature request for "send sys custom with params" to use the subject from the message defined under the AC configuration->emails/notifications->customizations for the "title=" parameter when sending the POST to pushover? 

I think the subject is currently sent as part of the "message=".   If the subject is left blank, then the "title=" could be skipped, resulting in the app name being displayed - this way there is user control to do this either way.  I can confirm via network resources that when "title=XXXXX" is specified, then XXXXX is displayed in bold instead of the app name (which is redundant, not useful information).

Also, notify nodes are always displaying the app name as well - in that case, a means of specifying the title would be needed on the AC menu( with the other options) and perhaps if left blank then it results in the app name being displayed.  Thanks for considering.

Edited by JTsao
Fixed mention
5 hours ago, JTsao said:

@Jimbo.Automates- would you consider a feature request for "send sys custom with params" to use the subject from the message defined under the AC configuration->emails/notifications->customizations for the "title=" parameter when sending the POST to pushover? 

I think the subject is currently sent as part of the "message=".   If the subject is left blank, then the "title=" could be skipped, resulting in the app name being displayed - this way there is user control to do this either way.  I can confirm via network resources that when "title=XXXXX" is specified, then XXXXX is displayed in bold instead of the app name (which is redundant, not useful information).

Yes, will look into it issue created: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc-PG3/udi-poly-notification/issues/55

But I'm not home, and my development Polisy seems to be down and not coming back up so will try to work on it when I return home.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JTsao said:

I have this working and will do more testing and release soon.

10 hours ago, JTsao said:

Also, notify nodes are always displaying the app name as well - in that case, a means of specifying the title would be needed on the AC menu( with the other options) and perhaps if left blank then it results in the app name being displayed.  Thanks for considering.

I'm not sure how we would have a list of appropriate subjects since AC doesn't allow inputting any string.  What about just making the node name the Title?  I have done that and can release if you think it makes sense and nobody has an issue with it.

Edited by Jimbo.Automates
40 minutes ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

I'm not sure how we would have a list of appropriate subjects since AC doesn't allow inputting any string.  What about just making the node name the Title?  I have done that and can release if you think it makes sense and nobody has an issue with it.

I didn't realize that you can't input a string - I think what you suggested would be good - users could name the node accordingly to get the subject/title line that they want - thanks for doing all of this

• Like 1